US NTDP 2016 - 2017 Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Last year's thread didn't see much action, but I thought I would try this again. Hopefully there will be a little more participation this season.

The U17 team played a preseason game last night versus Muskegon of the USHL. This year's team looks to have a size advantage over last year's U17 team -- 14 of the players are 6 foot or taller, including 6'5" Adam Samuelson, 6'4" Keegan Karki, and half a dozen 6'3" or 6'2" players. The team includes Jack DeBoer (son of NHL head coach and former Plymouth Whalers head coach Peter DeBoer) and Jonathan Gruden (son of former USNTDP assistant coach, Flint Firebirds coach and current Hamilton Bulldogs coach John Gruden).

While the U17's lost to Muskegon 6-3, they actually looked quite good for just having begun to play together. Goaltender Keegan Karki made some nice saves and defenseman K'Andre Miller scored twice. There was a decent turnout for the game, which was free general admission seating.

The arena has a few improvements for this season -- most notably new glass, boards and benches. The new locker rooms are supposed to be quite nice (I wasn't able to attend the open house tour for season ticket holders last month, so I'm going by what one of the other STH told me). The sound system still needs some work, though.

The regular season home games open in two weeks, with the U17's playing on Friday September 23 and the U18's on Saturday September 24. Hopefully we will see some better crowds this season.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
This coming weekend I believe they will be playing the Johnstown Tomahawks of the NAHL at the Robert Morris Univ. rink in Pittsburgh, PA. Free admission.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Going to follow along more closely this year, even though my username states I should watch nothing but these guys. Real excited for this years U17 group with Jake Wise and co. The U18 group is not as star studded as in 14 and 15. Be interesting to see them play the college teams. I'll start watching on Fasthockey in a week when they start.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Going to follow along more closely this year, even though my username states I should watch nothing but these guys. Real excited for this years U17 group with Jake Wise and co. The U18 group is not as star studded as in 14 and 15. Be interesting to see them play the college teams. I'll start watching on Fasthockey in a week when they start.

Excited for the season to start

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Excited for the season to start

Oh absolutely, only two days away. I'll go off the board and say Randy Hernandez is going to have a good year. I like his story too, coming out of Miami and actually staying there and playing his Midget AAA hockey in the area. Just shows if you love the game it doesn't matter where you come from, the drive has to be there though.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I picked up our season tickets today. Along with some trinkets was a nice USA Hockey scarf - - last season we received a NTDP hat. The organization is treating the STHers very well.

The U18 team was practicing when I picked up the tickets. I only watched a few minutes, but it got me looking even more forward to the season beginning. Only two more days.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That was an impressive opening night for the U17 squad last night, as they dominated Muskegon on the scoreboard and won easily 7-2. The team's overall skating and puck handling were impressive, and the defense played well -- especially in the first period when most of the play was in their end, yet Muskegon was unable to generate many quality chances.

There was some confusion regarding the goaltending situation last night. The game program listed Keegan Karki as #33, while he really was wearing #35 and started in goal (and played well). For some reason Dylan St. Cyr from last season's U17 team dressed as the backup. It will be interesting to see if he plays tonight for the U18 team as well.

I think the U17 team is going to be fun to watch this season. Last season's U17 squad was over matched almost every night, but this year's team has held its own in both games I have seen so far. Of course, both games were against Muskegon, so we will learn more when they play Youngstown next weekend. Muskegon's starting goalie was pretty shaky last night, and the game may have been closer if the relief tender had played the entire game (he made some nice saves in the 3rd period).

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That was an impressive opening night for the U17 squad last night, as they dominated Muskegon on the scoreboard and won easily 7-2. The team's overall skating and puck handling were impressive, and the defense played well -- especially in the first period when most of the play was in their end, yet Muskegon was unable to generate many quality chances.

There was some confusion regarding the goaltending situation last night. The game program listed Keegan Karki as #33, while he really was wearing #35 and started in goal (and played well). For some reason Dylan St. Cyr from last season's U17 team dressed as the backup. It will be interesting to see if he plays tonight for the U18 team as well.

I think the U17 team is going to be fun to watch this season. Last season's U17 squad was over matched almost every night, but this year's team has held its own in both games I have seen so far. Of course, both games were against Muskegon, so we will learn more when they play Youngstown next weekend. Muskegon's starting goalie was pretty shaky last night, and the game may have been closer if the relief tender had played the entire game (he made some nice saves in the 3rd period).

Watched online this morning and that was a dominating performance considering it's the U17's. I first saw the majority of this group at the Youth Olympics for the 2000 born in Feb. You figured a lot of that group would be picked to represent the program, and damn they didn't disappoint last night. This whole D core looks very very good. Transitionally and defensively. Miller's pass to spring Giles on that goal was beautiful, Whalstrom's snipe was amazing as well.

I think St.Cyr dressed because maybe the U.S. backup goalie for the U17's was injured? The only reason I can think, I don't really know. But that group came out as advertised. This could be one of the better groups to come through the program in a while, but I won't get to high off of one game. :laugh:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Watched online this morning and that was a dominating performance considering it's the U17's. I first saw the majority of this group at the Youth Olympics for the 2000 born in Feb. You figured a lot of that group would be picked to represent the program, and damn they didn't disappoint last night. This whole D core looks very very good. Transitionally and defensively. Miller's pass to spring Giles on that goal was beautiful, Whalstrom's snipe was amazing as well.

I think St.Cyr dressed because maybe the U.S. backup goalie for the U17's was injured? The only reason I can think, I don't really know. But that group came out as advertised. This could be one of the better groups to come through the program in a while, but I won't get to high off of one game. :laugh:

Yes, the defense moved the puck well -- that pass from Miller to Giles was terrific! And I think you are correct regarding St. Cyr's reason for dressing as the backup -- we speculated the same thing during the game. St. Cyr ended up starting in goal last night for the U18's home opener.

Speaking of the U18, while they did win the game, the team still struggles offensively -- three of the scores were garbage goals off weird bounces. This squad really lacks the high end offensive talent that last year's U18 team had, and that this year's U17 appears to have, as well. St. Cyr did look more comfortable in net than last season, so he must have put in a lot of work over the summer.

There was a familiar name on the Youngstown team -- defenseman Alec Mahalak. We had some Youngstown fans in front of us, and one of them told us that Alec is the cousin of former Plymouth Whalers RJ and Matt Mahalak. We suspected he was from the same family, as his hometown was listed as Monroe, Michigan -- the same city where RJ and Matt grew up.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yeah this U18 group is more of a regular team than an all star squad with a top 6 that dominates offensively. Still going to win their far share of games against USHL teams though. The real test for this group will come with a stretch of 5 or so college games in a row starting next weekend with Notre Dame. Then playing teams like BU, Minny, Harvard (without Vesey) and Minn Duluth. Those goals were garbage but it's good they can grind and score that way. On both those goals Gildon made two nice simple plays to get it to the net. He looked improved from last year. What did you think of his game last night?

St.Cyr is a really good goalie, he'll be one of our netminders in the WJC next year, he also plays the puck phenomenally. Funny you brought up Mahalak, Krupsky on the broadcast last night brought up that very point. I didn't know there was any relation. This Youngstown team is my favorite team in the USHL being that I go to some games occasionally (only an hour n a half from me). It was a treat to see Kyle Connor there two years ago. They are there twice again next weekend and that should be a great game between them and the U17's next week.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I do not remember much of Gildon's play last night, so either he didn't stand out in my mind or I just got bored and wasn't paying as much attention ;) -- it wasn't a very exciting game. I'll have to pay more attention to him the next time the U18's are home, which appears to be quite awhile by glancing at the schedule. I did notice David Farrance had a couple of nice rushes from the defensive spot, though.

It will be interesting to see how this U18 squad handles the NCAA teams. Last year's U18 team played very well against the better college programs and dominated the smaller schools. It will be a good measuring stick. Too bad the biggest program coming to Plymouth this season is Princeton, and we have other plans that night and will be missing that game. The Notre Dame game was a lot of fun last season.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think in time you'll see bigger programs coming to USA Hockey Arena to play the NTDP as far as college teams go. College hockey is pretty respectable in the fact that the bigger schools go to smaller schools to play and there isn't a huge ego like in football. I think one of the reasons Notre Dame came to plymouth to play was the head coach Jeff Jackson was one of the founding fathers of the NTDP. But usually with college teams they play away at the school, then next year they come here. So maybe some of these teams the NTDP usually goes to (Minny, Michigan, BU) they will come to USA Hockey Arena to play us.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Yes, the Notre Dame game was definitely due to Jackson being the Irish coach. With the amount of recruiting that both BU and Michigan do with NTDP prospects, hopefully that will result in the occasional game with those programs here in Plymouth. I would think Michigan would be an easy sell, since Ann Arbor is so close to Plymouth -- it would be the Wolverines' shortest road trip.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just wanted to continue the midweek conversation with games coming up in a few days. The U17's take on Youngstown Fri and Sat, while the U-18's take on Muskegon and then the first college game of the year against a good Notre Dame team that is ranked no.9 in the country.

I'm pumped to watch the U-17's again which will have a tough test against the Phantoms that will be eager to get revenge in that building after losing the the 18's last Saturday. The U-18's college game against Notre Dame will be interesting to follow as it being a measuring stick heading into another tough game (one would argue tougher) against BU on Thursday.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We'll only be at the Friday game, as we are going to the Michigan - Wisconsin football game on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing the U17's against another opponent.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Real sloppy game from the U17's tonight. Youngstown played really well though, that's a good team. No one was good on offense for Team USA. Only two players that I thought played a good game were K'Andre Miller and Mattias Samuelson. I think Miller is going to be a really good defenseman. Has good size, uses his body, and plays a real solid 1 on 1 defensive game. Makes really good passes too, although everyone was out of sync tonight. But every year good USHL teams do that early in the year to the U17 group.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Real sloppy game from the U17's tonight. Youngstown played really well though, that's a good team. No one was good on offense for Team USA. Only two players that I thought played a good game were K'Andre Miller and Mattias Samuelson. I think Miller is going to be a really good defenseman. Has good size, uses his body, and plays a real solid 1 on 1 defensive game. Makes really good passes too, although everyone was out of sync tonight. But every year good USHL teams do that early in the year to the U17 group.

Thanks for the game-by-game updates. Looking forward to reading more from you guys :)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Yes, it was a disappointing effort last night. The team did look out of sync compared with the two home games they played against Muskegon (including the preseason game). The team had lots of power play chances, but just couldn't generate any offense. It was a small crowd -- announced attendance was over 700, but it did not look like that many people were there.

The players who have impressed me most so far are (like NTDP) K'Andre Miller, as well as goaltender Keegan Karki -- I like his technique and positioning. Ryan Ullan did dress as the backup tender last night, but he didn't see any action.

Also, for anyone who likes craft beer, the bar behind the press box now carries three different types of Magic Hat on draft. It's a nice change from just having Labatt's on draft.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Youngstown @ U17's - Team USA played really well throughout the first despite being scored on. They were much better defensively and had some cohesion through the neutral zone unlike last night. Then the wheels came off. Ullan didn't play his best game but Youngstown was first to the puck a lot and swarmed in the O zone. Especially in the 2nd period. But you just see the strength of some of the older players, and how fast they are. These U17 kids have all been the best players on their teams growing up and aren't used to getting blown out like this. Just shows you how good the USHL is now. One kid I really like on Youngstown is Max Ellis. A 16 yo that has speed and good puck skills, he showed off his shot tonight as well. He could be a candidate for the WJC in two years.

U18's @ Muskegon Lumberjacks - The jacks played a really really good game last night. They looked like a completely diff. team. Was a really exciting game played with a lot of pace, pretty physical too. Svechnikov also played a good game. You forget he's 16 out there, he made some nice plays happen. Dylan St. Cyr kept it close a lot. He played a real solid game in net and his puck handling is outstanding. I've said this before but I think he should be the frontrunner for the WJC goalie position 2 years from now. Evan Barratt stood out to me for the 18's last night. Had some good looks with some passes on the PP and 5 on 5 in the offensive zone. He plays a good game on the D side as well. Hard to break down his game, just have to watch him on the screen closely and you'll see he does the little things you like in a potential power forward.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for the summary of the U17 game. All I saw was the score while we were tailgating after the Michigan football game, and I shuddered when I saw the 7-1 deficit. It should be some good "growing pain" experience for the youngsters. Hopefully we see some closer games next weekend.

I was surprised to see the U18 team lose to Muskegon, as the Lumberjacks have not looked good during their visits to Plymouth so far.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yeah I'd be surprised also about Muskegon but as you know, that's the USHL for ya. They played really well and with a lot of speed.

Just finished watching the U-18's vs. Notre Dame live. It's now very apparent this is a weaker offensive team than we saw the past 3 straight years. Notre Dame won 5-1 but it's not the fact they lost because they did face the 9th ranked team in the country. It's not like they lost to Stevens-Point 5-1. But they just looked sloppy and took to many penalties, could also be because they just played less than 24 hours ago. Cam Morrison is an impressive freshmen for Notre Dame who played for the Phantoms last year. Adam Scheel didn't look so hot today, he was banged up on a crash play to the net late in the 3rd so we'll see if it lags or not. Team USA's power play didn't look good at all tonight. Didn't move the puck around quick enough and didn't get shots to the net. Lots of sloppy passing too, but credit some of that to Notre Dame and their experience and skill level. Going to be an even tougher test against BU on Thursday night. The stream will be free i guess so I recommend anyone that comes across this to check that one out. Just go to BU's mens hockey page and you'll see where you can watch it on Thursday in the schedule.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Just finished watching the U-18's vs. Notre Dame live. It's now very apparent this is a weaker offensive team than we saw the past 3 straight years.

I have come to that conclusion, as well. This may be the first NTDP squad in awhile to fail to have a player taken in the first round of the NHL draft. I thought maybe Barratt or Tkachuk would develop into such a player, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe one of the defensemen with NHL measurables with show enough promise this season to entice a team to use a late first round pick on him.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I have come to that conclusion, as well. This may be the first NTDP squad in awhile to fail to have a player taken in the first round of the NHL draft. I thought maybe Barratt or Tkachuk would develop into such a player, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe one of the defensemen with NHL measurables with show enough promise this season to entice a team to use a late first round pick on him.

That person could be Quinn Hughes, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad