WC: USA Roster

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
A couple of things:
1. poop the Olympic team and the Olympics.

2. Given the American classical indifference to this tournament, only 2 returnees from last year's team (Eichel and Bjugstad) and that's even a stretch...but it's hard not to include Jack if available.

3. bolded names are players added after early playoff exits.

4. The Tkachuk brothers cause mayhem on and off the ice.

5. I'd like to include Phil the Thrill, but we all know he'd rather go fishing in Minnesota or eat hotdogs in Toronto, but a Pitt line of Sheary Guentzel and Kessel would be nice.

that's all I got.

Can I finally get my dream Canada v USA final GMG at the WHC please.

JVRA MATTHEWSB BOESER
M TKACHUKJ EICHELK OKPOSO
J GUENTZELV TROCHECKC SHEARY
J ABDELKADERN BJUGSTADR DZINGAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C MITTELSTADT B TKACHUK
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Z WEREINSKIS JONES
S GOSTISBEHEREE JOHNSON
K YANDELK SHATTENKIRK
C FOWLER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J GIBSON
B BISHOP
Some NCAA Dude
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sadly, american star players often decline to this tournament.

would love to see a really good usa team in this tournament...i am cherring for usa to get a gold medal..

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Sadly, american star players often decline to this tournament.

would love to see a really good usa team in this tournament...i am cherring for usa to get a gold medal..

Apreciate that but I have a feeling this will be an uuugly roster. Usually the biggest motivation for showing up to this tournament is to get on the radar for the Olympic team

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Apreciate that but I have a feeling this will be an uuugly roster. Usually the biggest motivation for showing up to this tournament is to get on the radar for the Olympic team

one of these years there's going to be a happy confluence of events whereby USAH gets more accepts than declines.

As for getting on the radar for the Olympic team, everybody believes that the NHL wants in China 2022...so, the Olympic cycle starts anew with this tournament... it behooves the 20-22 year olds to get themselves on the radar.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
one of these years there's going to be a happy confluence of events whereby USAH gets more accepts than declines.

As for getting on the radar for the Olympic team, everybody believes that the NHL wants in China 2022...so, the Olympic cycle starts anew with this tournament... it behooves the 20-22 year olds to get themselves on the radar.[/QUOTE]

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA

Couldn't agree more and I hope I'm wrong. But it's just gotten to be like pulling teeth every year to put a roster together for this, and I don't see it being any better this year, with 2022 so far away.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's hard to predict this until after the Olympics.

I'd have to any guys that stand out in the Olympics end up as a shoe-in for this unless they don't want to go.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
focus on the young players and hopefully get 1 or 2 vets that come. Eichel likely isn't going to come, he has played already a few times and last year was disappointing overall for a group that had some firepower (Lee, Nelson, Gaudreau)

Boeser seems like a lock to come -
Clayton Keller same
Christian Dvorak same
Christian Fischer ditto

hope we can get a Vincent Trocheck who is in serious consideration for team USA in 2022. Finally get Alex Galchenyuk come play since he has a contract now...

Bank on getting a a Mittlestadt or Bellows or Fox on this team as well... maybe more than 1...

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Trocheck, Lee, McCabe, Nelson, Larkin, Eichel, White, Vesey, Hayes and Wideman might go. DeKeyser, Okposo, Booth, Yandle, Howard, Ryan, Pacioretty, McDonagh and Shattenkirk probably will not go.

Reactions: Ori

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
time to give this a bump now that those Olympics are done. What do you say, Canada -USA final at the Worlds?

a few changes in the playoff standings and trade deadline over brings about an updated roster.

NJD, CBJ and Anaheim are the late additions.

J GAUDREAU

V TROCHECK

P KANE

B SAAD

J EICHEL

B BOESER

A LEE

N BJUGSTAD

K PALMIERI

R DZINGEL

N SCHMALTZ

A DEBRINCAT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M TKACHUK C MITTELSTADT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Z WEREINSKI

S JONES

W BUTCHER

J PETRY

N HANIFIN

J FAULK

J SLAVIN

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J GIBSON

J HOWARD

NCAA Dude
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Jez

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
You'll see a few NCAA guys like Gaudette, possibly Borgen or Brickley.

I think USA hockey had enough of Euro pro's ...... At least I HOPE they did

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
time to give this a bump now that those Olympics are done. What do you say, Canada -USA final at the Worlds?

a few changes in the playoff standings and trade deadline over brings about an updated roster.

NJD, CBJ and Anaheim are the late additions.

J GAUDREAUV TROCHECKP KANE
B SAADJ EICHELB BOESER
A LEEN BJUGSTADK PALMIERI
R DZINGELN SCHMALTZA DEBRINCAT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M TKACHUK C MITTELSTADT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Z WEREINSKIS JONES
W BUTCHERJ PETRY
N HANIFINJ FAULK
J SLAVIN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J GIBSON
J HOWARD
NCAA Dude
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's pretty close to what I had in mind but I think you need to take into consideration contract situations and injuries.

I'd be surprised to see Hanifin for example as he needs a new contract (Slavin and Pesce didn't go to the WC last year for example). I imagine that's why you don't have Larkin?

Gibson has been injured a lot this year so he might want to prepare for next season (Anaheim could surprise us in the playoffs anyway). Same goes for Eichel really – minus the playoffs part.

Boeser (like Keller) will have gone through his first NHL season and might need the rest. Christian Fischer could be a good replacement. If NJD is out early, I'd love to see Miles Wood on the big ice.

USAH seems to love using the WC as a way to give a boost to struggling players (Hellebuyck, Bjugstad, Larkin last year) so I think you are right, Saad is definitely going to get his invitation. They should invite Galchenyuk too.

Oh and Matthew Tkachuk as an extra?

You'll see a few NCAA guys like Gaudette, possibly Borgen or Brickley.

In regards to the NCAA players, Mittelstadt might sign with Buffalo and join Rochester for the AHL playoffs. Same thing for Gaudette and Utica. Donato will likely sign with Boston and Terry with Anaheim. I'd think Greenway/Kunin would be in consideration depending on where Iowa ends up. Maybe the likes of Marody, Laczynski and Stevens could be invited if they struggle to fill the roster.

Brady Tkachuk and Oliver Wahlstrom are draft eligible and it would be a great stage to showcase them.

Brickley and Schuldt on the back end will be college free agents and looking for a contract. I hope one of Adam Fox, Quinn Hughes or Andrew Peeke goes (Chad Krys...jk). And they owe it to Borgen to play him if he wants after he sat in the stands for the Olympics.

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Americans dont really care about IIHF Worlds.
I think in roster have include many players from SHL/NCAA and KHL + Granato will be coach.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I hope american nhl players care too
You'll get the young NHL players not in playoffs , some vets that haven't had the chance and 1 or 2 NCAA players.
UFA NCAA players and ant type of RFA / UFA pros 95% won't play.
It's a 3 week party for these guys in Netherlands

It will be interesting with the passing of JJ to see who is GM of this team. It will have an impact of which guys get picked and actually play

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA

As for getting on the radar for the Olympic team, everybody believes that the NHL wants in China 2022...so, the Olympic cycle starts anew with this tournament... it behooves the 20-22 year olds to get themselves on the radar.

Bettman has said he doesn't think the NHL will be at the Beijing games.https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...beijing-games-2018-winter-olympics/367908002/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad