USA wjc evaluation camp starts tomorrow

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
The U-18 tourny was the nail in the coffin for any chance he had at the U-20s.

He has an absolute ton to prove and I hope he can prove me and everyone wrong. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Neither is USA Hockey, from what I can gather. They seemed rather pissed off with him.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
does anyone else think its a slap in the face that sanguinetti wasnt invited to begin with, then gets drafted in the 1st round, and now two defensemen are missing camp and he still doesnt get an invite?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
does anyone else think its a slap in the face that sanguinetti wasnt invited to begin with, then gets drafted in the 1st round, and now two defensemen are missing camp and he still doesnt get an invite?

Now he knows how Matt Lashoff felt last year when the team took at least one defensive stiff to Vancouver when they sure could have used Lashoff's speed and offensive skills.

People can talk all they want about how these snubs aren't political, but they are. Not that I'm a big Sanguinetti fan, but he should be there. Why isn't he?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Now he knows how Matt Lashoff felt last year when the team took at least one defensive stiff to Vancouver when they sure could have used Lashoff's speed and offensive skills.

People can talk all they want about how these snubs aren't political, but they are. Not that I'm a big Sanguinetti fan, but he should be there. Why isn't he?

Well, at least Lashoff was invited to the camp. Sanguinetti not being invited is pure politics. He signed a letter of intent to play for the USNTDP, and bailed at the last moment. A stupid reason to exclude him, but it's their reason.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Well, at least Lashoff was invited to the camp. Sanguinetti not being invited is pure politics. He signed a letter of intent to play for the USNTDP, and bailed at the last moment. A stupid reason to exclude him, but it's their reason.

its just odd that 2 guys that were passed over in the draft twice were invited from the beginning over a 1st rounder. i feel bad for the kid, hopefully usahockey will end there political picks soon.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
its just odd that 2 guys that were passed over in the draft twice were invited from the beginning over a 1st rounder. i feel bad for the kid, hopefully usahockey will end there political picks soon.

It is odd, and unfortunate. Sanguinetti would have a filled a nice niche on not only the camp roster but the team as well.

STS44

Apr 13, 2006

Is this a politically motivated exclusion or what? Sanguinetti is a 1st round NHL pick and he isn't even invited to the evaluation camp???? Come on guys - stop the BS political nonsense and invite the best American players regardless of where they play hockey - whether it be in a US college or a Canadian Junior League. This really reeks of favoritism towards US colleges and discrimination against those US players going to Canada to play junior. And yeah I know Mueller and Ryan were invited - they are so obvious and talented that if they weren't invited then everyone would
see what a politically motivated thing the whole USDTP/WJC evaluation process is. I see Pat Kane is invited? What do you think the odds of him going to London are now? I'm sure he was only invited after guranteeing he was going to fast track and play US college. If he has committed to London early on I'm sure he wouldn't have been invited ....

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Is this a politically motivated exclusion or what? Sanguinetti is a 1st round NHL pick and he isn't even invited to the evaluation camp???? Come on guys - stop the BS political nonsense and invite the best American players regardless of where they play hockey - whether it be in a US college or a Canadian Junior League. This really reeks of favoritism towards US colleges and discrimination against those US players going to Canada to play junior. And yeah I know Mueller and Ryan were invited - they are so obvious and talented that if they weren't invited then everyone would
see what a politically motivated thing the whole USDTP/WJC evaluation process is. I see Pat Kane is invited? What do you think the odds of him going to London are now? I'm sure he was only invited after guranteeing he was going to fast track and play US college. If he has committed to London early on I'm sure he wouldn't have been invited ....

i think usahockey is overly political, but in their defense, i dont think they are anti-chl. i think they are loyal to guys that came through the program, and are familiar with their style of play and attitude. sanguinetti should be invited and hes excluded bc of politics, and backing out on his agreement. it wont hurt kanes chances if he goes to london, bc he already put in his time with the program, and they know what their getting.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
FYI, the USA Hockey site has been updated and inlcudes the practice and game schedules plus the USA Team White and and Team Blue rosters

http://www.usahockey.com/international/main_site/main/home/06_jr_eval_home/

While I agree about USA Hockey being political, in response to the CHL post, I don't think Sanguinetti's non-invite has to do with the CHL route as much as it has to do with the change of mind/pull-out from the national program, etc.

as to the Swedish and Finnish rosters;

see post 28 in the thread below for the Finnish roster

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270793&page=2

I know I saw a Swedish roster before Backstrom announced he was not going; I will try to track it down.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
FYI, the USA Hockey site has been updated and inlcudes the practice and game schedules plus the USA Team White and and Team Blue rosters

http://www.usahockey.com/international/main_site/main/home/06_jr_eval_home/

While I agree about USA Hockey being political, in response to the CHL post, I don't think Sanguinetti's non-invite has to do with the CHL route as much as it has to do with the change of mind/pull-out from the national program, etc.

as to the Swedish and Finnish rosters;

see post 28 in the thread below for the Finnish roster

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270793&page=2

I know I saw a Swedish roster before Backstrom announced he was not going; I will try to track it down.

I agree. If Sanguinetti would have honored his commitment or have played it straight with USA Hockey he would have been invited to the camp.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
ok, a link to the Swedish roster

Swedish Roster for Lake Placid PDF File

Link to Swedish team schedule including practice info (I imagine this stuff could change)

and some Swedish info/updates, but needs a Swedish poster to translate :)

http://www.swehockey.se/t2.asp?p=65501&x=1&a=436562

http://www.swehockey.se/t2.asp?p=65501&x=1&a=437194

edit: and another schedule on the Swedish hockey site by date including USA practices and all games
again, I imagine some of this info is subject to change, i.e., practice times, etc., I would use the USA Hockey site for updates, especially for USA team specific info

http://www.swehockey.se/files/{CD226954-B5A8-4AD6-8000-ADDE6EDDFCB5}.pdf

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jon, we get the fact that you don't like Nigel, but you don't have to rip him every time someone says something about him. Move on.

Don't worry Jon....if i see Nigel is mentioned somewhere, and you haven't bashed him yet....i've got your back. The kid has a looooooooooooong way to go before he is considered a top prospect...for USA hockey, for NCAA or the NHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Don't worry Jon....if i see Nigel is mentioned somewhere, and you haven't bashed him yet....i've got your back. The kid has a looooooooooooong way to go before he is considered a top prospect...for USA hockey, for NCAA or the NHL.

While I recognize that Williams has a ways to go, he was on the U18 team, is going to a top program in Wisconsin, and was a high second round draft pick. It's pretty safe to say there are several people who feel he is a pretty good prospect.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How is what Sanguinetti did or did not do to USA hockey any different than what Mueller did. Mueller was all set to go to the gophers. Then he jumps ship. He still got his invite and made the team.

Lots of good or questionable moves have been made. I cannot stand diver down Earl. But he got the job done. And he missed out. Stoa has a world of skills. But did not always show up. He looked at least as good as Wheeler did and Wheeler made the team Stoa did not.

Look at the top 4 D. Lee, Chorney and the Johnsons. Think they need more offense anyway? And if you look at some of the other guys. All close to six feet and 200 pounds. Think USA wants to go big and mean on D and fly on O. Sanguinetti last i saw was 6 feet and 175.

And i have to quote a great coach on this one. "i am not looking for the best players, i am looking for the right ones." Whetehr USA plans work or dont i think they have a mind set of what they want the team to look like. Not as much which names are on it.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
How is what Sanguinetti did or did not do to USA hockey any different than what Mueller did. Mueller was all set to go to the gophers. Then he jumps ship. He still got his invite and made the team.

Lots of good or questionable moves have been made. I cannot stand diver down Earl. But he got the job done. And he missed out. Stoa has a world of skills. But did not always show up. He looked at least as good as Wheeler did and Wheeler made the team Stoa did not.

Look at the top 4 D. Lee, Chorney and the Johnsons. Think they need more offense anyway? And if you look at some of the other guys. All close to six feet and 200 pounds. Think USA wants to go big and mean on D and fly on O. Sanguinetti last i saw was 6 feet and 175.

And i have to quote a great coach on this one. "i am not looking for the best players, i am looking for the right ones." Whetehr USA plans work or dont i think they have a mind set of what they want the team to look like. Not as much which names are on it.

its completely different then muellers situation. minnesota is not picking the team, usahockey is, and thats the organization sanguinetti renegged on his commitment with. everyone knew mueller was never gonna play college hockey, he didnt have the grades. whether sanguinetti should make the team or not isnt the issue, its the fact that he is very talented and was bypassed twice for an invite to camp for political reasons.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
its completely different then muellers situation. minnesota is not picking the team, usahockey is, and thats the organization sanguinetti renegged on his commitment with. everyone knew mueller was never gonna play college hockey, he didnt have the grades. whether sanguinetti should make the team or not isnt the issue, its the fact that he is very talented and was bypassed twice for an invite to camp for political reasons.
All the defensemen that were invited to the camp are very good. Just because he was taken in the first round dosen't make him a lock for the for the team. IMO he is no better than any of the defensmen invited and they should have one of the strongest World Junior teams defensively. I have no doubt that what he did to the NTDP program has something to do with his snub from the camp but he's no Bobby Orr and he is easily replaced.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
All the defensemen that were invited to the camp are very good. Just because he was taken in the first round dosen't make him a lock for the for the team. IMO he is no better than any of the defensmen invited and they should have one of the strongest World Junior teams defensively. I have no doubt that what he did to the NTDP program has something to do with his snub from the camp but he's no Bobby Orr and he is easily replaced.

Ok, but they could even be stronger defensivley as well as offensivley if they had him.

IMO he should be a 4/5 defenseman on this team. He should of at least gotten an invite then got cut if they didnt like him. Looks bad on USA hockeys part with the politics.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jon, we get the fact that you don't like Nigel, but you don't have to rip him every time someone says something about him. Move on.

The problem is that people just assume that since he's a 2nd round pick he should be on such and such a squad or is automatically some awesome prospect -- neither of which are true.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

And this is a rule that the US should quickly abolish. I think we've all been saying that for years now. It still makes zero sense to have that unwritten policy.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Well, one win since the tourny's inception in 1974 pretty much says all that needs to be said. If or when USA Hockey gets qualified people to pick and coach this team then they may have more success. If they continue with the incompetence/bias then they will keep getting the same results.

BTW, I do understand the loyalty to the NTDP program but it doesn't seem to be working.

Chuck Schwartz

Dec 11, 2004
Wisconsin
www.buckyhockey.com
The problem is that people just assume that since he's a 2nd round pick he should be on such and such a squad or is automatically some awesome prospect -- neither of which are true.

And we understand that. I know Nigel shouldnt have been invited to the camp. And everyone else does to the first 10 times you said it. I was simply stating that it was overkill that you had to keep re-peating yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->