WC: USA Roster

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we have to see the roster before flipping out - but when players say they haven't been asked yet, that absolutely is ridiculous...and quality players like Bjugstad and Palmieri who BOTH would look awesome on this team.

If USA Hockey is starting to hold grudges on players who have declined, then I am fine with it- come out and state it and let everyone know why certain players weren't asked. But, that doesn't look like the case as how do you ask Trocheck knowing he has turned us down 3 years in a row prior??

I seriously pray Kaner isn't rethinking things, and that the team that is forming around him is better than we think right now. There are over 240 US players who stepped on NHL ice this year, come on we have to be able to put out a pretty decent team this year.

I am hoping for - Leddy, Slavin, Pionk, and Jones to be named...that's not asking for a ton!! and then hope we get 1 Boston dman named McAvoy...or Toronto dman Gardiner

McAvoy/Gardiner
Leddy
Jones
Murphy
Slavin
Pionk/Martinez
Butcher

EDIT- I think Alec Martinez was pretty much confirmed here as well, so he can easily slot in here over Pionk.

call it a day right there as a talented and mobile group. hardly pulling a ton of strings to get that group to come for the love of Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
after doing a bit of scrolling on other countries, many seem in the same boat as us...not naming teams yet, or getting plenty of declines. Only Canada looks to be "better" with what has been announced than what we have announced/reported...taking positives wherever I can find them!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd be fine with Kinkaid as the starter.
well we all better be!!! no choice it seems now..lol!

I will say this, Darling was great in Chicago he played his heart out here, if there is one guy I am hoping uses his tournament as a chance to turn things around, it is him. Last year we took 2 struggling goalies in Hell Boy and Howard, both worked hard and did what they needed to do to rebound after poor seasons...Darling and Kinkaid both could use this experience as a positive, and Kinkaid outplayed Schneider for most of the year, I know he can handle it and play for us, just wish the tweet we got about Quick came true for once!

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
giphy.gif

Underwhelming choice. Guess Quick didn't work out...

If Schneider and Quick wanted to go but USA Hockey didn't invite them are you guys/gals finally as angry at USA Hockey as I am?

It’s hard to get the full story on these things. But it would be utterly ridiculous

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
McAvoy is playing on one leg. No way he comes. I'm rooting hard for the Bs tonight but if the unthinkable happens and they lose, Grzelcyk or Krug would be excellent in a big ice tournament I'd rather see Gardiner and Matthews in red, white and blue though.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in players who say they weren't invited after a playoff series. They aren't contacted until after they are out. It's easier for a player to be a little disingenuous or vague than it is to admit they don't want to go.

This really isn't a USAH show this year. They have put it in hands of the NHL guys, Zito in particular.

Reactions: Jez

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Agreed. McAvoy is in the same situation as Werenski. No chance he comes (rightfully so). If the Bruins lose tonight I'd like to see Donato added to the roster.

If we already have Butcher (confirmed), Leddy and Martinez (rumoured) then I don't necessarily want Krug. Obviously it depends on the alternatives but some two-way D would be good.

On the Leafs side if Matthews is 100% then I think he will come. Gardiner would be great as well.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
On the Leafs side if Matthews is 100% then I think he will come. Gardiner would be great as well.

Matthews has had a lot of injury problems this season. Especially with his shoulder.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yeah I'd be surprised to see Matthews honestly. I can't tell if he's playing bad because he's hurt or just because he's going against Chara and Bergeron every shift, which is like not even fair. That said shoulder injuries tend to take a long time to heal.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Has Krug shown much interest in representing USA hockey? I'm pretty sure he's only played once. Then again he was undervalued as a youth player and the Bruins are usually pretty deep in the playoffs.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Has Krug shown much interest in representing USA hockey? I'm pretty sure he's only played once. Then again he was undervalued as a youth player and the Bruins are usually pretty deep in the playoffs.
Not sure. You are right about being undervalued, was an undrafted NCAA FA. He was very good in his one WC.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Yeah I'd be surprised to see Matthews honestly. I can't tell if he's playing bad because he's hurt or just because he's going against Chara and Bergeron every shift, which is like not even fair. That said shoulder injuries tend to take a long time to heal.

I honestly don't think he has played badly at all. He is shooting under 5% in the playoffs so that's a big part of the narrative I think. He had like 4 hits last game so I don't know if that's typical of a player with an injured shoulder.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I honestly don't think he has played badly at all. He is shooting under 5% in the playoffs so that's a big part of the narrative I think. He had like 4 hits last game so I don't know if that's typical of a player with an injured shoulder.

Badly by Auston Matthews standards I suppose.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA

His family commitments are happening when he would have been playing in the playoffs if Philly advanced but with the Worlds going on, there’s just no way he can play lol. Oh well. Not a shocking development that he doesn’t want to play

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
DeBrincat-Schamltz?-Kane
Gaudreau
-Larkin-Atkinson?
Kreider-Foligno?-Palmieri?
Greenway?-Gaudette?-Mittelstadt
White?

Martinez?-Jones?
Manson?-Murphy
Leddy?-Butcher
Wolanin?

Kinkaid
Darling
Lindgren

At some point it looked that this team will be brilliant but now we really need Jones and Martinez. Decent team but i expected more. I can't believe Keller declined when you look at this roster. Kane, Gaudreau, Larkin etc.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
DeBrincat-Schamltz?-Kane
Gaudreau
-Larkin-Atkinson?
Kreider-Foligno?-Palmieri?
Greenway?-Gaudette?-Mittelstadt
White?

Martinez?-Jones?
Manson?-Murphy
Leddy?-Butcher
Wolanin?

Kinkaid
Darling
Lindgren

At some point it looked that this team will be brilliant but now we really need Jones and Martinez. Decent team but i expected more. I can't believe Keller declined when you look at this roster. Kane, Gaudreau, Larkin etc.

Have we heard anything on Slavin / Pesce?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
His family commitments are happening when he would have been playing in the playoffs if Philly advanced but with the Worlds going on, there’s just no way he can play lol. Oh well. Not a shocking development that he doesn’t want to play

He doesn’t want to play. Oh well

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just throwing this out there - Eichel hasn't officialy declined. I only saw unlikely being reported PRIOR to Kane being named to the team....
“It’s a tough situation with the ankle and the long season. You have to be fully committed to going to a tournament like that because it’s so long. We’ll see,” Eichel said Monday.
For now, we’ll take that as a soft no.

Just going to say, if anything entices this guy to play, and the past few weeks his ankle has healed up more, it would be NHL local boy Kane...keep the faith boys, I think we see Eichel's name on this team when it gets released.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Seems like the entire Flyers team declined invitations from their countries. Not sure if that was a group thing or just a coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad