WC: USA Roster

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If I had to choose a roster today, based on current availability and a balance between the players I would want in an ideal world versus the likelihood that the majority of the top Americans will decline, I'd be looking at something like this:

Forwards (x13):

Johnny Gaudreau - Vincent Trocheck - Chris Kreider
Anders Lee - Adam Gaudette - Clayton Keller
Alex Galchenyuk - Derek Stepan - Matthew Tkachuk
Nick Schmaltz - Christian Dvorak - Nick Bjugstad
Alex DeBrincat

Defense (x7):

Jaccob Slavin - Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy - Brett Pesce
Daniel Brickley - Jeff Petry
Connor Murphy

Goalies (x2):

Jimmy Howard
Craig Anderson

Notes:
  • Max roster is 25 (22 skaters, 3 goalies), so I hopefully USAH doesn't fill up so many roster spots with plugs early on. They will, but I hope not.
  • My unfounded optimism, paired with some of the chosen talent still in NHL playoff contention, will mean the initial roster won't look nearly as good, but nevertheless I'm particularly interested to see if some of the d-men that have little-to-no recent USAH experience (Slavin, Leddy, Pesce, Yandle, etc.) choose to play.
  • A lot of talent available, but some of the injuries to top young players who would be decent bets to play, coupled with guys (Larkin, Nelson) that love to play when called but need contracts, is a bummer.
  • This could be an interesting "redemption" roster with guys like Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Ryan, Saad, etc. that would probably love to play some games away from their NHL teams and end the season with some positive memories. I don't expect most of them to even consider it, but it would be an interesting angle if they're interested.
  • From the Olympic team, I'd consider Ryan Donato, Troy Terry, Brian O'Neill, and maybe Ryan Zapolski. That's it. Well, I'd also consider Dan Sexton and Ryan Lasch as both should have been at the Olympics. I don't have any of them on my team though, mostly because I still have too much optimism in my picks, and it's possible Donato and Terry sign and are in the NHL if their respective teams are still playing.
  • I'll believe it when it happens: Patrick Kane, Max Pacioretty, Bobby Ryan, Brandon Saad, Keith Yandle, Alex Goligoski
  • Currently injured: Jack Eichel, Brock Boeser, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Wideman (UFA), Jake McCabe, Erik Johnson
  • Pending free agents: Vinnie Hinostroza, Matt Nieto, Dylan Larkin, Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey, Brady Skjei, Brock Nelson, Derek Ryan, Noah Hanifin
  • Also considered: Ryan Dzingel, Troy Terry, Ryan Donato, Christian Fischer, Luke Glendending, Brian O'Neill, Colin Wilson, JT Compher, Kyle Okposo, Jason Pominville, Justin Abdelkader, Danny DeKeyeser, Jimmy Schuldt, Dan Sexton, Ryan Lasch

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't know why we do this every year, but dammit we do...we believe!! lol..

Thanks 1980 USA Hockey team for allow us to believe miracles can happen, like getting a full roster of NHLers for the WC....

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I don't know why we do this every year, but dammit we do...we believe!! lol..

Thanks 1980 USA Hockey team for allow us to believe miracles can happen, like getting a full roster of NHLers for the WC....
Getting a full roster of NHLers for the tournament shouldn't be an issue, USA Hockey just doesn't want that.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Young guys like Boeser, Tkachuk, Galchenyuk, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Larkin, Eichel, Keller, Saad, and Gaudreau have to answer the call if they are healthy. Maybe its okay to say no if they are free agents like Larkin, but otherwise no excuses. This could be a monster team once again, but reality has always been much different. Some Blackhawks youngster can bring Kane on his suitcase.

Galchenyuk-Eichel-Boeser
Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Gaudreau-Larkin-Tkachuk
Hinostroza-Keller-DeBrincat

Faulk, Skjei and Hanifin in defense would be nice. Goaltending is big questionmark. Darling, Lindgren, Condon and Howard. Gibson would be perfect but Dukcs probably can make playoffs.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I still think Boeser will be made available for this tournament. He was dealing w. A wrist injury before his back incident but 2 months is plenty of time for both injuries to heal i assume.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Montreal is shitty team so its hard for Charlie but i think he could be really good choice for WC. He has ability to make some crazy saves. Really like him and i think he could be future number one for some NHL team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There are 200+ Americans in the NHL though.
yep, we should be icing better teams period. more youth into the NHL means more kids willing to come to this. I am optimistic we can at least send a B team here for once this year looking at the younger players on teams not going to the playoffs

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jack Eichel back on the ice!!!!

So you are saying there is a chance??? lol!

Good to see him playing again, doubt he comes this year as he likely just wants to finish healthy, but if he wants to play more hockey come on down...

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Our AHL team won't make the playoffs. He should be there, Pionk has been very good.

Good to see him doing well. Earned a lot of hype a year ago.

I think these guys are available for sure if they are interested.

Nick Leddy
Jeff Petry
Alex Goligoski
Justin Faulk
Jaccob Slavin
Mike Reilly
Jordan Oesterle
Nick Jensen
Scott Mayfield
Connor Murphy
Neal Pionk
Danny DeKeyser
Tony DeAngelo
Matt Tennyson
Steven Kampfer

Because of their contract situation I think Hanifin, Skjei and van Riemsdyk are out for sure.

Noah Hanifin(RFA)
Brady Skjei(RFA)
Trevor van Riemsdyk(RFA)
Casey Nelson(RFA)
Rob O'Gara(RFA)
Matt Bartkowski(UFA)

And probably NCAA guys like Brickley, Schuldt, Wolanin and Borgen has a good opportunity aswell.

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Good to see him doing well. Earned a lot of hype a year ago.

I think these guys are available for sure if they are interested.

Nick Leddy
Jeff Petry
Alex Goligoski
Justin Faulk
Jaccob Slavin
Mike Reilly
Jordan Oesterle
Nick Jensen
Jake McCabe
Scott Mayfield
Connor Murphy
Neal Pionk
Danny DeKeyser
Tony DeAngelo
Matt Tennyson
Steven Kampfer

Because of their contract situation I think Hanifin, Skjei and van Riemsdyk are out for sure.

Noah Hanifin(RFA)
Brady Skjei(RFA)
Trevor van Riemsdyk(RFA)
Casey Nelson(RFA)
Rob O'Gara(RFA)
Matt Bartkowski(UFA)

And probably NCAA guys like Brickley, Schuldt, Wolanin and Borgen has a good opportunity aswell.
McCabe out for season after shoulder surgery

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Perfect. An idiot who inherited a Calder Cup-winning team and in just two years turned them into the league's doormat. If his track record holds up, the coach will be a raging alcoholic. I hope the shoulder he dislocated by patting himself on the back when the team that Chris MacFarland build won the title has healed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad