Speculation: USA Olympic Hockey Team Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So the Olympics are only a couple months away. Yes, I'm still stoked to watch Olympic hockey even though the NHL chose to be whiney bitches. Anyway, what are your thoughts on who might represent our country on the ice? Do you see it being predominantly European league USA guys or do you think we'll see a large chunk of college guys (Greenway, Terry, Mittelstadt, Brickley, Bellows, etc.)?

I personally think we're going to see a large amount of college guys added to the squad. I really think the influx of young guys like those mentioned above and others potentially could lead this team to doing something amazing.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd say Trent Frederic has a pretty good shot of making the team. I fully expect the majority of the roster to be college players.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
USA hockey said they won't take guys for both the World Juniors and the Olympics, right? Mittelstadt and Lindgren are on the World Junior preliminary roster.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Anybody know the logic behind this?

I would guess it has to do with the notion that these guys are (college) students. That usually means attending class, writing papers and so on. It's a lot of time to miss and still maintain academic eligibility.

Thus we're likely to see Ryan Lasch, Keith Aucoin and Jon Blum instead of younger guys.

Reactions: 2Pair

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I would guess it has to do with the notion that these guys are (college) students. That usually means attending class, writing papers and so on. It's a lot of time to miss and still maintain academic eligibility.

Thus we're likely to see Ryan Lasch, Keith Aucoin and Jon Blum instead of younger guys.

Thanks Peter, insightful as always!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Mittlestadt would have been great to see.

It doesn't matter if it's pros/NHLers or not, to me the Olympic hockey has always been the most exciting games. 2002 Preliminary Slovakia-Latvia game is still the greatest hockey game I have ever seen and there were few NHLers on both sides of that game. 6-6 tie. Just the best hockey I have ever seen.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hoping to see a nice mix of good European pros and NHL prospects from Team USA. I mean guys like Steve Moses (was incredible in the KHL) and Ryan Lasch (great in Liiga) are fun to watch, even if they aren't NHL material.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Here's the list:

U.S. Olympic Men’s Hockey Roster
Goalies

Ryan Zapolski (KHL) — NHL Games: 0
TBA
TBA
Defensemen
Chad Billins (Swedish League) — NHL Games: 10
Jonathon Blum (KHL) — NHL Games: 110
Will Borgen (NCAA) — NHL Games: 0
Matt Gilroy (KHL) — NHL Games: 225
Ryan Gunderson (Swedish League) — NHL Games: 0
Bobby Sanguinetti (Swiss League) — NHL Games: 45
Noah Welch (Swedish League) — NHL Games: 75
James Wisniewski (German 2nd League) — NHL Games: 552
Forwards
Mark Arcobello (Swiss League) — NHL Games: 139
Chris Bourque (AHL) — NHL Games: 51
Bobby Butler (AHL) — NHL Games: 130
Ryan Donato (NCAA) — NHL Games: 0
Brian Gionta (unsigned) — NHL Games: 1,006
Jordan Greenway (NCAA) — NHL Games: 0
Chad Kolarik (German League) — NHL Games: 6
Broc Little (Swiss League) — NHL Games: 0
John McCarthy (AHL) — NHL Games: 88
Brian O’Neill (KHL) — NHL Games: 22
Garrett Roe (Swiss League) — NHL Games: 0
Jim Slater (Swiss League) — NHL Games: 584
Ryan Stoa (KHL) — NHL Games: 40
Troy Terry (NCAA) — NHL Games: 0

Reactions: BagHead

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Like seeing Greenway's name on that list. Rare opportunity for prospects these last years.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I thought it was a weird roster, too. There are lots of small, skilled guys on it that just couldn't quite make the NHL cut, mixed with older players who are done in the NHL, and younger players who just aren't in the NHL yet. Our goalie, Zapolski, is someone I have never heard of until now, but looking at his stats in the NCAA, ECHL, Liiga and KHL, I have no idea how. I can't believe he didn't get more of a look from Pittsburgh while he was in their system, but then again, they had a pretty deep set of goalies behind Fleury.

After looking up every player on the roster that I didn't already know, I think they'll be a fun team to watch. A lot of the players are guys that light up places like the KHL, which is what the Russians (Team Neutral) will be bringing to the Olympics, anyway, as expected favorites. Russia should still be favorites as they've got a few players like Kovalchuk and Datsyuk - who were NHL elites and still have some of that juice left - but a lot of these undersized USA guys should be able to compete just fine offensively (I can't tell how well they play overall by stat watching, of course). Can't wait to see how it shakes out!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Russian team will be interesting, and probably be the favorites for Gold.

The US roster is the opposite of the grinder roster they sent last Olympics. The bigger ice favors the smaller skilled guys more than NA ice.

I'd guess that Woll/Oettinger (U20 team) are in the mix for the goalie spots.

Greenway is easily the biggest player on the US team.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
The "TBA" for goalie intrigues me. I'm wondering if Johannson is pursing someone really good. A hot goalie can make up for a fair share of roster shortcomings in a tournament like this. (e.g. Ray LeBlanc 1992-Albertville)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Russian team will be interesting, and probably be the favorites for Gold.

The US roster is the opposite of the grinder roster they sent last Olympics. The bigger ice favors the smaller skilled guys more than NA ice.

I'd guess that Woll/Oettinger (U20 team) are in the mix for the goalie spots.

Greenway is easily the biggest player on the US team.

Didn't they say that they weren't going to take any of the U20 players?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
With B.U. having a dumpster fire of a season and unlikely to make the NCAA tourney field, I wonder if there is any chance Greenway will turn pro directly after the Olympics. Wild would have to ditch a contract, but that could certainly be done relatively easily.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I've hardly heard of any of the guys on the roster. I'll probably tune in for some of it, but it's hard for me to get excited when I recognize about five of the names.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
With B.U. having a dumpster fire of a season and unlikely to make the NCAA tourney field, I wonder if there is any chance Greenway will turn pro directly after the Olympics. Wild would have to ditch a contract, but that could certainly be done relatively easily.

I think it's very possible.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The "TBA" for goalie intrigues me. I'm wondering if Johannson is pursing someone really good. A hot goalie can make up for a fair share of roster shortcomings in a tournament like this. (e.g. Ray LeBlanc 1992-Albertville)

I don't know what's out there for goalies. Anyone with a NHL contract is out.

NCAA teams might not want to give up their starting goalie for a few weeks. Losing a FWD or D-man is easier to make work. It works for goalies in the WJC because of the break in college play over winter break.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would hope that Fletcher would advise him against doing that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I dunno, they aren't good, but they still have the conference tourney (with an auto bid to NCAA tourney) in March. BU is tied for 3rd (but more games played), and 2p ahead of 6th with a game in hand. It's hard to bail on your teammates during the season in any sport.

It would be kind of cool for Greenway to win Gold in S. Korea, and then win a NCAA championship in the same season. A NCAA championship in the arena of the team that drafted you none the less. Announce you're going pro, and suit up for the next Wild home game. It's a dream scenario for any athlete. I think he'll at least attempt to make it happen and finish out the college year.

Didn't they say that they weren't going to take any of the U20 players?

I don't know. I haven't read anything, but haven't been looking either. :dunno:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I've hardly heard of any of the guys on the roster. I'll probably tune in for some of it, but it's hard for me to get excited when I recognize about five of the names.

This is the best hockey to watch. Maybe it's a generational thing (I'm 37 years old); maybe it's a hockey fan thing.

The best game of hockey I have ever seen - most exciting, I would say hands down - was a 2002 Olympic preliminary game between Latvia and Slovakia - a 6-6 tie.

Very few NHLers were on either of those teams but that game was and still is the funnest game I've ever seen in my life.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would hope fletcher wouldn't actively recruit him to leave, but if Greenway wants to go pro who's he to stop him.
He's the GM. Greenway had his chance to sign this summer and instead manipulated his situation to get an Olympic spot out of it. Good for him if that's what he wanted, but bailing on BU after the Olympics would show poor character, and I would hope that Fletcher would want nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad