USA Hockey improving nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I'm not from the USA, so I'm not a homer when I'm saying this: USA Hockey is improving nicely. Not only because they won gold last year - when was the last time they had two great prospects like Jack Johnson and Phil Kessel? I mean, both will be franchise players in the NHL. And this year at the WJC they have a very very good team too. IMO they're still behind Canada but one could argue they are a better hockey country than Russia.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
International competition? Number of quality NHL prospects?

international competition? Russia has 3 golds, the US has 4 medals in total.

Number of quality prospects? I don't know.. Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Zherdev look pretty good to me

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MOGiLNY said:

Number of quality prospects? I don't know.. Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Zherdev look pretty good to me

I thought we were talking about the here and now, but you're right, Russia's hockey history is way more illustrious than the United States'. However, the U.S. has fared better than Russia at several levels of international competition of late, and as far as prospects goes, I think the U.S. has the better overall stable of talent. The future looks even brighter.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:

After Ovechkin and Malkin, I mean. The new bash of prospects. Russia has no one to match with the likes of Kessel and Johnson. Not in 2005, and not in 2006.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
MOGiLNY said:

I think he means recently, and I do agree. Over the past 5 years or so the USA seems to have surpassed Russia as the #2 hockey country. Here in Canada I think most people consider the USA as our closest rival now.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I thought we were talking about the here and now, but you're right, Russia's hockey history is way more illustrious than the United States'. However, the U.S. has fared better than Russia at several levels of international competition of late, and as far as prospects goes, I think the U.S. has the better overall stable of talent. The future looks even brighter.

really? where has US fared better?

and tell me how US has better prospects than Russia

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
markov` said:
I'm not from the USA, so I'm not a homer when I'm saying this: USA Hockey is improving nicely. Not only because they won gold last year - when was the last time they had two great prospects like Jack Johnson and Phil Kessel? I mean, both will be franchise players in the NHL. And this year at the WJC they have a very very good team too. IMO they're still behind Canada but one could argue they are a better hockey country than Russia.

Modano and...? I dunno. Somebody. Guerin or Roenick.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
really? where has US fared better?

and tell me how US has better prospects than Russia

I seem to recall a silver at Salt Lake and a gold last year at WJC..

When you think of Russia you think "what have you done for me lately?"

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
markov` said:
After Ovechkin and Malkin, I mean. The new bash of prospects. Russia has no one to match with the likes of Kessel and Johnson. Not in 2005, and not in 2006.

so because US has 2 great prospects they are better than Russia all of a sudden? I don't get it..

this is the same country that had an average age of 50 years old at the world cup, got embarassed by Russia in the first game, and won the 2nd game only because Russians played 4 games in 6 nights, and those 2 days of "rest" were used on travelling from the States to Canada and then back.

at the junior level, US I too don't see any superiority of US over Russia. if a 5:4 win make you think that they are better now, then all power to you..

but then explain me why Canada was still called the best hockey country in the world even though they lost to Russia 2 years in a row in 02 and 03..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
tomerez said:
I seem to recall a silver at Salt Lake and a gold last year at WJC..

When you think of Russia you think "what have you done for me lately?"

I can't bring up Russia's WJC gold from 2002 and 2003, but it's ok to bring up silver from salt lake??

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
...and won the 2nd game only because Russians played 4 games in 6 nights, and those 2 days of "rest" were used on travelling from the States to Canada and then back....

Yes that is the only reason why Russia lost to the USA..

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
I can't bring up Russia's WJC gold from 2002 and 2003, but it's ok to bring up silver from salt lake??

We are talking about different levels of international competition..

The latest and greatest at each respective level. USA is the reigning champion in WJC, and 2nd (ahead of Russia) in Olympics.

Reilly311

Well considering how unpopular hockey is here in the states, the US does fairly well. Too many kids are picking up bats, basketballs, and footballs and not hockey sticks. I can't even imagine how American heavy the NHL would be if hockey was as popular as football is in the states.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
If people think that Kessel and Johnson > Malkin and Ovechkin, they need to give their heads a shake.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
TML said:
If people think that Kessel and Johnson > Malkin and Ovechkin, they need to give their heads a shake.
You know It's funny to compare power of hockey nations via comparing 2 undrafted players vs. 2 players without any single game in NHL ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad