Confirmed with Link: Upshall Signs 1 Year

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
At first I didn't care too much for the signing, but, with how the preseason has looked with penalties, having the Brodziak/Upshall PK pairing back seems like a plus to me.

I also remembered Rutherford tweeting something about Upshall helping Fabbri through his rehab. So, if Upshall can be helpful to the PK and Fabbri's mental rehab, then it'll be well worth the contract.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would rather Thompson and Kostin go to the AHL and get lots of playing time. Why rush them? How will either of them really benefit from playing on the 4th line? I don't really get the idea that Upshall is taking away a youngsters roster spot. Upshall will likely see a lot of the press box, and he is really only providing competition for Megan and Jaskin. I don't see that as a big deal. If one of them are better, Upshall sits. We're talking about the 4th line here. I think Blais makes the team and plays in the top 9 regardless. If anything, Upshall could be used on the PK only, or something. I just don't think it's a bad idea to sign Scotty Upshall.I think he's still useful.

I agree no matter what i wanted TT and KK to go down to the AHL. Outside of Tage's shot, and Kostin's strength neither are NHL ready, i don't want a PRV or Yak situation where we bring them up too early and screw up their progression.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
At first I didn't care too much for the signing, but, with how the preseason has looked with penalties, having the Brodziak/Upshall PK pairing back seems like a plus to me.

I also remembered Rutherford tweeting something about Upshall helping Fabbri through his rehab. So, if Upshall can be helpful to the PK and Fabbri's mental rehab, then it'll be well worth the contract.
if fabbri needs upshall to get him thru rehab when he makes alot of money which should motivate him enough, that is very sad and a joke.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
if fabbri needs upshall to get him thru rehab when he makes alot of money which should motivate him enough, that is very sad and a joke.

I don't think it's that Fabbri "needs" Upshall to get thru his rehab.
He's a Pro Athlete and has been training his body for years without any real help. He knows how to train and motivate himself perfectly fine.

That said, Fabbri and Upshall are very close friends off the ice, and Upshall does have a bit of experience in recovering from knee injuries.
With situations like Fabbri's, moral support does help( the phrase "career ending" has to be going through Robbie's mind and that is a LOT for somebody his age to deal with). Especially coming from the people you're closest to.
Upshall isn't needed for Fabbri's recovery, but having him around probably does help and that falls into the "every little bit" category in my books.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I really don't understand why anyone is bothered by this. If you are, then your issue is with coaching rather than Upshall.

We need to sign someone and adding Upshall is ideal when he knows the team and coaching staff. Do we need a better player? Yes, but to get that we are going to have to give up a good prospect. Why do that at this stage? We don't have the space long term for that better player.

We're better signing a stop-gap, seeing how things play out in the first month and re-evaluating the situation then.

The idea that money should motivate him enough is the bigger joke. It is the kind of mentality that helped foster a problem with depression for many athletes with long term injuries. Then all the offshoots of depression, like alcohol issues, gambling or diet issues.

Fabbri doesn't need Upshall, but he does need a strong support network.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

This post is a joke.

“Money should motivate him enough.”Ridiculous.

22 year old kid that just went through a grueling rehab now has to do it all over again. Rehab is a lonely, frustrating and long process and he’s now starting over.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I really don't understand why anyone is bothered by this. If you are, then your issue is with coaching rather than Upshall.

We need to sign someone and adding Upshall is ideal when he knows the team and coaching staff. Do we need a better player? Yes, but to get that we are going to have to give up a good prospect. Why do that at this stage? We don't have the space long term for that better player.

We're better signing a stop-gap, seeing how things play out in the first month and re-evaluating the situation then.

Upshall is not a stop-gap, because he does not fit the gap we have in any way. We lost scoring and an offensive driver. We already had a lack of those things. Of our top 6, Tarasenko is really the only one who drives the play. Schwartz can do a lot, but he is very often too passive and doesn't really create opportunities by himself on a consistent basis. Stastny is a great playmaker, but needs space. Steen is a solid- 2-way player but not a wizard carrying the puck. Schenn is definitely a complimentary piece, and does better with someone who can drive the play so he can clean up rebounds and the like. None of them turn a regularly play into a dangerous chance by themselves often. Fabbri could use his skating to make defenders miss, creating odd-man chances and offensive opportunities. Nobody else has that besides Tarasenko (who uses his strong skating to cut into high danger areas and his dangerous shot to turn a tiny window into a scoring chance). Upshall does not provide what we lost in Fabbri.

