USA Anthem Follies - Canadian Idol?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Oilers Chick said:
I saw the clip too (on the CBC News feed on NWI down here in the States). I'm glad she was ok but I couldn't believe that she flubbed the words to the "Star Spangled Banner".

...and yes, I'm another American who knows all of the words to "O Canada".

Accodrding to the Calgary newscasters, half of Americans don't even know all the words in the first stanza of the Star Spangled Banner.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I can't believe that loser was invited to a TV show after embarassing herself like that.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, forgetting or being too nervous to sing the words to an anthem.

What's wrong is to be selected to perform when you're obviously devoid of talent. What's wrong is to try to accomplish a job you're not cut to accomplish. What's wrong is that there are dozens of people who not only DREAM of performing a national anthem but actually work hard to be REAL pro singers.

Not only did that fat slob get the first gig because of her dad's connection, but now our modern culture which loves to celebrates mediocrity and instant stardom is rewarding that worthless clown further.

Unbelievable.

Maybe she's the next Star Wars kid. They'll make t-shirts and sing her praises like the little Pejorative Slur-geek in 2003.

Jesus, lighten up.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
octopi said:
Accodrding to the Calgary newscasters, half of Americans don't even know all the words in the first stanza of the Star Spangled Banner.

Rule #1: Trust a Canadian's statements about America just as much as you'd trust a Red Sox fan's statements about the Yankees ( or vice versa ).

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
AHL MV said:
Rule #1: Trust a Canadian's statements about America just as much as you'd trust a Red Sox fan's statements about the Yankees ( or vice versa ).

just like how America should have trusted Canada's statements about WMD's in Iraq...

oh wait, you didn't...

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I can't believe that loser was invited to a TV show after embarassing herself like that.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, forgetting or being too nervous to sing the words to an anthem.

What's wrong is to be selected to perform when you're obviously devoid of talent. What's wrong is to try to accomplish a job you're not cut to accomplish. What's wrong is that there are dozens of people who not only DREAM of performing a national anthem but actually work hard to be REAL pro singers.

Not only did that fat slob get the first gig because of her dad's connection, but now our modern culture which loves to celebrates mediocrity and instant stardom is rewarding that worthless clown further.

Unbelievable.

Maybe she's the next Star Wars kid. They'll make t-shirts and sing her praises like the little Pejorative Slur-geek in 2003.

Holy buddy calm down...Public speaking is hard enough for some people. I can't imagine what it would be like singing in front of that many people. You have to get a start somewhere and it's a fact that some people could prepare as much as possible and still simply choke. It's going to happen and IMO its not the fault of the person picking the singer. Everyone has to get a chance somewhere and maybe that was one of her first BIG gigs (I am not sure but it's just a guess). I am on radio and practiced many, many, many times and my first crack at it i could barely breath after the first minute just from being nervous. Give her a break you know how many people would just have run off the ice from embarrasment after forgetting the words once? She had the courage to come back out and I give her props for that. :clap:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hemsky83Schremp44 said:
Holy buddy calm down...Public speaking is hard enough for some people. I can't imagine what it would be like singing in front of that many people. You have to get a start somewhere and it's a fact that some people could prepare as much as possible and still simply choke. It's going to happen and IMO its not the fault of the person picking the singer. Everyone has to get a chance somewhere and maybe that was one of her first BIG gigs (I am not sure but it's just a guess). I am on radio and practiced many, many, many times and my first crack at it i could barely breath after the first minute just from being nervous. Give her a break you know how many people would just have run off the ice from embarrasment after forgetting the words once?

First, I am calm. I just don't like what happened ;)

I agree with you that one has to start somewhere but, come on, a big arena + TV is absolutely NOT the place to begin. I am a firm believer that you should give it to people who have earned it.

Secondly, I do blame the people who selected her. It was a cheap selection based on her connections, not her accomplishments. It is very obvious that hack got the gig because her father has connection with hockey canada.

I agree that everyone should get a chance somewhere. That's what small gigs, clubs, choirs, etc. are for. It is better for the artists themselves and of course more respectful for the audience as well because it avoids embarassments like that.

I just think there are plenty of talented, seasoned singers out there who have a lot of experience. They have not only paid their dues but have been confronted with numerous technical problems. They can handle the pressure well. There's plenty of talent out there.

I just don't like the trend these days to put people with connections on stage or to mold "instant stars" with shows such as American Idol when there are plenty of people out there busting their asses who actually know their stuff.

I don't need to see a a talentless numbnut **** up an anthem or look at Gretzky's daughter lipsyncing at a major events when there are qualified people who can do a beautiful rendition. And if they **** it up, at least I know they worked to get there.

But that's just me :D

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
people make mistakes, it wasnt out of disrespect to the USA.

stuff like this happens, remember the upsidedown canadian flag at the world series back in 1992 in atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad