US NTDP 2016 - 2017 Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Went to the games Friday night and last night. Love the rink! Good hockey. Cockerill really stood out to me. I kept calling him jitterbug. Reedy was great. The Finnish goalie deserved a star last night after 50 shots!

I'm glad you enjoyed our little arena. We just got back into town last night, so unfortunately I missed the entire 5 Nations tourney this time. From what I've read, it looks like the U18 team did very well. Hopefully this is a sign that this squad is finally coming together. They are back in Plymouth this weekend for two games versus Madison. I have not seen them play in over a month (missed the Princeton game, too), so it will be interesting to see how they've progressed.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Few days late but been really busy with work and other things lately. But just watched the game between the Madison Capitals and the U.S. NTDP U-18's from Friday night at USA Hockey Arena. I'll be watching the game from Saturday tomorrow night when I'm off work. USA lost 3-2 in an exciting game. My first time seeing Madison this year and I remember hearing the name Mick Messner from two years back, he didn't do much in this game but a player that I liked watching that scored a goal is defensman Cole Hults who's a Lake Superior commit. He played a really good game and was the best d man on the ice for both teams. Easton Brodzinski was their best forward in this game and I have to think he's related to Johnny Brodzinski who like his younger brother played for St. Cloud and was a really good player for them.

Scott Reedy continued where he left off in the U18 five nations tournament and Evan Barratt had a really really nice assist on the play. I think Barratt has a really high ceiling and will be more noticed when he reaches the college level for Penn State. Like I've said before this U-18 group is a grind it out type team that really isn't anything special, but if they keep on playing like they did in last weeks tournament and how they played Friday night against a good Madison team they can keep improving and come tournament time will be one of the favorites. They take on the Michigan Wolverines this Thursday that could be an ugly game or could be entertaining. You'll never know with this group when it comes to playing the better college teams.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U18 team played well in both games last weekend. In Friday's game, they just couldn't put the puck in the net, which has been this squad's main struggle both this season and last year. They played a solid defensive game, though, and Adam Scheel played well in goal.

The U18's had a little more luck on the offensive end on Saturday night and still played well defensively, which was the difference in getting a 4-1 win instead of losing 4-2 as happened the previous night. St. Cyr was solid in net in the Saturday game. The crowd for the Saturday game was a little disappointing, with just 800+ announced attendance. The Friday night game was announced as almost 1,200, but it did not look much bigger than Saturday's game.

Both teams are on the road this weekend, so our next home game isn't until the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving. The U18 team is home for Wednesday and Saturday evening, plus Sunday afternoon on the holiday weekend. We only see the U17 team once more this calendar year -- 12/9 versus Muskegon.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Well apparently my post from earlier this week didn't go through. haha. I like the day before Thanksgiving game that is carried on from tradition. Just one further comment on last weekend against Madison. Seyfert who was added for a few games on this team plays with the North Jersey Avalanche U18 team has really stood out. The goal he scored Saturday night was awesome. Thought Hernandez and Barratt both looked more confident with the puck on their sticks. But Seyfert really impressed me the prior weekend, had no idea about that kid.

The U18's lost to Michigan 6-3 on Thursday (Empty Netter). Was my first look at Michigan this year and Will Lockwood was as advertised when we saw him on the NTDP the last two years. Fast and makes good plays with the puck, especially in the neutral zone. Luke Martin did well on D also and had solid breakouts all game. Quinn Hughes was great offensively but his D game really stood out. Him and Farrance's skating ability allows them to join the rush but recover well on the D side of the puck so they are rarely out of position. And Quinn's active stick and stride make up for his lack of size on the back end to angle opponents off. Max Gildon was invisible in this game, he was sloppy with the puck and it's disappointing to see him not materialize like some of us thought he would.

Brady Tkachuck has elevated his game in the past 6 or so. Scored a late goal against Michigan from an area where his brother was successful. Received a pass from Norris down low and he just jammed it in. Jake Tortora was imo the best forward for the U18's in the game Thursday. Great on the forecheck and he has a lot of speed as well as hands that makes him a dangerous player. Lacks size but will be interested to see how he does as a freshmen at Boston College next year.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know you guys are more USNDTP guys, but do you also follow college hockey closely?

I'm looking for an update on Woll and Greenway (D-man).

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yeah I follow the NCAA. Woll got lit up last night by a Harvard team that is one of the best offensive teams in the nation. BC gave up 7 power plays to Harvard and obviously goaltenders can't control something like that. I haven't gotten to see a BC game on tv yet but from what I've read he's played well so far. James Greenway was one of my favorite defensmen with the program the last two years. I'll never forget during the 2014 U16 Four Nations tournament how he planted Vitali Abramov into the boards after he tried a toe drag around him.

Like before I'm not sure exactly how his game has developed in the early going at Wisconsin. They are actually on tv tonight and have a slew of televised games upcoming so I'll check that out. He has 3 points in 9 games, but we can all be armchair scouts and look at stat lines that really tell us nothing. Especially when it comes to talking about defensemen.

Edit: By the way I know TSN or maybe another channel shows college hockey games throughout the year sometimes up in Canada right? It looks like Boston College vs North Dakota game on Dec. 3 will be televised up there. That'll be a hell of a game.http://collegehockeyinc.com/tv-schedule

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
NTDP U18's just got done playing Adrian College, a Div. 3 school that has a 5-1 record coming into tonight. Some of these Div.3 schools can beat the NTDP but the U.S. players were just to quick on the puck and was the better team throughout the game. Adam Scheel got the start in net but didn't see enough action to where he had to be stellar. I think Logan Cockerill had a hat trick, not entirely sure. But he was all over the place tonight and his speed really showed. His one goal was off a one timer that Gildon took that went wide off the boards and it was a puck on edge that he one timed perfectly into the top corner from the top of the circle. Like with many of this teams games every player provides a role and as a team they played well tonight. Barratt did a nice job getting the puck on the half wall and setting up Mismash in the slot for a one timer. Thought he had a good all around game. Again, he is a guy you have to watch when he's out there because he is starting to do the little things right.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U17 Team got a win in game two of the weekend series against Bloomington last weekend. Jake Wise had a nice, hard cross ice pass to Farabee for a one timer on Team USA's 1st goal on Saturday night. The U18's take on Muskegon tonight. Will be good to see Svechnikov play again. Busy upcoming weekend overall, I think the U17's are in Omaha and the 18's play St. Thomas (Won the Div.111 Nat'l championship last yer) and Wisconsin-Steven's Point.

Side not Team USA released the roster for the WJAC this week. Clayton Phillips (Fargo Force) will be imo the D man to watch. As for the forward group Isaac Johnson for Des Moines will be fun to watch as well. In the two games they played against the U17's earlier this year he really stood out with his hands and overall speed. Watch him. I also like Nick Swaney from the Waterloo Blackhawks. A Minn-Duluth commit that can pretty much do it all out there.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We'll be at tonight's game and the Sunday afternoon game vs. Wisconsin-Steven's Point, but will probably miss Saturday night's game due to family and the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That may have been the best game I've seen this U18 squad play in the 1.5 years they've been here. Lots of hustle, some nice passing, and finally being able to put the puck in the net. Maybe it's Muskegon, as they made the U17 team look incredible early in the season, too.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Happy Thanksgiving to you guys as well! Good to hear that the two teams are on an upward trend, especially the U18s.

Definitely will catch the WJAC games and the guys you listed NTDP, and it sounds like Mittelstadt will be playing in that tourney as well.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That was a really good game last night. Team certainly is playing to their strengths. Gildon had two solid goals, the first being a nice feed from Barratt. Have to remind yourself Svechnikov is an underage, he powered by Farrance on his way to the net on the assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kHPwSjd2Q - highlights to the game against Muskegon.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Happy Thanksgiving to you guys as well! Good to hear that the two teams are on an upward trend, especially the U18s.

Definitely will catch the WJAC games and the guys you listed NTDP, and it sounds like Mittelstadt will be playing in that tourney as well.

Yeah I hope he plays, he'd be the best guy on the team.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
U17's lost to the Omaha Lancers tonight. Wahlstrom had another amazing snipe tonight as he came down the wall and just before he got deep enough to where he wouldn't get a good shot off he ripped it into the top corner near side. Was a beauty of a shot. Still figuring these goalies out but I think Karki is the better of the two. Ullan got the start tonight but I think he'd be the backup if they didn't switch for every other game. Rest of the team was just blah tonight. Wilde had a really nice assist as he entered the zone and fired a cross ice pass to Farabee for Team USA's first goal. For Omaha Emelio Petterson is a really good young player. First noticed him playing for Team Norway at the Youth Olympics last Feb. Has a really quick release in tight and has the skating ability to blow past defenders. He's fun to watch.

I'll throw a little NTDP prospect update in here as well. There is a Midget U16 AAA team right by me called the Cleveland Barons. I've seen Sonny Milano and Blake Seibenaler come through there. While this year's team is okay it's the team they played today that has 2 possible NTDP candidates for next year. They played the Buffalo Jr. Sabres and a defensman named Case McCarthy was as advertised. He's a big kid that moves extremely well for his size. He's a step above everyone else out there and there were some other pretty good kids on his team. Some quick examples are he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and quickly split the D to get a shot on net in the slot. He also was impossible to beat 1 on 1. Even if he seemed out of position he could cover the ice quickly on an angle and strip the puck from a Baron's forward. They play again tomorrow morning and I'm going to take that one in as well.

Goals4u

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto
Ntdp u17

Correction:
U17s NTDP lost to Omaha Lancers. 6-3

First goal- Tyler Weiss
Second goal- 0liver Wahlstrum
Third goal- Trevor Janicke. -congrats first goal of season

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I see the U18's beat St. Thomas last night. We missed the game -- was actually going by the arena around 9pm as we returned to town from the holiday. Hopefully they will not be too gassed for this afternoon's game.

I'll throw a little NTDP prospect update in here as well. There is a Midget U16 AAA team right by me called the Cleveland Barons. I've seen Sonny Milano and Blake Seibenaler come through there. While this year's team is okay it's the team they played today that has 2 possible NTDP candidates for next year. They played the Buffalo Jr. Sabres and a defensman named Case McCarthy was as advertised. He's a big kid that moves extremely well for his size. He's a step above everyone else out there and there were some other pretty good kids on his team. Some quick examples are he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and quickly split the D to get a shot on net in the slot. He also was impossible to beat 1 on 1. Even if he seemed out of position he could cover the ice quickly on an angle and strip the puck from a Baron's forward. They play again tomorrow morning and I'm going to take that one in as well.

The Cleveland Barons -- now there's a name from the past! I remember the NHL franchise's short-lived existence (yes, I'm that old :) ) -- ending up merging with the Minnesota North Stars after just a couple of seasons.

Thanks for the heads up on some possible future NTDP players.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Heard good things about 01s Tag Bettuzzi and Arthur Kaliyev as well, potentials for the u17 team. Though it would pain me as a Canadian to see a Bertuzzi in a USA jersey.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Well, the U18's swept their 3 game home stand. Both they and Wisconsin-Stevens Point played a little ragged on Sunday afternoon, which may be attributed to both teams playing the night before (WSP played Adrian College). St. Cyr was a little too daring at times with his puck handling, but got away with 2 or 3 poor decisions without letting in a goal. The crowd was rather small -- only 500+ announced. I understand Saturday night's crowd was pretty small, too.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
U18's lost to the best team in the USHL last night in the Chicago Steel 4-1. What was up there with one of the most entertaining games of the year thus far. Pace was terrific, it was physical, and both teams generated a lot of chances. On Team USA's goal Scott Reedy made a great play in the neutral zone to slow the play up and get a nice pass over to Mismash, then threw it over to Reedy, then Barratt to Inamoto for the tap in. Was a terrific play all started by Scott Reedy. Quinn Hughes is an escape artist on the back end, almost no one can catch him to strip the puck from him, he's so shifty. They play Michigan State this afternoon. Chicago has a lot of good players that will have great careers moving forward. They really are a fun team to watch. You'll see McManus at the upcoming world junior A challenge in a few weeks.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U18 team played well for 40 minutes versus Chicago, but that third period was ugly. It started with a weak goal allowed by Scheel, and then a defensive breakdown which allowed a 3 on 1 immediately after, with Scheel letting in the goal through a five hole as big as the Grand Canyon. While the team moved the puck well in the first 40 minutes, they still exhibited their same old problem of not being able to finish plays, as they lack elite goal scorers.

It took awhile to get that only goal. With it being the annual Teddy Bear Toss event, we had to hang onto those bears for a long time before throwing them on the ice.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U18 team played well for 40 minutes versus Chicago, but that third period was ugly. It started with a weak goal allowed by Scheel, and then a defensive breakdown which allowed a 3 on 1 immediately after, with Scheel letting in the goal through a five hole as big as the Grand Canyon. While the team moved the puck well in the first 40 minutes, they still exhibited their same old problem of not being able to finish plays, as they lack elite goal scorers.

It took awhile to get that only goal. With it being the annual Teddy Bear Toss event, we had to hang onto those bears for a long time before throwing them on the ice.

That is true, they didn't look good for the 3rd period. Scheel has to play a bit better in net for them if they want to get the winning streak going.

trufflepiggy

Oct 13, 2015

I though the three shots that beat him in the third were all pretty good shots.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I see the U18's beat St. Thomas last night. We missed the game -- was actually going by the arena around 9pm as we returned to town from the holiday. Hopefully they will not be too gassed for this afternoon's game.

The Cleveland Barons -- now there's a name from the past! I remember the NHL franchise's short-lived existence (yes, I'm that old :) ) -- ending up merging with the Minnesota North Stars after just a couple of seasons.

Thanks for the heads up on some possible future NTDP players.

And thank you for the history lesson good sir!! Cleveland has also had an IHL/AHL franchise for decades. They were called the Barons in the mid 200's Think they were San Jose's farm team.

Dec 13, 2010
Well apparently my post from earlier this week didn't go through. haha. I like the day before Thanksgiving game that is carried on from tradition. Just one further comment on last weekend against Madison. Seyfert who was added for a few games on this team plays with the North Jersey Avalanche U18 team has really stood out. The goal he scored Saturday night was awesome. Thought Hernandez and Barratt both looked more confident with the puck on their sticks. But Seyfert really impressed me the prior weekend, had no idea about that kid.

Seyfert's a local kid for me, kind of a late bloomer/under the radar guy who could end up being a very nice player.

Curious from people who see more than me (most/all of you), how does Hernandez look lately? I saw him at some showcases before he went to the NTDP and was blown away by his skill but his hockey sense was a rough spot. Doesn't seem to be putting up points, isn't committed, has this just not been the right route for him?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Seyfert's a local kid for me, kind of a late bloomer/under the radar guy who could end up being a very nice player.

Curious from people who see more than me (most/all of you), how does Hernandez look lately? I saw him at some showcases before he went to the NTDP and was blown away by his skill but his hockey sense was a rough spot. Doesn't seem to be putting up points, isn't committed, has this just not been the right route for him?

I had the same thoughts on Hernandez as you. He played with the Florida Alliance U16 and put up a ton of points, even against good teams from the midwest. I think he's shown more confidence with the puck but it also could be more of an example of someone just not ending up being the type of player that he was possibly projected to be. Once the competition was upped significantly from midget he didn't stand out like some of us thought he may have. He's still a decent player, but certainly just a depth guy on this team. His draft rights are owned by the SSM Greyhounds in the OHL. I think he's the kind of guy where you take a hard judge on him towards the middle of next year, just to give him more time to keep maturing his game. By the time he's 19 if the conversation is still the same it's probably not going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->