WC: USA Roster

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Anything less than a gold medal game appearance for this team would be a big disappointment

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
As a NJ guy I should love Gaudreau but he just annoys me. Always whining and has this stupid pouty look on his face. Think it takes away from his play which is a shame.

Reactions: Rob

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well Finland went to OT so they got a point. If the US loses to Finland in regulation Finland is 1st any other result the US is in first.

Kookel

May 10, 2018
Tenerife
Well Finland went to OT so they got a point. If the US loses to Finland in regulation Finland is 1st any other result the US is in first.

It's remotely likely USA, Canada and Finland can all end up with 19 points.
Is it then goal difference or H2H?

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Meant 16 points ofc

It'd be 1. FIN 2. USA 3. CAN due to H2H if that scenario happens, I think (CAN lost vs both teams and FIN would have to had beat USA in regulation to have 16 pts). If the H2H results in a three-way points tie were equal it would go GD, GF, results vs. lower teams and finally IIHF ranking.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
U.S. Defeats Norway, 9-3, to Remain Unbeaten at 2018 MWC

Anders Lee (Edina, Minn.) and Atkinson each scored in the final 3:22 of the period to push the U.S. lead to 7-1 after 40 minutes. Lee’s tally came when he finished a feed from Larkin on a two-on-one rush while Atkinson scored a net-front goal to earn his third point of the game. The goals were back-to-back contributors to U.S. tournament milestones, as Johnny Gaudreau's (Salem, N.J.) assist on Lee's goal marked his 20th career assist in Men's World Championship play, tying Craig Smith for the U.S. career tournament record. Additionally, with an assist on Atkinson's goal, Kane has now registered 10 assists in tournament play, tying the U.S. record for most assists in a single Men's World Championship shared by Max Pacioretty and Smith.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
worst we can finish is 2nd, Canada can not pass us no matter what we do is an awesome feeling right now...With Finland losing to Germany, Tuesday is going to be a massive game as they will be pissed, but knowing that if we win we are #1, if we lose in no matter any fashion we are #2 and that means a still very favorable matchup for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
worst we can finish is 2nd, Canada can not pass us no matter what we do is an awesome feeling right now...With Finland losing to Germany, Tuesday is going to be a massive game as they will be pissed, but knowing that if we win we are #1, if we lose in no matter any fashion we are #2 and that means a still very favorable matchup for us.

I would rather play the Swiss though for sure and they seem likely to be 4th in the other group. So hopefully we at least force overtime against Finland.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Hope so love Canada ’s goaltending. :naughty::D

Goaltending aside, I wouldn't be so cocky as to hope for a second meeting with Canada after 1 shootout win. That didn't work out so well for the Finns in 2016 when they smoked us 4-0 in prelims only to lose to Canada 1-0 in the final.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Goaltending aside, I wouldn't be so cocky as to hope for a second meeting with Canada after 1 shootout win. That didn't work out so well for the Finns in 2016 when they smoked us 4-0 in prelims only to lose to Canada 1-0 in the final.
we match up well with Canada, always have, both North America teams play similar styles. Nobody is rooting for the US to face Canada, but none of us fear them anymore that is for sure...not here at least.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
we match up well with Canada, always have, both North America teams play similar styles. Nobody is rooting for the US to face Canada, but none of us fear them anymore that is for sure...not here at least.

I respect your stance on the entire thing and I really don't want to come across as cocky but I mean this is a country that has been to the past 3 finals with 2 golds to show for it. I guess I just can't see eye to eye on how 1 shootout victory over us would erase all fear of playing Canada.

I feel if there's one lesson to learn in international hockey (and again really not trying to be arrogant here) its that you should never judge/underestimate Canada based on its performance in the preliminary stages of a tournament. There are literally years and years of proof of this backfiring for numerous nations.

Anyways, good luck moving forward and it would be cool to see a rematch of our two great nations!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I respect your stance on the entire thing and I really don't want to come across as cocky but I mean this is a country that has been to the past 3 finals with 2 golds to show for it. I guess I just can't see eye to eye on how 1 shootout victory over us would erase all fear of playing Canada.

I feel if there's one lesson to learn in international hockey (and again really not trying to be arrogant here) its that you should never judge/underestimate Canada based on its performance in the preliminary stages of a tournament. There are literally years and years of proof of this backfiring for numerous nations.

Anyways, good luck moving forward and it would be cool to see a rematch of our two great nations!
again, I don't see anyone under estimating Canada. I saw one comment that was more tongue in cheek here...those of us who post in the US thread, most have been watching this for years, we have witnessed every ass beating Canada has ever given us, over and over again. we have been through it all, but pointing out a glaring weakness that Canada has in their goaltending isn't anyone taking them lightly, it is a glimmer of hope here. we feel that this is one of the strongest overall teams we have sent here, they have played pretty good, but still another level to reach. if we play Canada at any point in the QF, I firmly believe we have a good shot at winning, not many years we could have said that before.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
again, I don't see anyone under estimating Canada. I saw one comment that was more tongue in cheek here...those of us who post in the US thread, most have been watching this for years, we have witnessed every ass beating Canada has ever given us, over and over again. we have been through it all, but pointing out a glaring weakness that Canada has in their goaltending isn't anyone taking them lightly, it is a glimmer of hope here. we feel that this is one of the strongest overall teams we have sent here, they have played pretty good, but still another level to reach. if we play Canada at any point in the QF, I firmly believe we have a good shot at winning, not many years we could have said that before.

I understand. Yea Canada's goaltending is pretty weak this tournament surprising too considering two of the guys on our management team are Martin Brodeur and Sean Burke...two former goalies. You'd think them making calls to goalies in the NHL would make them think twice about saying no..I mean how do you say no to Martin Brodeur giving you a call asking to play for Canada? lol.

But ya you're right US might have a shot this year, good luck!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It's remotely likely USA, Canada and Finland can all end up with 19 points.
Is it then goal difference or H2H?

H2h points but Canada has zero and Finland would have six so its still Finland wins in regulation and they are first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->