USA U18 Team Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
This is the team that will be going to the U18 WJC's next week...

Forwards Kevin Porter (Detroit, Mich.), Matt Auffrey (Evans Mills, NY), Bryan Lerg (Livonia, Mich.), Nathan Davis (Rocky River, Ohio), Jarod Palmer (Fridley, Minn.), Kevin Swallow (Stanwood, Mich.), Tom Fritsche (Parma, Ohio), Brandon Scero (Canton, Mich.), Jack Skille (Madison, Wis.), Nathan Gerbe (Oxford, Mich.), Chad Kolarik (Abington, Pa.), Geoff Paukovich (Englewood, Co.) and Phil Kessel (Madison, WI).

Defensemen Jason DeSantis (Oxford, Mich.), Mike Brennan (Smithtown, N.Y.), Brett Bevis (Harvard, Mass.), Zach Jones (Lisle, Ill.), Joe Grimaldi (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.), Nate Hagemo (Edina, Minn.) and Jack Johnson (Fairbault, Minn.).

Goalies Jeff Frazee (Burnsville, Minn.) and Cory Schneider (Marblehead, Mass.).

Schneider is the only addition from outside the NTDP. I was really hoping to see Thelen added as his season is over and he played with this team last year. I don't know if he was asked or not. It should also be noted that 6 players are '87 born. I'm glad that they'll get the experience but it's hard to imagine a team relying on so many young players going far in the tournament.

db23

cagney said:

Forwards Kevin Porter (Detroit, Mich.), Matt Auffrey (Evans Mills, NY), Bryan Lerg (Livonia, Mich.), Nathan Davis (Rocky River, Ohio), Jarod Palmer (Fridley, Minn.), Kevin Swallow (Stanwood, Mich.), Tom Fritsche (Parma, Ohio), Brandon Scero (Canton, Mich.), Jack Skille (Madison, Wis.), Nathan Gerbe (Oxford, Mich.), Chad Kolarik (Abington, Pa.), Geoff Paukovich (Englewood, Co.) and Phil Kessel (Madison, WI).

Defensemen Jason DeSantis (Oxford, Mich.), Mike Brennan (Smithtown, N.Y.), Brett Bevis (Harvard, Mass.), Zach Jones (Lisle, Ill.), Joe Grimaldi (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.), Nate Hagemo (Edina, Minn.) and Jack Johnson (Fairbault, Minn.).

Schneider is the only addition from outside the NTDP. I was really hoping to see Thelen added as his season is over and he played with this team last year. I don't know if he was asked or not. It should also be noted that 6 players are '87 born. I'm glad that they'll get the experience but it's hard to imagine a team relying on so many young players going far in the tournament.

They're going to be awesome next year, with Kessel, Johnson, Skille, Gerbe, Jones, Mitera, Mueller, etc. :eek:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
:handclap: Joe Grimaldi :handclap:

I know Joe, he's from my town and he went to the same high school (Sachem).

I've been following his career for a few years now. He was drafted by the Windsor Spitfires a few years back but went the college route and has been in the NTDP program for the last few years. I'm definitely excited to see him earn a spot on the U-18 WJC team. Will definitely be sharing the news with the boys back at school. Joe's family still lives here, so hopefully when he comes home for the summer I'll be able to chat with him.

For anybody that has seen him this year, how are his chances at being picked this summer at the NHL draft?

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
sveiglar said:
Danny's brother, or unrelated?

Yes...they are brothers...at least I am almost positive..too lazy right now to check.

Tom is not following in his brothers footsteps however, and is going the NCAA route, committed to Ohio State

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:

I think this might be an instance where sheer talent wins out over experience. This is an awesome squad talent wise, and have been together for quite some time. I'm interested into seeing how Schneider plays, assuming he gets some action. As a draft eligible player this year, he could really help his position with a great tournament. Probable first or early second round draft pick IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
TMHUNH said:
Yes...they are brothers...at least I am almost positive..too lazy right now to check.

Tom is not following in his brothers footsteps however, and is going the NCAA route, committed to Ohio State

They are brothers. From Parma, Ohio.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
I saw grimaldi play and was really impressed by him. Haven't heard any talk of him draftwise though

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think this might be an instance where sheer talent wins out over experience. This is an awesome squad talent wise, and have been together for quite some time. I'm interested into seeing how Schneider plays, assuming he gets some action. As a draft eligible player this year, he could really help his position with a great tournament. Probable first or early second round draft pick IMO.

Well, I guess they have quite the act to follow as the US team last August won the U18 World Cup with '86 born players. This tourney is virtually the same, put on by the IIHF for the same age group, but the USA will sending a totally different team than what they sent last summer. The USA last year beat Canada in OT in the semi's and Russia in the final.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
If you haven't heard DG, Grimaldi is committed to Nebraska-Omaha for next season (same college as Ranger prospect Chris Holt). As for his draft potential, I am not positive what kind of stock he's got but for the style he plays (defensive minded) he's a little bit smaller than what NHL teams want so that might hurt him.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

So who has the better team on paper right now....Canada or the USA??

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
X-SHARKIE said:
How Jack Skille is on the U-18 team boggles me. I shut him down in my freshman year when he was sophmore....good size and fast, but he's got issues in his head.

Your tenacious D must have sparked a desire in him to do better and take that next step.......... :bow:

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
Ryan is still a 1987 born and 'technically' his time to go to the tourney would be next year or to the U18 World Cup this summer.

Off topic, where's U18 World Cup in August going to be held?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
It didn't help them at the Under-17s

Yeah, they didn't even medal did they???.....against 5 Regional teams from Canada. Canada took home all the hardware with their 1987 born players. That year could be strong for the Canadians and Crosby didn't even play in that tourney....the best 1987 on the planet!

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
HabLover said:
Yeah, they didn't even medal did they???.....against 5 Regional teams from Canada. Canada took home all the hardware with their 1987 born players. That year could be strong for the Canadians and Crosby didn't even play in that tourney....the best 1987 on the planet!

That's right. It's not that the Americans are bad, although their goaltending was questionable. They have some definite talent there, but the age group is very strong for all of the teams. Should be interesting... but with three Canadian regional teams (out of 5) taking home the medals at the Under-17s you have to think the Canadians are the favorite. Bot to mention the fact USA was together all year and the five regional teams met for the first time shortly after Christmas.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
That's right. It's not that the Americans are bad, although their goaltending was questionable. They have some definite talent there, but the age group is very strong for all of the teams. Should be interesting... but with three Canadian regional teams (out of 5) taking home the medals at the Under-17s you have to think the Canadians are the favorite. Bot to mention the fact USA was together all year and the five regional teams met for the first time shortly after Christmas.

Well, I guess we'll see this summer when Canada assembles one team of 1987 born players at the U18 World Cup in August. Crosby won't be on that team, but you will see Brule, Bertram, Cogliano, Latendresse, Bradford, Lamb, Paquet, Levasseur, etc. They will definitely be loaded with talent, but can Canadian Hockey select the 'right' team from the 5 regional teams.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
HabLover said:
Well, I guess we'll see this summer when Canada assembles one team of 1987 born players at the U18 World Cup in August. Crosby won't be on that team, but you will see Brule, Bertram, Cogliano, Latendresse, Bradford, Lamb, Paquet, Levasseur, etc. They will definitely be loaded with talent, but can Canadian Hockey select the 'right' team from the 5 regional teams.

That's always the question... and they always make blatant mistakes. On paper we look good, so let's hope we don't get screwed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad