USA producing some real nice talent for the future now

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
some super forwards to watch for in the USA who are 2006 ranked I would say are:

People can talk all they want, I am just posting this so people know who to watch when they go to a game.

1. Carter Camper, very young but dominates every level he has played at. He is currently playing honey baked AAA hockey as a 15 year old and is their leading scorer with 20 points in 16 games. IMO the best offensive player the USA will produce in awhile.

2. Phil Kessel, a late 87 born player who is playing with the USNTDP 17 team, he is their leading scorer with 11 GP he has 10 goals and 4 assists. This guy is going to be a great one.

3. Jack Coombs, another super forward who last year got 131 points in 62 games. He is playing for the honey baked 88 team right now and is suppose to be a real sniper in the making.

4. Peter Mueller, Suppose to be better than Camper, he is playing USNTDP as a 88 born player which is pretty amazing as it self.

5. Kyle Okposo, playhing for Shattuck this year Okposo is considered one of the best power forwards in the USA right now. He and Jonathan Toews are the ones taking over for the departer of Crosby.

6. Ben Smith, a great power forward who is playing with the Boston Junior Bruins. He is another great offensive player with grit.

7. Jeremy Stocker, playing junior A in Ontario for Syracuse, stocker is considered a super offensive player with great overal talent.

8. Jason Reese, picked in the first round of the WHL draft, he had the offensive talent to give Toews a run for his money at first, but teams never knew if he was comming up or not.

9. Luke Popko, a smaller player who gets overlooked a bit he has imense offensive talent and dominates scorers where ever he plays.

10. Chris Atkinson, always a top scorer for no matter where ever he plays, could rise up these charts pretty fast. His offensive talents are among the best in the US.

11. Garrette Roe, plays for Shattuck U16 team with North American phenome Angelo Esposito from quebec. Roe is a great playmaker with a nose for the net, he is among the best in the country.

12. Mike Hull, Bretts son is following in the familey lines as being a great player. Hull looks to make the tradition stay alive of having a superstar Hull in the pros at some point.

For guys that I never listed teams for, I don't know where they are this year. Thing is people can take this post for what they want to. Thought I would just post this so people know who to watch in the USA if they go to a game.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
oh yeah some websites to follow these guys are:

Carter Camper:
http://www.honeybakedhockey.com

Mueller, and Kessel
http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/ntdp/under_17/final_0102_ntd/

Okposo (Jonathan Toews plays on this team as well)
http://www.s-sm.org/Athletics/Team.aspx?TeamId=18

Roe (Phenome Esposito plays on this team as well he is almost a Crosby of Quebec)
http://www.s-sm.org/Athletics/Team.aspx?TeamId=17

Stocker:
http://www.ohahockey.org/jra/stats/syracuse.htm

Smith:
http://www.bostonjuniorbruins.com/mid_statistics.htm

Mr. Relaxation

I like this Jason Reese kid. He is a Vancouver Giant property here in Vancouver. He is from Oregon state but is playing midgets or whatever they call his level, here in Vancouver and is actually rooming with current Giant rookie - Gilbert Brule.

Reese can only play a total of 5 games this year with the Giants. It's a rule applied to all CHL draftees. We won't see him playing full time until next season.

Anyhow, an update on Reese, he had a pretty bad injury to his shoulder recently, I think some kind of seperation, and is out for awhile.

Apparently Reese plays with a lot of grit, the Giants staff seem really high on him, actually, they say him and Brule play a similar game. Reese and Brule are going to be the leaders of this team for the next few years and hopefully the two of them will help bring us a Memorial Cup.

Now, if we could somehow convince Daniel Bertram and Shaun Vey to join the Giants next season, there will be no stopping of the Giants.

I get the feeling that Bertram is gonna go the College route, too bad for the Giants.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
moosefan said:
some super forwards to watch for in the USA who are 2006 ranked I would say are:

People can talk all they want, I am just posting this so people know who to watch when they go to a game.

1. Carter Camper, very young but dominates every level he has played at. He is currently playing honey baked AAA hockey as a 15 year old and is their leading scorer with 20 points in 16 games. IMO the best offensive player the USA will produce in awhile.

2. Phil Kessel, a late 87 born player who is playing with the USNTDP 17 team, he is their leading scorer with 11 GP he has 10 goals and 4 assists. This guy is going to be a great one.

3. Jack Coombs, another super forward who last year got 131 points in 62 games. He is playing for the honey baked 88 team right now and is suppose to be a real sniper in the making.

4. Peter Mueller, Suppose to be better than Camper, he is playing USNTDP as a 88 born player which is pretty amazing as it self.

5. Kyle Okposo, playhing for Shattuck this year Okposo is considered one of the best power forwards in the USA right now. He and Jonathan Toews are the ones taking over for the departer of Crosby.

6. Ben Smith, a great power forward who is playing with the Boston Junior Bruins. He is another great offensive player with grit.

7. Jeremy Stocker, playing junior A in Ontario for Syracuse, stocker is considered a super offensive player with great overal talent.

8. Jason Reese, picked in the first round of the WHL draft, he had the offensive talent to give Toews a run for his money at first, but teams never knew if he was comming up or not.

9. Luke Popko, a smaller player who gets overlooked a bit he has imense offensive talent and dominates scorers where ever he plays.

10. Chris Atkinson, always a top scorer for no matter where ever he plays, could rise up these charts pretty fast. His offensive talents are among the best in the US.

11. Garrette Roe, plays for Shattuck U16 team with North American phenome Angelo Esposito from quebec. Roe is a great playmaker with a nose for the net, he is among the best in the country.

12. Mike Hull, Bretts son is following in the familey lines as being a great player. Hull looks to make the tradition stay alive of having a superstar Hull in the pros at some point.

For guys that I never listed teams for, I don't know where they are this year. Thing is people can take this post for what they want to. Thought I would just post this so people know who to watch in the USA if they go to a game.

From what I was told by a couple of OHL scouts who attended the Select-15 festival, Boom-Boom Geoffrion's grandson could very well be the best NHL prospect of all these 1988 USA kids.

shazata69

Some more names....

Ray Macias D/RW
Nathan Grochmal
Moises Guttierez

these guys have been phenomenal for the Blazers this year,

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Mobey said:
What about Jack Skille? Are you not as high on him?

Skille is an '87 and moosefan only listed '88s (with the exception of Kessel who's a late '87)

There are a couple of other good '88 born kids that haven't been mentioned here including Chad Morin who is the first underage defensemen the USNTDP has ever taken in.

The thing about all of these kids is that they are so young that it's impossible to tell how thier skills will develop over the next few years. It's nice to see so many players with potential though.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Juan said:
From what I was told by a couple of OHL scouts who attended the Select-15 festival, Boom-Boom Geoffrion's grandson could very well be the best NHL prospect of all these 1988 USA kids.

I was in contact last year with Geoffrions Culver acadamy team, since I did an article on him, he was used as a d-man for their team and I only listed forwards.

If I was listing d-men from the USA I would have listed:

Ben Strait (was suppose to be with Boston Junior Bruins but I don't know where he went)
Blake Geoffrion
Chad Morin, USNTDP 17
Steve Spade (late 87) Barrie, OHL
Ryan Turek (late 87)Honey Baked AAA
Mark Mitera (late 87) USNTDP 17
Joey Ryan (Late 87) Quebec, QMJHL
Joe Palmer

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mobey said:
Moosefan, what's your take on Bobby Ryan?

Well Ryan is one of the better player from the USA for 87 born players. He is ranked for the 2005 NHL draft. Really I have never seen him play, a friend of mine has seen him a few times and said he is a real electric player, great hands that are very soft and creative, goes to the net, has a knack for scoring goals and is able to playmake and pass as well, his skating is his biggest down fall. I see Ryan going in the top 15 players in the 2005 NHL draft if everything is true about him. I have yet to see him play and am really looking for a chance to see him possibly this Christmas since I am going to the U-17s in Newfoundland. Maybe then I can give a better thought on Bobby Ryan

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So, for 2006, of course there is Crosby who is on a level by himself, but where would you predict Camper and Kessel going? Thanks for the info.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mobey said:
So, for 2006, of course there is Crosby who is on a level by himself, but where would you predict Camper and Kessel going? Thanks for the info.

Crosby is for 2005 not 2006. I would say so far if Camper keeps progressing like he is and keeps dominating, he has a good chance at going top 5, and the same would go for Kessel for the 2006 draft.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Moosefan, which of these top American players are considering the Canadian juniors? Aren't some of them already drafted, I think Kessel is by the OHL? Thanks again, you're very knowledgable.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
moosefan said:
I was in contact last year with Geoffrions Culver acadamy team, since I did an article on him, he was used as a d-man for their team and I only listed forwards.

If I was listing d-men from the USA I would have listed:

Ben Strait (was suppose to be with Boston Junior Bruins but I don't know where he went)
Blake Geoffrion
Chad Morin, USNTDP 17
Steve Spade (late 87) Barrie, OHL
Ryan Turek (late 87)Honey Baked AAA
Mark Mitera (late 87) USNTDP 17
Joey Ryan (Late 87) Quebec, QMJHL
Joe Palmer

Geoffrion played a couple of games as a d-man last season as an injury fill-in, otherwise he played the whole season at forward. I am told that he played at the Festival just as a forward.

And Palmer is a goalie.

In my opinion, Camper is pound-for-pound the most skilled and smartest 88 forward in the U.S., including Mueller. However, the key is "pound-for-pound", as he is currently 5'9" and may not get much bigger, judging by the size of his parents.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Juan said:
Geoffrion played a couple of games as a d-man last season as an injury fill-in, otherwise he played the whole season at forward. I am told that he played at the Festival just as a forward.

And Palmer is a goalie.

In my opinion, Camper is pound-for-pound the most skilled and smartest 88 forward in the U.S., including Mueller. However, the key is "pound-for-pound", as he is currently 5'9" and may not get much bigger, judging by the size of his parents.

All I know is CUlver said he was one of their main d-men last year. I put Palmer there by accident...opps

moosefan said:

Stocker came up here to Mississauga for a College/CHL showcase at the Erin Mills Twin Arenas. I was talking to three scouts who are with the Kitchener Rangers and they said that no one really stood out that much. I mentioned Jeremy Stocker, as I had met his father earlier that day (who runs the facilities for the Syracuse Crunch), and the scouts simply repeated that no one had been all that impressive.
Take that as you will (maybe they want to keep him a secret, but I highly doubt that), and I know that one bad tourney doesn't wreck you, but if he can't show up when he needs to, that's a bad pattern to set I would believe.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
moosefan said:
All I know is CUlver said he was one of their main d-men last year. I put Palmer there by accident...opps

Are you sure it was Culver you were talking to? Because Geoffrion played on the second team, not the first team (except for a couple of games), so I don't know how they would call him one of their "main" d-men.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Juan said:
Are you sure it was Culver you were talking to? Because Geoffrion played on the second team, not the first team (except for a couple of games), so I don't know how they would call him one of their "main" d-men.

Yeah it was Culver, I just looked back at my notes and it was Culver.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I finally got to see Bobby Ryan against London, and while his skating certainly needs work, he has some magic hands and a scoring and playmaking touch that you can't teach.
For a 16 year old, they had him listed in the guide at 6"1, and 220bls...could be that once he tones up or sheds some weight that his skating could improve big time. He could get faster, but on the other hand, Robitaille and Andreychuk had fine careers with poor skating...and he's not afraid to mix it up physically.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
That is Brian Strait and he is playing for Northfield Mt Hermon Prep School. He is a highly sought after D1 recruit. The 6'1", 180lbs, left shot defenseman should be one of the first New England players to commit to a College. I would be very supprised if he was not asked to join the NTDP!

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The Kitchener Rangers have a couple of very good US rookies on the team this year:

Matt Lashoff - D - Sept 29/86 - 6'2", 193 lbs from Albany, NY - has worked his way up quickly to be with the top defensive pairing (with Benoit)

Patrick Davis - F - Dec/86 - 6'2", 191 lbs from Detroit - earned his way onto the top line for the past two weeks - used on PP, PK - will probably play with Mike Richards (Flyers pick) and Petr Kanko (Kings pick) for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad