Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It felt like the wheels were falling off that period with all the time on the PK, the lack of offensive zone pressure or shots, and the Czechs taking the lead. Our team looked like they were skating in mud, the effects of having played less than 24 hours before starting to show, especially as the Czechs don't lumber around the ice like the Slovaks.

Had the Czechs scored on that Arcobello penalty, it probably would have been over. Instead, O'Neill makes a great play on the PK with his speed to not only corral the loose puck, but break it out and find Slater streaking down the ice to tie it up. It wasn't just big because it evened the game, but it took back control of the game. We finished the period with the better of the play, and since we won't start the 3rd on the PK like we did the 2nd, we can hopefully start strong in the 3rd.

Let's go!

bottom line - we have to stay out of the box. we haven't been able to play our game really yet with all the penalties and time in our own zone.

this third period has to be so much better structure and discipline wise or we are toast.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Gonna basically need a lucky goal somewhere. This team just has so little skill. Donato basically the only finisher. Terry the set up guy. Other than that you can see why none of these guys are in the NHL

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
0-5 lol that shootout a microcausm of this USA team. On the bright side I don’t have to watch us get obliterated by the fake team again

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Two even teams. Hate to see it end that way for either squad, but alas.

Zapolski did his job and the shooters failed him. That may have been 5 of the worst shootout attempts I've seen in awhile. Two pedestrian shots, and 3 guys who were trying to make drastic cut back dekes in the crease.

USAH management left too much skill at home and it backfired.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two even teams. Hate to see it end that way for either squad, but alas.

Zapolski did his job and the shooters failed him. That may have been 5 of the worst shootout attempts I've seen in awhile. Two pedestrian shots, and 3 guys who were trying to make drastic cut back dekes in the crease.

USAH management left too much skill at home and it backfired.

Imagine that. USAH not taking enough skill... when have we heard that before.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Unsurprisingly, what they were missing the whole tournament (scoring talent), is what finished them off in the end. Can't be too angry with the performance. I think the team played about as well as they could, just wish they had brought a few more college kids. I think it's a good lesson for any future Olympics that the NHL doesn't play in.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
ahh I wasn't all too keen on sending the Pro's but I do not like losing this early, send on the NHL'ers in 2022 ;)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You can't have that many passengers offensively and continue to win tight games. It's asking too much. Eventually you'll need other players to step up, and when that time comes, you're better of relying on talented players that expect to score. That's one of the reasons Donato and Terry were successful here. It's not just their talent, but their confidence, and you didn't see that in many other forwards. Would you rather have Adam Gaudette with the puck on his stick when you need a goal or Mark Arcobello?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
You can't have that many passengers offensively and continue to win tight games. It's asking too much. Eventually you'll need other players to step up, and when that time comes, you're better of relying on talented players that expect to score. That's one of the reasons Donato and Terry were successful here. It's not just their talent, but their confidence, and you didn't see that in many other forwards. Would you rather have Adam Gaudette with the puck on his stick when you need a goal or Mark Arcobello?

I mean didn't Arcobello just lead the Swiss league in points? He's not very good but I would have picked him. I guess Mccarthy is supposed to be a good penalty killer? Jim Slater. Okay whatever maybe they are useful pieces. Now Bobby Butler, Broc Little, Garrett Roe?? Did those guys kill a penalty or do ANYTHING? I think they had two goals. That said I don't think they were even the worst line.

Pretty sure that the Bourque, Gionta, Greenway line had 3 points. TOTAL. And two of those were Bourque assists on the powerplay. I mean HOLY *********** that line had one even strength goal and no assists in five games.

IF you take out all goals that involve Donato and Terry, the US scores 3 goals in 5 games...... WOW

Meanwhile Dan Sexton is 7th in the KHL in scoring.

I mean I'm not even going to get into Gaudette and the NCAA guys but how do guys who are scoring MORE than guys in in the same league than guys that got picked??? O'Neill has 28 points in 42 KHL games this year. Stoa has 29. Sexton has 46. Did he say no????

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Every time they showed Granato on screen he always looked clueless and rarely was he saying anything to the guys on the bench. It seemed like he was in over his head. Hopefully they find a better coaching staff for the next Olympic games.

The PP was atrocious and always seemed rushed last night. The only real threat the whole tournament was Donato's spin move from the goal line. If they were going to try and feed Wiz/Bourque/Sanguinetti from the point or the circle they needed to get more traffic in front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->