USA or Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Who has the better team out of these two?

I think they are virtually even, with Russia having the offensive advantage and USA having the defensive advantage. Who do you think will win the first encounter between these two teams on Christmas Day? I think this game will set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Andrew_11 said:
Who has the better team out of these two?

I think they are virtually even, with Russia having the offensive advantage and USA having the defensive advantage. Who do you think will win the first encounter between these two teams on Christmas Day? I think this game will set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

I don't know much about the Russian team (aside from Ovechkin, Malkin, and Radulov) but I can tell you that the strength of the U.S. team is it's offense and the goaltending of Al Montoya. I'm not convinced, however that the smaller, finesse oriented defense is going to be able to get it done. I can see the U.S. squad mirroring the performance of the team from a couple of years ago. That team lost big to Russia early on in the tourney, regained it's composure to make it to the semis, only to lose a close (score-wise) game to Canada. The U.S. is going to have to have the following to go far IMO

1) Get great goaltending from Montoya.

2) Stay disciplined.

3) Not get bogged down in the defensive zone.

4) Get great special teams play.

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I think that the US will be a bust, as usual (except last season, of course)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wilka91 said:
I think that the US will be a bust, as usual (except last season, of course)

You're entitled to that opinion, but the U.S. has actually gotten progressively better in international tournaments over the past several years. I'm not convinced the U.S. will win gold, but I think there's a good chance we will medal.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Yep, bronze medal in my opinion. When I said "bust" I meant that the US was not going to win.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
jcpenny said:
Russia always has a great team every year but it always comes down to how are they gonna play as a team or individuals.

I think it's something we can say about any team out there ... but Canada always has an edge, they never play crap.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
I think US will win.. They will be playing on the familiar North American rinks, and the crowd will be behind them too..

O man :shakehead belive in our team ! Its not about the us crowd .....its about how Ovechkin, Malkin will play ! :teach:

I go with 4:2 for Russia ! Watch out for Radulov !

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
CSKA said:
O man :shakehead belive in our team ! Its not about the us crowd .....its about how Ovechkin, Malkin will play ! :teach:

I go with 4:2 for Russia ! Watch out for Radulov !

I was just trying not to sound like a homer.. fine I'll show my true colours, 2:0 Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->