Still, if he is just an extra body because the youngsters weren't ready, that's fine. My concern is that to Armstrong, he is the solution. DA had a good off-season. He recognized some mistakes in the past, and worked to rectify them. He turned a 4th liner into a promising young potential top-6 talent. That is so not the old Army. So I was heartened. But signing Thorburn shows he's not totally ready to leave his rugged veteran days behind. And so does signing Upshall. When he needed to fill a gap, he immediately turned to a familiar bottom 6 player on the downside of his career, whose game will not age well. There was an opportunity to grab a less proven guy who could potential fill some of what we lost off Waivers, in Agostino. Agostino created plays when he was with us for those couple games. He had an amazing season in the AHL. He could be a stop gap as a 2nd/3rd line tweener. He's not a guarantee though. Instead of grabbing a riskier player who could potentially help fill the gap we need, Armstrong went with a choice where he knows what we will get, its just not what we need.

So the move itself is inconsequential (almost literally, it won't be good or bad, it just is). However, I am worried that Armstrong will pass up better opportunities while waiting to see how things unfold. Now is a time where a few cheap moves could be made as there are a few RFAs still holding out (either get the RFA or help the team clear cap) and players are being waived. In a time when teams expect those guys to clear straight through, we could have our pick of them. And if we did make a trade, who cares how they would fit long term. We could always trade a player down the road to get a pick/prospect back. But we have to start planning as if Fabbri might not be back. I am hoping he will, be there is always a chance he won't. There is also a chance that Stastny might not re-sign. So there is a chance we will definitely need someone for our top 6 next year with no guarantees the kids will be ready.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I liked Upshall during the RS last year...the playoffs were a bit confusing and disappointing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Upshall is not a stop-gap, because he does not fit the gap we have in any way. We lost scoring and an offensive driver. We already had a lack of those things. Of our top 6, Tarasenko is really the only one who drives the play. Schwartz can do a lot, but he is very often too passive and doesn't really create opportunities by himself on a consistent basis. Stastny is a great playmaker, but needs space. Steen is a solid- 2-way player but not a wizard carrying the puck. Schenn is definitely a complimentary piece, and does better with someone who can drive the play so he can clean up rebounds and the like. None of them turn a regularly play into a dangerous chance by themselves often. Fabbri could use his skating to make defenders miss, creating odd-man chances and offensive opportunities. Nobody else has that besides Tarasenko (who uses his strong skating to cut into high danger areas and his dangerous shot to turn a tiny window into a scoring chance). Upshall does not provide what we lost in Fabbri.

Still, if he is just an extra body because the youngsters weren't ready, that's fine. My concern is that to Armstrong, he is the solution. DA had a good off-season. He recognized some mistakes in the past, and worked to rectify them. He turned a 4th liner into a promising young potential top-6 talent. That is so not the old Army. So I was heartened. But signing Thorburn shows he's not totally ready to leave his rugged veteran days behind. And so does signing Upshall. When he needed to fill a gap, he immediately turned to a familiar bottom 6 player on the downside of his career, whose game will not age well. There was an opportunity to grab a less proven guy who could potential fill some of what we lost off Waivers, in Agostino. Agostino created plays when he was with us for those couple games. He had an amazing season in the AHL. He could be a stop gap as a 2nd/3rd line tweener. He's not a guarantee though. Instead of grabbing a riskier player who could potentially help fill the gap we need, Armstrong went with a choice where he knows what we will get, its just not what we need.

So the move itself is inconsequential (almost literally, it won't be good or bad, it just is). However, I am worried that Armstrong will pass up better opportunities while waiting to see how things unfold. Now is a time where a few cheap moves could be made as there are a few RFAs still holding out (either get the RFA or help the team clear cap) and players are being waived. In a time when teams expect those guys to clear straight through, we could have our pick of them. And if we did make a trade, who cares how they would fit long term. We could always trade a player down the road to get a pick/prospect back. But we have to start planning as if Fabbri might not be back. I am hoping he will, be there is always a chance he won't. There is also a chance that Stastny might not re-sign. So there is a chance we will definitely need someone for our top 6 next year with no guarantees the kids will be ready.

Upshall wouldn't have been signed if Berglund was healthy, it's questionable whether he would be getting signed if Sanford was healthy. The only thing link between the Fabbri injury and the Upshall signing is purely a numbers issue.

I do agree that I would have taken Agostino off waivers, but we might simply prefer pushing Pääjärvi into the top-9 and signing Upshall provides that ability. The other aspect is what you allude to, players are still being waived and we might prefer to keep our position because we have our eye on someone.

I appreciate that we are going to have spots open next season and we can't rely on young players to step up, but there are other issues. We already have $57.775m committed to 13 players, so that leaves only $17.225m to extend Fabbri & Edmundson, extend/replace Stastny and fill 7 other spots. Not too difficult, but adding someone like Nyquist at $4.7m would make things more problematic. We already have Berglund and Sobotka as third liners, and Steen is probably there with a healthy lineup, so we need to be careful.

Ultimately your first paragraph is completely right, we need to add another player that can drive the play... but now isn't the time to do that. Teams have largely solidified their rosters over the summer, and looking for an impact player isn't realistic at this stage. Not without paying a significant premium, and if Armstrong makes the call then he is already accepting that.

Now is the time to dumpster dive. If things start badly, other teams will be in a similar position and then we might be able to make a trade a month in.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014

The idea that money should motivate him enough is the bigger joke. It is the kind of mentality that helped foster a problem with depression for many athletes with long term injuries. Then all the offshoots of depression, like alcohol issues, gambling or diet issues.

Fabbri doesn't need Upshall, but he does need a strong support network.
and he has that without the need of signing upshall.

you really think he has no other "friends" on the team? isnt he BFF with edmundson? this signing was stupid and the posts trying to justify it by saying it is to help fabbri rehab take the cake.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
and he has that without the need of signing upshall.

you really think he has no other "friends" on the team? isnt he BFF with edmundson? this signing was stupid and the posts trying to justify it by saying it is to help fabbri rehab take the cake.
Okay, but it still isn't as dumb as saying that money is the thing that will motivate him get better...

No one here said the reason we signed Upshall was to help Fabbri. Let me say that again, no one said the reason we signed Upshall was to help Fabbri.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
how is that dumb?

if fabbri doesnt get his body together, guess what, he wont be making NHL dollars much longer. that would motivate me plenty to get my body into 100% condition with or without my "buddy" there to help me.

use some common sense people. this signing was not need and stupid and the justification for it by some here is that as well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
how is that dumb?

if fabbri doesnt get his body together, guess what, he wont be making NHL dollars much longer. that would motivate me plenty to get my body into 100% condition with or without my "buddy" there to help me.

use some common sense people. this signing was not need and stupid and the justification for it by some here is that as well.
"NeedED". So you think Upshall's signing was stupid and unnecessary. Many here agree with you. You go on to state that those who disagree with you, and attempt to"justify" Upshall's signing are likewise "not need and stupid". Well that's awesome. :) Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful contribution to the discussion. :)

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
how is that dumb?

Oh I don't know, maybe other things like, regaining complete function in his leg to better take care of himself or making sure he can just live life outside of a recovery bed. Congrats if money is what works for you, but not everyone has a one track mind. Like I said, it's dumb to suggest it like it's all that matters in life. It's even dumber to act like what works for you will work for Fabbri.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Oh I don't know, maybe other things like, regaining complete function in his leg to better take care of himself or making sure he can just live life outside of a recovery bed. Congrats if money is what works for you, but not everyone has a one track mind. Like I said, it's dumb to suggest it like it's all that matters in life. It's even dumber to act like what works for you will work for Fabbri.
k well with that mentality why dont they all just play for free then?

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
And with your mentality, why do live a healthy life unless money is involved?
why do live? you mean people?

im not seeing what you are getting at regardless. people made a very lame defense of this signing and i am pointing out the flaws in that theory.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What I remember about Upshall is taking penalties on the penalty kill. Leaving us two men short.

I can't tell you how many time, but that's what sticks in my mind.

Maybe its a penalty killer's mindset - thinking that the referee wouldn't dare call a penalty now, leaving us two men short, and getting booed by the home-town fans.

That's what I like about Paajarvi on the penalty kill. He has the speed to force the opponents to hurry their play, but he doesn't take many penalties.

Reactions: TheDizee

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
What I remember about Upshall is taking penalties on the penalty kill. Leaving us two men short.

I can't tell you how many time, but that's what sticks in my mind.

Maybe its a penalty killer's mindset - thinking that the referee wouldn't dare call a penalty now, leaving us two men short, and getting booed by the home-town fans.

That's what I like about Paajarvi on the penalty kill. He has the speed to force the opponents to hurry their play, but he doesn't take many penalties.
I remember that happening with Upshall as well. The crackdown on slashing isn't going to work in Upshall's favor either. Hopefully he can limit the amount of dumb penalties he takes.

Reactions: TheDizee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad