USA Anthem Follies - Canadian Idol?????

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Wetcoaster, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster Guest

During last night's pre-game ceremonies before the US 5-4 win in Quebec city, "singer" Carol Marcil (daughter of Hockey Quebec head Rene Marcil) forgot the words to the Star Spangled Banner (twice) and then after running off to get a cue card took a Chevy Chase style pratfall before leaving without completing the anthem.

Three lessons from this:

1. Singers should know the words to the song (or at least have a good lip-synch engineer - NOTE do not use someone from Ashlee Simpson's crew);

2. Nepotism does not pay; and

3. Anthem singers should NOT wear high heels on the ice.

Marty Brodeur's take on the whole proceedings????

"You've got to give her credit, she came back twice and fell once," he said with a laugh. "It's definitely a different way to start a hockey game than we're used to.

"There was a little bit of humour involved. It was just too bad for her. I was just thinking that I hope she's not on Canadian Idol."

For the story and a video clip see:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114263677657_29/?hub=Canada

2. 12# Peter Bondra

12# Peter Bondra Registered User

Good she didnt hit her dead on the boards.

3. wilka91*

wilka91* Registered User

Oh my God, she could have broken her neck like that ... jeeeesus!

4. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    I can't believe the players didn't pick her up right away.

5. eaton28

eaton28 Registered User

not a big deal, she was probaly nerves how many americans know ALL the words to Oh Canada... not many

6. The Legend

The Legend GW

Probably, but how many Americans' job is it to know the words to Oh canada?

7. tom_servo

tom_servo Registered User

Home Page:
    Exactly. Like they just picked her out of the crowd on the spot, or something.

8. I do, and I don't know the words to the star spangled banner. It's only because of hockey that I know it though.

9. SenatorsFan

SenatorsFan Registered User

When I first saw the clip on TV last night, I laughed hysterically for about five minutes straight. When I saw it a second time on a different channel, I actually felt really bad for her. But now that I've seen it a third time I can honestly say thats one of the most messed up things I've ever seen.

I don't get it, did they just pick her at random right before the start of the game. The fact that she forgot the words TWICE!!!! is enough. The falling on her back part was just icing on the cake.

10. puck57

puck57 Registered User

Paulina Gretzky was one American who knew all the words to "O Canada" last fall when she sang in Toronto and she managed not to fall down too. As compared to last night's performance, I would say Paulina did a lot better.

11. johnny cool

johnny cool Registered User

don't worry about it
    I know the words to both the American and Canadian national anthems, and insist on singing O Canada every time it's played at a hockey game.

12. deandebean

deandebean Registered User

Home Page:
    Just to correct things, René Marcil is not the president of Hockey Quebec. In fact, René will become Hockey Canada's president very soon, replacing Bob Nicholson.

But his daughter's performance at the Colisee was a classic. Great tv.

13. Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster Guest

He has a number of position with Hockey Canada including heading up Hockey Quebec.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:.../public/download.asp?ID=274+Rene+Marcil&hl=en

14. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    They showed the segment of that fall on my local fox news...they didnt talk about the actual HOCKEY game at all or who Canada was even facing or the outcome...I hate US Media.

15. Victory Ali*

Victory Ali* Guest

5-4 USA

In the Canada Vs. USA exhibition in case you were wondering.

I feel really bad for her... it was still funny but just damn... that must have really sucked.

16. Homme de la Meduse

Homme de la Meduse Registered User

She was on Good Morning America and she sang the USA's anthem today. So saying that she don't know the words is not right. She was only nervous.

17. PredsFan77*

PredsFan77* Guest

Is there anyway I can save this to my computer? This is priceless. Oh and btw I know the words to Oh Canada...I thank HNIC for it.

18. Nuclear

Nuclear Registered User

It really was horrible, and I feel really bad for her. One of the players that knew the song should have skated over and helped her out IMO.

19. sparkle twin

sparkle twin Throw the Catfish

Same here. Different channel (ABC) but same thing, they said she was singing the US anthem at a game in Canada between the 2 nations. Then showed the clip. Although, I think by the time the clip is over you kind of forget that it was at a hockey game only focusing on "forgot the words, twice, and fell on the ice."

At least she didn't hit her head on the open door or the boards.

I feel bad laughing because that was so horrible for her, but it's always funny when someone falls down.

20. Oilers Chick

Oilers Chick Registered User

Home Page:
    I saw the clip too (on the CBC News feed on NWI down here in the States). I'm glad she was ok but I couldn't believe that she flubbed the words to the "Star Spangled Banner".

...and yes, I'm another American who knows all of the words to "O Canada".

21. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

I can't believe that loser was invited to a TV show after embarassing herself like that.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, forgetting or being too nervous to sing the words to an anthem.

What's wrong is to be selected to perform when you're obviously devoid of talent. What's wrong is to try to accomplish a job you're not cut to accomplish. What's wrong is that there are dozens of people who not only DREAM of performing a national anthem but actually work hard to be REAL pro singers.

Not only did that fat slob get the first gig because of her dad's connection, but now our modern culture which loves to celebrates mediocrity and instant stardom is rewarding that worthless clown further.

Unbelievable.

Maybe she's the next Star Wars kid. They'll make t-shirts and sing her praises like the little ******-geek in 2003.

22. Flukeshot

Flukeshot Hextall Activate!

9-5'ing
    Nice to see hockey get some big coverage all over the United States, it was even on PTI tonight. I wonder how many stations actually showed highlights of the game too.

23. clefty

clefty Retrovertigo

Home Page:
    You're such a delightful person.

24. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Im watching tonights Fox's Local news and AGAIN..yes AGAIN they showed the segment with the lady falling and forgetting the words...they are really getting a kick out of this. I really wish I had a Canadian satellite, this is just sad. BTW..they ACTUALLY gave the final score of the game, 5-4....no highlights though of course...imagine that! :biglaugh:

25. Homme de la Meduse

Homme de la Meduse Registered User

She sings since she's a little kid and she has a beautiful voice. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.