USA looks like Gold for prospects for 2006 and 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
All these players have the chance to be drafted and actually possibly make it with some of the 1st few listed having the chance to be stars to super stars in the NHL

2006:

Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Erik Johnson
Joseph Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Tyson Dowzak
Joey Ryan
Chad Morin
Blake Geoffrion
Ben Strait
Chris Atkinson
Rhett Rakhshani
Kevin Montgomery
Jack Combs
Mike Ratchuk
Jason Reese
Luke Popko
Steve Spade
James Pouliot
Brett Bennett

2007:
Jimmy O'Brien
Nick Petrecki
Tristin Llewellyn
Nick Jascowiak
Matt Rust
Matt Thurber
Drayson Bowman
Matt Smyth
Pat Kane
Ryan Hayes
Josh Franklin
Joe Lavin
Jarrett Toll
Ryan Schnell
Brad Phillips
Colby Cohen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
A good number of the players you've listed were big time at one point but have really fallen off. You've also left off plenty of guys who have become stronger prospects over time.

I've added my comments below in bold...

scoutman1 said:
All these players have the chance to be drafted and actually possibly make it with some of the 1st few listed having the chance to be stars to super stars in the NHL

2006:

Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Erik Johnson
Joseph Palmer Was a big time player when he was younger but, while he's still got good tools, he hasn't been spectacular the past two seasons
Kyle Okposo
Tyson Dowzak
Joey Ryan Was so highly thought of when younger that there was talk of him being invited to the NTDP as an underager. Not nearly as spectacular now though still a good NHL prospect.
Chad Morin Was invited to NTDP as an underager after playing a year of junior A as a 14 year old double underager. He didn't meet expectations there and now I'm not sure he'll even get drafted.
Blake Geoffrion Was hyped big time as a 14 year old but is not too spectacular, though still good enough for draft attention
Ben Strait You mean Brian
Chris Atkinson Good player but doesn't seem like an NHL prospect
Rhett Rakhshani Ditto
Kevin Montgomery
Jack Combs Has always been overhyped and I figured his 1 goal in 62 games last year would have ended that. I guess not.
Mike Ratchuk He's a great athlete but I don't know if that is enough to get him drafted considering his small strature and the questions about his hockey sense
Jason Reese Hyped young and hasn't met expectations at all so far
Luke Popko Totally out of his league on this list
Steve Spade Was actually more highly regarded than Jack Johnson at one point but has totally failed to meet expectations
James Pouliot He's been a fringe player in his two years with Halifax so I don't see how he belongs here
Brett Bennett

2007:
Jimmy O'Brien
Nick Petrecki
Tristin Llewellyn
Nick Jascowiak Overhyped
Matt Rust He's small and not spectacular. He dominated at a younger age but he's just not looking like he'll be that much of an NHL prospect. His progression so far reminds me of '87 born Jimmy Fraser (who also played with Honeybaked before joining the NTDP) and I think he'll be a similar player two years from now
Matt Thurber Overhyped but still pretty good
Drayson Bowman I'm skeptical
Matt Smyth Ditto
Pat Kane He's really small and plays like it. He sure can put up points though. He should be a major scoring threat for US junior teams the next few years. It will be interesting to see what happens with him as far as the NHl draft is concerned.
Ryan Hayes He's my bet to lead the NTDP's U17 team in scoring but he'll have to grow some and become more consistant to get NHL draft attention
Josh Franklin Plenty of players have caught up/surpassed him
Joe Lavin
Jarrett Toll Don't know him. Is he a dual-citizen?
Ryan Schnell Seems like a player who dominated at younger ages because he was bigger and stronger. He seems like a player who won't be as good as people once thought he would be.
Brad Phillips
Colby Cohen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole

expensivedirt

Apr 28, 2004
Vancouver
*Applaudes Cagney's incredibly in depth comments*

If it was me, the list of comments would comprise of "meh" , "hyped" and "lollipop".

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
cagney said:
A good number of the players you've listed were big time at one point but have really fallen off. You've also left off plenty of guys who have become stronger prospects over time.

James Pouliot has been not given a fair chance in Halifax and should this year...very slick puck handler with good vision and passing, fights and plays rough. Has the ability to do exciting plays as well.

Joey Ryan...might not have the offensive package once thought he now is super tough a fighter, hits, plays well positioned defensem, very sound, aggressive and intimidating on the ice.

but this list is to point out the potential draft players some might even go 7th round or 9th round if they go back to the old format for next year. Some might not get drafted but they still deserve to be on the list.

Toll is going to play for Tri-City next year of the WHL he is one of the better d-men for his age in the USA.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:

If the Preds let Nashville native Blake Geoffrion go by on day one, I will throw out my framed picture of Blake's great-grandfather lying in state at center ice in the Montreal Forum.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Juan said:
If the Preds let Nashville native Blake Geoffrion go by on day one, I will throw out my framed picture of Blake's great-grandfather lying in state at center ice in the Montreal Forum.

I remember you posting many positive reports on him around this time last year. Do you not feel his season was a bit dissapointing? I agree that he still seems like a possible day one prospect but in the past he was hyped as a potential first rounder.

While I have your attention, what's your take on Matt Smyth's plummet in the latter half of the past season. I remember you were very high on him earlier this year. I've also read that there isn't much to his game beyond speed. What would you say to that?

Last edited:

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Bowman, from what hes shown in training camp and the exhibition games hes played so far in Spokane, hes showing he can end up being a mid to late 2nd round pick in his draft year.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:
I remember you posting many positive reports on him around this time last year. Do you not feel his season was a bit dissapointing? I agree that he still seems like a possible day one prospect but in the past he was hyped as a potential first rounder.

While I have your attention, what's your take on Matt Smyth's plummet in the latter half of the past season. I remember you were very high on him earlier this year. I've also read that there isn't much to his game beyond speed. What would you say to that?

I think the first half of last season was disappointing for Geoffrion in terms of his numbers compared to the expectations coming in. I think he turned it around at the U-17, where he had more points than Okposo, whom everyone seems to love. I believe he was the team's second leading scorer for the rest of the season after the U-17.

Remember, this is a kid who grew up playing and learning hockey in Nashville, Tennessee, where the top level of hockey would be equivalent to A or maybe AA in a place like Toronto or Detroit. So in that context, it's amazing that he has reached the level that he has. Having said that, when all is said and done, I predict that Blake will be drafted between picks 20-50. The size, skating, tools, toughness and bloodlines are just too impressive to let him get past the second round.

It's kind of the same story with Smyth. He came into the GTHL and tore it up right away, so people were saying he was a top 5 pick. Everyone suddenly forgot that this was a kid who the previous year was playing 30 games of midget A hockey in Orlando, Florida. He struggled at the end of the 70+ game season because he was clearly tired, and people like you began using words like "plummet". He plummetted all the way to pick #14. I trust that Stan Butler knows what he's doing in evaluating talent.

As far as there being not much to his game beyond speed, the ISS OHL draft preview I have here in front of me (for whatever it's worth) has Smyth ranked as both the best skater and the best pure goal scorer in the draft. He is the only player ranked first in 2 categories.

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:

I think Luke Popco will have a great year this year. He is a very underared player. He is strong as a horse and still has room to grow. Also I think Joe Palmer is still one of the top rated goalies. With Bennet hurt (shoulder) Palmer with get plenty of work this season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
scoutman1 said:

2006:

Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Erik Johnson
Joseph Palmer
Kyle Okposo
Tyson Dowzak
Joey Ryan
Chad Morin
Blake Geoffrion
Ben Strait
Chris Atkinson
Rhett Rakhshani
Kevin Montgomery
Jack Combs
Mike Ratchuk
Jason Reese
Luke Popko
Steve Spade
James Pouliot
Brett Bennett

2007:
Jimmy O'Brien
Nick Petrecki
Tristin Llewellyn
Nick Jascowiak
Matt Rust
Matt Thurber
Drayson Bowman
Matt Smyth
Pat Kane
Ryan Hayes
Josh Franklin
Joe Lavin
Jarrett Toll
Ryan Schnell
Brad Phillips
Colby Cohen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole

Cagney is right, alot of those kids for the 06 draft peaked young, and have been replaced by better players. Scoutman here are some US 06 eligible players to watch for, you missed quite a few. some are very obvious.

Joe Palmer G - 88 - ntdp
Brett Bennett G - 88 - ntdp
Neil Conway G - 88- Owen Sound
Billy Sauer G - 88 - U of Michigan
Erik Johnson D - 88 - ntdp
Brian Strait D - 88- ntdp
Nigel Williams D - 88 - ntdp
Chris Summers D - 88 - ntdp
Bobby Sanguinetti D - 88 - Owen Sound
Tysen Dowzak D - 88 - Kelowna
Mark Mitera D - 87 - U of Michigan
Joey Ryan D - 87 - Quebec
Phil Kessel F - 87 - U of Minnesota
Nick Foligno F - 87 - Sudbury
Vlad Nikiforov F - 87 - Barrie (sleeper)
Peter Mueller F - 88 - Everett
Kyle Okposo F - 88 - Des Moines
Mike Forney F - 88 - ushl
Blake Geoffrion F - 88 - ntdp
Jason Reese F 88 - Vancouver
Ben Smith F - 88 - Westminster

For the 07s some forwards to check out are mike hoeffel, jimmy hayes, nico sacchetti, and brett bruneteau

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Bobby is way better

orangeandblack said:
Cagney is right, alot of those kids for the 06 draft peaked young, and have been replaced by better players. Scoutman here are some US 06 eligible players to watch for, you missed quite a few. some are very obvious.

Joe Palmer G - 88 - ntdp
Brett Bennett G - 88 - ntdp
Neil Conway G - 88- Owen Sound
Billy Sauer G - 88 - U of Michigan
Erik Johnson D - 88 - ntdp
Brian Strait D - 88- ntdp
Nigel Williams D - 88 - ntdp
Chris Summers D - 88 - ntdp
Bobby Sanguinetti D - 88 - Owen Sound
Tysen Dowzak D - 88 - Kelowna
Mark Mitera D - 87 - U of Michigan
Joey Ryan D - 87 - Quebec
Phil Kessel F - 87 - U of Minnesota
Nick Foligno F - 87 - Sudbury
Vlad Nikiforov F - 87 - Barrie (sleeper)
Peter Mueller F - 88 - Everett
Kyle Okposo F - 88 - Des Moines
Mike Forney F - 88 - ushl
Blake Geoffrion F - 88 - ntdp
Jason Reese F 88 - Vancouver
Ben Smith F - 88 - Westminster

For the 07s some forwards to check out are mike hoeffel, jimmy hayes, nico sacchetti, and brett bruneteau

I've seen many if not most of these guys in spring/summer AAA hockey over the past four years. Bobby Sanguinetti is the one who stands out above the rest.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
alot of those players you have for the 07 yeah are way too young... maybe one or two of the 89s will make it. Just my opinion but I think many would have to agree with me.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Juan said:
It's kind of the same story with Smyth. He came into the GTHL and tore it up right away, so people were saying he was a top 5 pick. Everyone suddenly forgot that this was a kid who the previous year was playing 30 games of midget A hockey in Orlando, Florida. He struggled at the end of the 70+ game season because he was clearly tired, and people like you began using words like "plummet". He plummetted all the way to pick #14. I trust that Stan Butler knows what he's doing in evaluating talent.

I've heard that and I think there could be some merit to that assessment. Relatively speaking though, his stock certainly plummeted. He was getting some tremendous hype in the first half last year and then it just went completely dead around the period of the OHL Cup and Prospects tourny. Hopefully he'll be ready for a full season in the OHL this year.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
bigd said:
Also I think Joe Palmer is still one of the top rated goalies. With Bennet hurt (shoulder) Palmer with get plenty of work this season.

When did Bennett get injured? How long is he expected to be out for?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:
When did Bennett get injured? How long is he expected to be out for?
I think he is being operated on this week. He could be out until January or february.
They wiil have to pull in another goalie from somewhere until then.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
Scoutman here are some US 06 eligible players to watch for, you missed quite a few.

Ryan Flynn is apparently getting some pretty good praise by pro scouts. Considering his size and skill combo, he will probably go in the first few rounds.

Another kid who is flying under the radar of most people here (much like Wheeler, Niskanen and some other recent MN high schoolers did at this stage of their draft year) is Michael Forney. Do not be surprised if he goes early as he has already received praise from Red Line Report this past year as a potential 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad