usa at 5 nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
2-0-1 in the tournament. mike hoeffel (mn) and jimmy hayes (ma) lead the team in scoring with 5 points each. jake johnson (mn) has 4, and joey diamond (ny), brett bruneteau (ne), robbie vrolyk (ma), and brian malchoff (ct) each have 3 points.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
You're missing one game. They went 3-0-1. Hayes had seven points while Diamond had five and Bruneteau and Vrolyk had four each.

I don't understand how this team could pound the Czechs 9-4 and then go on to tie Switzerland 2-2.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
yea i dont know how that happened either. tough losses for ntdp; looks like bruneteau, hoeffel, and hayes are gonna be players. do you know if hoeffel and bruneteau are or are not goin to the ntdp?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Hoeffel is staying in Minnesota and continuing to play high school hockey. Bruneteau is going to play with Omaha in the USHL.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
You're missing one game. They went 3-0-1. Hayes had seven points while Diamond had five and Bruneteau and Vrolyk had four each.

I don't understand how this team could pound the Czechs 9-4 and then go on to tie Switzerland 2-2.

Canada usually does the same thing, hammers on the pretty good teams and then has a squeaker vs. the crap teams.

Now, I'm not saying Team USA is Canada, but.......

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
yea but this is basically usa's B team or even C team, so they have played very well in that regard

A team that features Petreki, Llewellyn and Hayes can hardly be considered a "B or C" team.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
yea that was a bad choice of words, but if the ntdp is their "A" team, even if all the best arent on it, then this would be considered their B team.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
yea that was a bad choice of words, but if the ntdp is their "A" team, even if all the best arent on it, then this would be considered their B team.

Many of these kids could have made the NTDP, some turned the team down. This year's NTDP U-17 team is not a very strong one and could easily be matched by the select U-17's.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
VOB said:
Many of these kids could have made the NTDP, some turned the team down. This year's NTDP U-17 team is not a very strong one and could easily be matched by the select U-17's.
They say that every year. When the 87's went to tryouts many of the top players turned it down and that team turned out to be the strongest group to date. The 88's will be strong and i'm sure the 89's will be too. USA hockey does a good job of picking the NTDP players. They don't always get all the players they initially want but they make the players they have the best in the world and that is the reason why the progam is still alive.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
bigd said:
They say that every year. When the 87's went to tryouts many of the top players turned it down and that team turned out to be the strongest group to date. The 88's will be strong and i'm sure the 89's will be too. USA hockey does a good job of picking the NTDP players. They don't always get all the players they initially want but they make the players they have the best in the world and that is the reason why the progam is still alive.

The 1987 class was loaded with talent as well as depth, so it mattered little when players like Ryan turned them down. The 1988 class (with the exception of Meuller) does not possess any where near the offensive fire power of the 87's. It does, though, have a solid back end that will make them contend for a medal in any international tournament they play in. The 89's are very thin, lacking any franchise type forward ala Kessel or Mueller and are a step below the 88's in terms of quality Dmen.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
bigd said:

yeah look at all the players that turned down the invite from the 87 team, bobby ryan is really the only one to have huge success, and thats probably the best ntdp team ever. makes you wonder if the guys like steve spade, andrew andricoupolos, joey ryan, dev heshmatpour, jon ammerman, etc. would have had more success in the program if they had gone that route. i think the program does a great job, and even when they dont get the big guys like reese, okposo, bowman, b ryan, petrecki, llewellyn, etc they still pick good replacements/substitutes and get the most from those players.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
VOB said:
The 1987 class was loaded with talent as well as depth, so it mattered little when players like Ryan turned them down. The 1988 class (with the exception of Meuller) does not possess any where near the offensive fire power of the 87's. It does, though, have a solid back end that will make them contend for a medal in any international tournament they play in. The 89's are very thin, lacking any franchise type forward ala Kessel or Mueller and are a step below the 88's in terms of quality Dmen.

the d is pretty strong though. fairchild and shattenkirk are studs. many think cohen is overated, but he might surprise some people. who do you think the leading scorers will be? it looks like it might be ryan hayes, but hes not in the same league as kessel, or even pat kane for that matter. im curious to see how van riemsdyk will play. right now in my opinion i think hayes, severyn, and maybe rust will be the top scorers. i know in the past they didnt get some of the top players in the age group, but this year seems like they missed the most. you could make a team of kids not going to ntdp that would probably beat the 89 team.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
VOB said:
The 88 team also has, not one but two, quality goaltenders. They may not have a phenom at forward but they are, IMO, much deeper in forward talant than the 87 team. Not trying to downplay what the 87 team did this season but think the 88 team is a much more balanced team and will match what the 87's did last season. They are a hard working team with a coach that demands nothing short of their best effort. Rolston was constantly shortening the bench last season where Hynes only shortens the bench for disaplanary purposes.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
bigd said:
. They may not have a phenom at forward but they are, IMO, much deeper in forward talant than the 87 team.

Going to have disagree with you there big time bigd. Other than Kane, they do not possess a true scoring threat and Kane is a far cry from not only a Kessel but a Gerbe, Skille and Stoa as well.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've backed the NTDP for a long time but seeing the top players pass the team up is getting kind of frustrating. They should pull out all the stops to get the top guys to at least show up for the international tournaments. Don't blackball the CHL kids for the U17 World Challenge when they are available (Bobby Ryan anyone?). Unless it's injury or scheduling conflict there should be no reason to exclude a skilled player.

At the same time, I'd like to see the players themselves be a little more enthusiastic about getting the best team together. Injuries are one thing, but to miss a tournament you're available for without any good reason is wrong IMO.

I remember a few years back O'Sullivan skipped out on the U18s because his agent told him to. The only reason I could see an agent saying that is over the issue of a player's personal stock. O'Sullivan was a dominant player as an underager the year before so I guess he felt he had nothing to prove. To me, that's a poor and selfish excuse. Playing for your country is a matter of pride, not personal ambition.

Mueller did the same thing for last year's U17 World Challenge. He could have been the team's dominant player, something they ended up missing. I wouldn't be surprised if he skips out on this year's U18s even if he's avaiable which would be a real shame as they could really use him. Compare this to a kid like Okposo who wasn't interested in joining the program but made it to a number of tournaments with the NTDP. Hopefully he'll do the same thing this year.

Hopefully James O'Brien will be willing to join the U17s this year for the U17 World Challenge as they will need a player of his ability. If Jimmy Hayes, Mike Hoeffel, Nick Petrecki or Tristan Llwellyn really dominate in thier respective league between now and then I'd hope they could be brought along some how.

Part of me has thought that they should only try and bring in 9 forwards, 4 d-men and 1 goalie to form the core for international tournaments and then fill the rest of the team with role players of various age and abilities for the rest of the schedule (against the junior/college teams). Besides the flexibility it would give them to make additions for tournaments it would probably also cut down on the number of reasonably promising players who get no ice time in thier time with the program. It would probably also save the program some money which they could reallocate somewwhere else.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
BTW, has anyone heard if they're done with the U17 roster?

Here's who I know is on it as of now...

Forwards (10):
Matt Rust
Ryan Hayes
John Albert
James Van Riemsdyk
Brennan Vargas
Mike Cieslak
Ryan Schnell
Richard Manley
Justin Vaive
CJ Severyn

Defense (8):
Cade Fairchild
Ian Cole
Joey lavin
Kevin Shattenkirk
Colby Cohen
Teddy Ruth
David Kolomatis
AJ Sturges

Goalies (2):
Brad Phillips
Josh Unice

I know forwards Jimmy Hayes, Mike Hoeffel, Brett Bruneteau and d-men Nick Petrecki and Tristan Llewellyn have turned them down.

I read somewhere recently that they had offered a spot to '90 born forward Phillip McCrae and he was considering it. Anyone hear about this?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
cagney said:
BTW, has anyone heard if they're done with the U17 roster?

Here's who I know is on it as of now...

Forwards (10):
Matt Rust
Ryan Hayes
John Albert
James Van Riemsdyk
Brennan Vargas
Mike Cieslak
Ryan Schnell
Richard Manley
Justin Vaive
CJ Severyn

Defense (8):
Cade Fairchild
Ian Cole
Joey lavin
Kevin Shattenkirk
Colby Cohen
Teddy Ruth
David Kolomatis
AJ Sturges

Goalies (2):
Brad Phillips
Josh Unice

I know forwards Jimmy Hayes, Mike Hoeffel, Brett Bruneteau and d-men Nick Petrecki and Tristan Llewellyn have turned them down.

I read somewhere recently that they had offered a spot to '90 born forward Phillip McCrae and he was considering it. Anyone hear about this?

The players you listed is the roster so far as i know it. its getting late in the summer, and they still need to add 2 or 3 forwards. Im pretty sure Nico Sacchetti turned down the offer for the tryout camp, he probably would have made the team, hes a real talent. I havent heard that about mcrae, but im all for them adding an underager, you just hope he turns out like a mueller or o'sullivan instead of a morin or vernarsky. i hear mcrae is one of the best 90's though, the only one to make a ushl protected list. How would he compare to mitch wahl from california? he was a very high whl pick. Its inevitable that the ntdp will miss players, or they will not commit, but it seems this year more so then ever. alot of top players turned down the offer, and they missed some real good dual citizens. it will be interesting to see how this team turns out

blackpilot

Aug 5, 2005
Here is the final NTDP U17 team 2005/2006

It's posted on USA web under NTDP. U18 is on there too with both teams schdules.

No.
15 John Albert Forward
24 David Kolomatis Defense
25 Colby Cohen Defense
28 Ian Cole Defense
33 Josh Unice Goalie
39 Brad Phillips Goalie
44 Joseph Lavin Defense
45 Mike Cieslak Forward
46 Kevin Shattenkirk Defense
54 Teddy Ruth Defense
56 Ryan Schnell Forward
61 James vanRiemsdyk Forward
66 Justin Vaive Forward
81 Richard Manley Forward
88 C.J. Severyn Forward
89 Brennan Vargas Forward
91 Ryan Hayes Forward
97 Cade Fairchild Defense
98 Matt Rust Forward
72 Colin Wilson Forward
51 A.J. Sturges Defense
94 Philip McRae Forward

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Good timing. I guess they decided to add McRae after all. BTW, he's the son of former NHL'er Basil McRae to those who might be curious.

Who is Colin Wilson? I've never heard of him.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
cagney said:
Good timing. I guess they decided to add McRae after all. BTW, he's the son of former NHL'er Basil McRae to those who might be curious.

Who is Colin Wilson? I've never heard of him.

me neither?? im glad they picked an underager, i hear mcrae is very good.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It looks like Wilson is a Canadian dual-citizen who played midget AAA hockey in Winnipeg last season.

He had 51 goals and 50 assists for 101 points in 36 games to lead the league in scoring (the next highest total was 75 points from a player on the same team).

Any Canadians know about this kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad