USA 6:0 Slovenija

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
In USA's only exhibition game before start of World Championship, they defeated Slovenija tonight in Jesenice 6:0 (0:0, 3:0, 3:0), before 3,000 spectators.

Goals:

1:0 USA Ryan Malone (Thomas Gilbert), *PP1 in 33rd minute
2:0 USA Drew Stafford (Mark Cullen), EQ in 34th minute
3:0 USA Mark Cullen (Andy Hilbert, Andrew Alberts), *PP1 in 38th minute
4:0 USA Philip Kessel (Joe Corvo), EQ in 43rd minute
5:0 USA Ryan Malone (Dustin Brown, Joe Corvo), EQ in 44th minute
6:0 USA Dustin Brown (unassisted), EQ in 53rd minute

Penalty minutes: USA 10 minutes, Slovenija 12 minutes

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
More details below:

United States Downs Slovenia, 6-0, In Tune-Up For IIHF World Championship

JESENICE, Slovenia – Ryan Malone scored twice to lead the U.S. Men’s National Team to a 6-0 win over Slovenia today in its lone exhibition game prior to the upcoming International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship in Riga, Latvia. Team USA opens play in the event Friday (May 5) against Norway.

“We did some good things,†said U.S. Head Coach Mike Eaves, who just a month ago led the University of Wisconsin men’s ice hockey team to the NCAA Division I championship. “We’re just getting to know each other and start to build team chemistry. It was important for us to get a game under our belt before we begin play in the World Championship.â€

After a scoreless first period, Team USA struck for three second-period goals. Malone got things started at 12:46 when he walked out of the left corner and backhanded one to the far side with the United States on the power play. Drew Stafford made it 2-0 at 13:49 when he fired one from the high slot over the glove of netminder Gaber Glavic. Mark Cullen finished the second-period scoring with a power-play marker from the slot off a slick cross-ice feed from Andy Hilbert.

Team USA added three more goals in the third, including two in first 3:19, to account for the final score. Phil Kessel beat a Slovenian defender one-on-one coming off the left wing and went far side to make it 4-0 at 2:41. Malone then put the puck between the legs of goaltender Andrej Hocevar off a goal-mouth feed from Dustin Brown just 38 seconds later. Brown tapped in a rebound off a Kessel shot that hit the crossbar to account for the game’s final tally.

Craig Anderson and Jason Bacashihua split time in the U.S. goal. Anderson made 11 stops in the game’s first 29:50, while Bacashihua finished the contest and had five saves.

Team USA will play the first of three preliminary-round games in the IIHF World Championship Friday at 9:15 a.m. (EDT) against Norway.

USA 0-3-3 -- 6
SLO 0-0-0 -- 0

First Period – Scoring: No Scoring. Penalties: SLV, Kranjc (roughing), 2:29; USA, Orpik (interference), 5:46; SLV, Ciglenecki (interference), 7:19; USA, Greene (boarding), 11:41; SLV, Razingar (high-sticking), 14:38.

Second Period – Scoring: 1, USA, Malone (Gilbert), 12:46 (pp); 2, USA, Stafford (Cullen), 13:49; 3, USA, Cullen (Hilbert, Alberts), 17:57 (pp). Penalties: USA, Malone (interference), 0:57; USA, Alberts (holding), 6:10; USA, Alberts (roughing), 10:18; SLV, Milovanovic (boarding), 11:42; SLV, Milovanovic (holding), 16:16.

Third Period – Scoring: 4, USA, Kessel (Corvo), 2:41; 5, USA, Malone (Brown, Corvo), 3:19; 6, USA, Brown (unassisted), 12:20. Penalties: USA, Kesler (charging), 14:18; SLV, Varl (holding), 18:28.

Shots By Period 1 2 3 Total
USA 6 8 8 22
SLO 7 7 2 16

Goaltending (SH-SV) 1 2 3 Total
USA, Anderson (29:50) 7-7 4-4 - 11-11
USA, Bacashihua (30:10) - 3-3 2-2 5-5
SLO, Kristan (20:00) 6-6 - - 6-6
SLO, Glavic (20:00) - 8-5 - 8-5
SLO, Hocevar (20:00) - - 8-5 8-5

Power Play: USA 2-6; SLO 0-6

Penalties: USA 6-12; SLO 6-12

Officials: Referee-Viki Trilar; Linesmen-Ernest Pozenel, Damir Rakovic

Attendance: 3,500

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
"Phil Kessel beat a Slovenian defender one-on-one coming off the left wing and went far side to make it 4-0 at 2:41." I wonder if Phil used "the move"? :sarcasm:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks for posting the USA Hockey info. There is some discussion about the game/roster on the USA thread. Does anyone know which Greene played today? Is that Andy Greene that just signed with the Devils? Matt Greene is with the Oilers for the playoff run.

edit: Rabid R - I type too slow, I had the same question and made the same assumption you did in your post :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
Thanks for posting the USA Hockey info. There is some discussion about the game/roster on the USA thread. Does anyone know which Greene played today? Is that Andy Greene that just signed with the Devils? Matt Greene is with the Oilers for the playoff run.

edit: Rabid R - I type too slow, I had the same question and made the same assumption you did in your post :)

Great minds think alike. Greene's a nice prospect. I'll be interested to see how he does in this tourney.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Great minds think alike. Greene's a nice prospect. I'll be interested to see how he does in this tourney.

I question whether he plays in the official games; seems to me they needed to fill some roster spots for the exhibition game and took some young guys for the experience, etc. I agree about Greene as a prospect, another good Devils signing, IMO.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Although my knowledge of Slovenian language is limited at best, you may be right sk84fun_dc regarding the usage of Andy Greene. The Slovenian news agency reported that # 8 Phil Kessel, # 5 Tom Gilbert and # 10 Andy Greene were added specifically for the game against Slovenija in order to give the USA team a roster of 18 players (2 goalies, 16 skaters).

LeftKinger you had asked about Anze Kopitar? Again, I do not read Slovenian proficiently, but the news reports seem to indicate his line of Tomaz Razingar and Marcel Rodman were effectively shut down by big Bruin defenceman Hal Gill.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:

At first I thought it was Matt Greene, but realized he is sitting in the press box for Edmonton. No matter, as I also like Andy Greene as a prospect, a small but smooth skating d-man with an offensive touch.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Can anyone let me know how Gilbert looked? I am excited about his chances of making the Oilers next season.

He got an assist, and no penalties, so am I to assume he was ok?

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
svetovy poharu said:
Although my knowledge of Slovenian language is limited at best, you may be right sk84fun_dc regarding the usage of Andy Greene. The Slovenian news agency reported that # 8 Phil Kessel, # 5 Tom Gilbert and # 10 Andy Greene were added specifically for the game against Slovenija in order to give the USA team a roster of 18 players (2 goalies, 16 skaters).

LeftKinger you had asked about Anze Kopitar? Again, I do not read Slovenian proficiently, but the news reports seem to indicate his line of Tomaz Razingar and Marcel Rodman were effectively shut down by big Bruin defenceman Hal Gill.
Thanks. :handclap:

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Gamera, one news account listed Jim Slater as having a great scoring chance only to be stopped by goalie Gaber Glavic in the second period.

S7ark, I have not seen Tom Gilbert's name appear in a Slovene newspaper article except for his scoring assist, so I am not sure how he played.

According to the Slovenian papers Ljubljanske Novice and Dnevnik, it appears that Slovenija dressed 28 players (15 forwards, 10 defencemen and 3 goalies) for this exhibition contest, while the USA team dressed 18 players (10 forwards, 6 defencemen and 2 goalies).

The Slovenian news agency STA listed the lineup for the USA as:
Goalies: Craig Anderson, Jason Bacashihua.
Defence: Tom Gilbert, Joe Corvo, Andy Greene, Hal Gill, Andrew Alberts, Brooks Orpik.
Forwards: Phil Kessel, Dustin Brown, Ryan Malone, Drew Stafford, Mark Cullen, Andy Hilbert, Ryan Kesler, Richard Park, Marty Reasoner, Jim Slater.

The line combinations and defence pairings for Slovenija were published as:

1st Line: Tomaz Razingar-Anze Kopitar-Marcel Rodman;
Defence pairing: Ales Kranjc-Mitja Sotlar

2nd Line: Anze Terlikar-David Rodman-Jaka Avgustincic;
Defence pairing: Robert Ciglenecki-Mitja Robar

3rd Line: Andrej Hebar-Tomo Hafner-Rok Pajic;
Defence pairing: Jurij Golicic-Jakob Milovanovic

4th Line: Gregor Poloncic-Dejan Varl-Boris Pretnar;
Defence pairing: Uros Vidmar-Elvis Beslagic

5th Line: Luka Zagar-Mitja Sivic-Egon Muric;
Defence pairing: Ziga Svete-Bostjan Groznik

After the game, Slovenija coach Frantisek Vyborny announced that 4 players would not be going to Riga (defencemen Elvis Beslagic & Ziga Svete, and forwards Boris Pretnar & Gregor Poloncic).

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
svetovy poharu said:
After the game, Slovenija coach Frantisek Vyborny announced that 4 players would not be going to Riga (defencemen Elvis Beslagic & Ziga Svete, and forwards Boris Pretnar & Gregor Poloncic).

Nooo! :shakehead We used to play against each other very much. I was really looking forwad to see him play agian.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
svetovy poharu said:
Gamera, one news account listed Jim Slater as having a great scoring chance only to be stopped by goalie Gaber Glavic in the second period.

S7ark, I have not seen Tom Gilbert's name appear in a Slovene newspaper article except for his scoring assist, so I am not sure how he played.

According to the Slovenian papers Ljubljanske Novice and Dnevnik, it appears that Slovenija dressed 28 players (15 forwards, 10 defencemen and 3 goalies) for this exhibition contest, while the USA team dressed 18 players (10 forwards, 6 defencemen and 2 goalies).

The Slovenian news agency STA listed the lineup for the USA as:
Goalies: Craig Anderson, Jason Bacashihua.
Defence: Tom Gilbert, Joe Corvo, Andy Greene, Hal Gill, Andrew Alberts, Brooks Orpik.
Forwards: Phil Kessel, Dustin Brown, Ryan Malone, Drew Stafford, Mark Cullen, Andy Hilbert, Ryan Kesler, Richard Park, Marty Reasoner, Jim Slater.

thanks for the info! Slater's one of my favorites. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->