us ntdp u 17 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ24

Jul 1, 2002
Visit site
So far

FORWARDS (9):

Ryan Hayes, 5-8/161, Syracuse, NY, Syracuse Stars (OPJHL)
Brennan Vargas, 6-0/186, Coon Rapids, Minn., Coon Rapids HS
C.J. Severyn, 6-0/165, Beaver, PA, Pittsburgh Hornets Midget Minor
Matt Rust, 5-9½/172, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Honeybaked Midget Major
John Albert, 5-8/155, Concord, Ohio, Cleveland Barons Midget Minor
James VanRiemsdyk, 6-2/165, Middletown, NJ, Christian Brothers Academy
Justin Vaive, 6-3½/178, Oakville, Ont., Toronto Marlies Midget Minor
Mike Cieslak, Penfield, NY, McQuiad Jesuit HS
Ryan Schnell, 6-3/211, Cary, Ill., Team Illinois Midget Major

DEFENSEMEN (7):
Cade Fairchild, 5-10/154, Duluth, Minn., Duluth East HS
Joey Lavin, 6-0/172, Shrewsbury, Mass., Boston Jr. Bruins Midget AAA
Kevin Shattenkirk, 5-11/178, New Rochelle, NY, Brunswick School
Ian Cole, 6-1/202, Ann Arbor, Mich., Victory Honda Midget Major
David Kolomatis, 5-10/165, Basking Ridge, NJ, New Jersey Rockets Jr. B
Colby Cohen, 6-2/176, Villanova, PA, Syracuse Stars (OPJHL)
Teddy Ruth, 6-0/173, Naperville, Ill., Chicago Mission Midget AAA

GOALIES (1):
Brad Phillips, 6-1/145, Farmington Hills, Mich., Honeybaked Midget AAA

More forwards and a goalie to be added after the Select festivals.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
From what I've heard Ruth and Phillips have not been offered yet.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
JJ24 said:
So far

FORWARDS (9):

Ryan Hayes, 5-8/161, Syracuse, NY, Syracuse Stars (OPJHL)
Brennan Vargas, 6-0/186, Coon Rapids, Minn., Coon Rapids HS
C.J. Severyn, 6-0/165, Beaver, PA, Pittsburgh Hornets Midget Minor
Matt Rust, 5-9½/172, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Honeybaked Midget Major
John Albert, 5-8/155, Concord, Ohio, Cleveland Barons Midget Minor
James VanRiemsdyk, 6-2/165, Middletown, NJ, Christian Brothers Academy
Justin Vaive, 6-3½/178, Oakville, Ont., Toronto Marlies Midget Minor
Mike Cieslak, Penfield, NY, McQuiad Jesuit HS
Ryan Schnell, 6-3/211, Cary, Ill., Team Illinois Midget Major

DEFENSEMEN (7):
Cade Fairchild, 5-10/154, Duluth, Minn., Duluth East HS
Joey Lavin, 6-0/172, Shrewsbury, Mass., Boston Jr. Bruins Midget AAA
Kevin Shattenkirk, 5-11/178, New Rochelle, NY, Brunswick School
Ian Cole, 6-1/202, Ann Arbor, Mich., Victory Honda Midget Major
David Kolomatis, 5-10/165, Basking Ridge, NJ, New Jersey Rockets Jr. B
Colby Cohen, 6-2/176, Villanova, PA, Syracuse Stars (OPJHL)
Teddy Ruth, 6-0/173, Naperville, Ill., Chicago Mission Midget AAA

GOALIES (1):
Brad Phillips, 6-1/145, Farmington Hills, Mich., Honeybaked Midget AAA

More forwards and a goalie to be added after the Select festivals.

Are these guys 1989 born players?

If so, anybody heard of Colin Haas or Barry Parker? Haas is a forward from Texas and Parker is a D-man from Arizona.

And why is Justin Vaive playing for the USA U17 program if he is from Canada? I know he probably has dual citizenship, but did he grow up in the states?

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
HabLover said:

If so, anybody heard of Colin Haas or Barry Parker? Haas is a forward from Texas and Parker is a D-man from Arizona.

And why is Justin Vaive playing for the USA U17 program if he is from Canada? I know he probably has dual citizenship, but did he grow up in the states?

Is Justin Vaive, Rick(Rich) Vaive's son?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
1989, Yes.

Vaive is the son of Rick Vaive, former NHL'r from Ontario. His dad was playing for a USA based team at the time he was born (either Chicago or Buffalo). I imagine he was raised in the US, while his Dad finished playing and then started his coaching career in the ECHL in SC. I believe his dad now coaches in Canada. Justin has played on US teams at festivals in the past. I would guess he has dual citizenship, but I do not know.

Is Chelios' oldest son a 1989 born? Is he good enough to be invited to the team - I don't remember seeing his name on the camp invitee list, so perhaps not?

Last edited:

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
sk84fun_dc said:
1989, Yes.

Vaive is the son of Rick Vaive, former NHL'r from Ontario. His dad was playing for a USA based team at the time he was born (either Chicago or Buffalo). I imagine he was raised in the US, while his Dad finished playing and then started his coaching career in the ECHL in SC. I believe his dad now coaches in Canada. Justin has played on US teams at festivals in the past. I would guess he has dual citizenship, but I do not know.

Is Chelios' oldest son a 1989 born? Is he good enough to be invited to the team - I don't remember seeing his name on the camp invitee list, so perhaps not?

I think Chris's oldest son Dean is an 89' but I don't think he's being considered for the U-17 team. He played for Cranbrook Prep School (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan) last season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
usa missed out on alot of the top players it seems; matt thurber, drayson bowman, dwight king, matt smyth, john morea, colin escott us?, matt sokol, nick petrecki, tristin llewellyn, where are some of these guys playing next year?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
orangeandblack said:
usa missed out on alot of the top players it seems; matt thurber, drayson bowman, dwight king, matt smyth, john morea, colin escott us?, matt sokol, nick petrecki, tristin llewellyn, where are some of these guys playing next year?

Either the USHL or CHL (like Smyth and Petrecki).

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
No Boston area players on USNTDP U17?

Is it a fluke or start of a trend that there are no Boston area players on the team? Any thoughts?

JJ24

Jul 1, 2002
Visit site
Joey Lavin is from Shrewsbury, MA. Two other Mass players who excelled at tryout camp, Jimmy Hayes and Derek Pallis, elected to return to Noble & Greenbough School. Hayes, just a sophomore, is 6-3, 200 and is a cousin of ex-BU star and St. Louis Blue Keith Tkachuk.

Sudz

Dec 26, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:

Justin Vaive was just at Sudbury's mini camp last weekend and apparently loved it. They played infront of a packed house for scrimmages and drills. There is a very good chance that he'll be reporting to Sudbury at the end of August. The final decision will be made within the next month.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
theyve been losing alot to major junior the past few years. i wonder if more would commit if they played in the ushl, or against major junior teams. electing to stay at prep school doesnt make sense to more as far advancing your hockey career. it seems like most of the guys that get the longest looks seem to be from ohl territory and minnesota.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
theyve been losing alot to major junior the past few years. i wonder if more would commit if they played in the ushl, or against major junior teams. electing to stay at prep school doesnt make sense to more as far advancing your hockey career. it seems like most of the guys that get the longest looks seem to be from ohl territory and minnesota.

Just speculating but it is rare for a top Minnesota kid to bother looking toward the major junior route. Maybe USA Hockey sees high end players from Minnesota as a better bet in the long run because they know the risk of losing them to major junior is pretty small.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
David Kolomatis. Wow. I remember when that kid came to Wall and played against my cousin in some random tourney game. Never thought he looked like anything special. Wasn't even the best player on his team (and this was last year). Must've improved a lot in order to get on the U17 team.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
orangeandblack said:

Are you talking about the Dwight King drafted by the Lethbridge Hurricanes in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft? If so, he already played for Canada at the U17 World Hockey Challenge this past winter and from all reports I've heard, he will play in the WHL this coming season.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
cagney said:
From what I've heard Ruth and Phillips have not been offered yet.

Does anyone know if Teddy Ruth has been named to the team?

Also does anyone know if A.J Sturges was considered, or is a possibility to make it?

Both were drafted by the Petes in the draft so I'm just curious.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Teddy Ruth (and Bradley Phillips) have both signed on to the U-17s.

AJ Sturges was not invited to the March NTDP Camp, so I would say he wasn't considered a top candidate, especially considering the depth of the 89 US defensive corps. And since they have already signed 7 blue liners, his chances of getting an invite are pretty remote.

Last edited:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Reveille! said:
David Kolomatis. Wow. I remember when that kid came to Wall and played against my cousin in some random tourney game. Never thought he looked like anything special. Wasn't even the best player on his team (and this was last year). Must've improved a lot in order to get on the U17 team.

you probably saw him when he was on the nj rockets 87 midget minor team as an 89, so no he wasnt the best. that team had alotta talent and was very deep, they should have went to nationals over jr flyers that year. last season he was definitely one of the rockets best defensemen playing in a very good junior league against kids much older then him. hes very poised and doesnt make any mistakes, always makes the smart play, its a shame hes not bigger. he'll surprise alot of people.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
John E. Ringo said:
Teddy Ruth (and Bradley Phillips) have both signed on to the U-17s.

AJ Sturges was not invited to the March NTDP Camp, so I would say he wasn't considered a top candidate, especially considering the depth of the 89 US defensive corps. And since they have already signed 7 blue liners, his chances of getting an invite are pretty remote.

Thanks, have you happened to see Sturges play? ISS had him ranked some 35 spots ahead of Ruth as a player. So I'm somewhat surprised I guess, but have nothing to base it on other then ISS ranking.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
orangeandblack said:
you probably saw him when he was on the nj rockets 87 midget minor team as an 89, so no he wasnt the best. that team had alotta talent and was very deep, they should have went to nationals over jr flyers that year. last season he was definitely one of the rockets best defensemen playing in a very good junior league against kids much older then him. hes very poised and doesnt make any mistakes, always makes the smart play, its a shame hes not bigger. he'll surprise alot of people.

That makes sense.

I still find it weird that he's even considered for this, though. Just didn't look good. Might've been just an off night. Seemed kinda like a punk, but then again the whole team was doing a ton of trash talking it seemed like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad