Usa-can, Rus-can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
"What used to be Canada-Russia, Canada-USA now is"

Please, spare me the stupid hype! Where does all this Canada-US crap come from. Give me the Russia-Canada matchup every single time! God I hate TSN.

Anybody else not see CAN-US as much of a rivalry. I see them as a rival but nowhere close to Canada-Russia!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anytime the USA beats Canada at something in hockey, the score is never settled until Canada beats USA

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
seemed to me like even last year, Mckenzie, Mcguire and the rest were spitting all over the cameras with all the talk of how Canada-Russia is a big rivalry blah blah blah... now I findout the rivalry is no longer there.

Not that I really care, I don't think Russia has ever hated Canada like Canada has hated Russia, but today's hype for this round robin game seems a bit excessive to me.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
That whole piece TSN just showed was a nice job of revisionist history.

1996, while not a high in Canadian hockey, was not what set off alarms. It was the fourth place finish in Nagano that led to the creation of that whole council to find out what was "wrong with Canadian hockey." The World Cup played a part, but that they completely skipped over 1998 is ridiculous.

As for the final in 2002, I don't remember thinking "We must beat the Americans because of 1996." I remember thinking, "We need a friggin gold, it's been 50 years!"

Canada-US is a good hockey rivalry, but TSN seems to be making things up to hype this one game.

tsar

It will never be anything remotely like Canada-Russia rivalry… 2 years down the road US won’t have a team they have now.. besides I don’t even see anything special about this years team anyway. Canada owns them after one.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
deandebean said:
US-Canada will never match the other one. It can't, simply can't. It was more than hockey.

Some food for thought...

As a 40-something hockey writer, I was 10 years old in 1972 when the Summit Series was played (CDA/RUS). I have researched it for years and every September 28th, I watch a tape of the final game. For many in my generation, and those older than I, I suspect it is difficult to see CDA/USA as anything remotely similar.

Was it 1980, 'Miracle On Ice', when the USA beat Russia in a semi-final game to advance and win the Olympic gold medal? As 'deandebean' said of the CDA/RUS rivalry, "it was more than hockey". I suspect many USA hockey fans felt the same way during the Lake Placid Olympic Games.

CDA/USA...perhaps this is more of a rivalry in the eyes of younger people today? However, I have yet to see a CDA/USA match up that sent the type of shock waves through the hockey world like 1972 and 1980.

Interesting how Russia was involved in both...

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
Vincent_TheGreat said:
"What used to be Canada-Russia, Canada-USA now is"

Please, spare me the stupid hype! Where does all this Canada-US crap come from. Give me the Russia-Canada matchup every single time! God I hate TSN.

Anybody else not see CAN-US as much of a rivalry. I see them as a rival but nowhere close to Canada-Russia!

I disagree. The Canada/US rivalry is getting very close to the Canada/Russia rivalry to me. Looking to the future, I definitely fear the US more. Russia still has its moments but it has not been the powerhouse of old for quite sometime and the US is getting stronger and stronger and I don't see any sign of them peaking anytime soon.

Also I would rank the US a close second in the passion department and that makes for a good rivalary.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Vincent_TheGreat said:
I'm 23, And I find Russia a much bigger rivalry then the US! Watching WJC's even 2-3 years ago and in the 90's, knowing the great history, its all CAN-RUS.

Good to hear...CDA/RUS is just a better buzz...

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Fact of the matter is,

Russia + Canada is usually > than USA + Canada in most competitions save women's hockey. Sure there are excepetions like the last Olympics where Russia and USA were on par with the USA edging out Russia....

Yet it remains a simple matter, Russia vs. Canada is usually simply better hockey and more competitive between the true and historic superpowers of hockey.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
tsar said:
I don’t even see anything special about this years team anyway. Canada owns them after one.

Owned? The game was basically a tie. I don't know how you can say Canada "owned" them

joe_shannon_1983*

I disagree that Canada vs. Russia is a bigger hockey rivalry. It once was, but it isn't now.

Canada vs. U.S.S.R. in 1972 was bigger than Canada vs. U.S.A. in 2005. But Canada vs. Russia in 2005 isn't nearly as heated or passionate as Canada vs. U.S.A. in 2005

I think that the majority of people in Canada would prefer to lose to Russia, than lose to the U.S.A. In 2003 when Canada lost to Russia it was more "damn we lost" and people didn't pay nearly as much attention to who Canada lost to. Whereas in 2004 when Canada lost to U.S.A. it was more "damn we lost to the Americans".

There is just something about U.S.A. beating Canada at hockey that drives a lot of Canadians crazy, me included.

Somebody said that Canada vs. Russia was more than hockey? Well, Canada vs. U.S.A. is more than hockey. Whenever the U.S.A. is involved in any sports competition, things outside of the sport are always involved, due to stereotypes about American people and due to the U.S.A. having such controversial governments and foreign policies.

I personally think that Canada vs. U.S.A. has passed Canada vs. Russia in the rivalry department, ever since 1996 (or even 1991). People in Canada just don't hate Russia as much as they hate the U.S.A., especially since: (a) the U.S.S.R. crumbled; (b) U.S.A. beat Canada in 1996; and (c) U.S.A. took away Quebec and Winnipeg from the NHL.

I would bet that if you were poll 1000 random people on the street right now, asking them who they would hate losing to the most in hockey, U.S.A. or Russia, that at least 600-700 (if not more) would say U.S.A.

Canada and Canadians never like to lose at hockey. But losing is always made ten times worse when the loss comes at the hands of U.S.A., which is more than can be said in regards to losing to Russia in 2005.

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
The Albino said:
As for the final in 2002, I don't remember thinking "We must beat the Americans because of 1996." I remember thinking, "We need a friggin gold, it's been 50 years!"

I remember being sad that we didn't get to play Russia in the finals :pout:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Anyone feel that perhaps there is a rivalry with the United States because they're becoming a legitimate threat and perhaps Canadians feel that the US is/has stolen a piece of hockey from Canada?

Comparing that to Russia, they've always excelled, thus it isn't perceived that they might be taking anything away.

But the Americans, well they've taken hockey through expansion, and 'stolen' (use the term loosely) two franchises from Canada.

Perhaps the rivalry with the Americans is more territorial than anything.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
Anyone feel that perhaps there is a rivalry with the United States because they're becoming a legitimate threat and perhaps Canadians feel that the US is/has stolen a piece of hockey from Canada?

Comparing that to Russia, they've always excelled, thus it isn't perceived that they might be taking anything away.

But the Americans, well they've taken hockey through expansion, and 'stolen' (use the term loosely) two franchises from Canada.

Perhaps the rivalry with the Americans is more territorial than anything.

To me it is all about the threat and most notably the future threat of the US. The US program is a already threat and I don't see anyone with as much upside to their program as the them. But...bring it on!

I don't get the "stolen" franchise thing at all. First of all the US wouldn't have stolen the franchise if we could have financially supported them ourselves. Instead doomed franchises found a home in the US and that is a helluva lot better than folding. Our dollar at the time had put tremendous pressure on all of our small market teams and I suppose one could blame that on the US's flair for capitalism but that would be kind of silly. However, with our dollar up and the new CBA the reverse pressure is on and some Canadian vultures are circling already :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->