Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Clean Out Day

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Both sound promising, now for Simon and ZAR so the 4th doesn't have to be cancer.

Unfortunately, I think we can bank on no Simon for a while. Week to week, and he got hurt like, 4 days ago.

Couple weeks now for ZAR if I can recall correctly. Hoping for him to be back with at least a week or two in the regular season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Unfortunately, I think we can bank on no Simon for a while. Week to week, and he got hurt like, 4 days ago.

Couple weeks now for ZAR if I can recall correctly. Hoping for him to be back with at least a week or two in the regular season.

As long as Rowney is gone we’ll be good.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It’s pretty much our D men who do the bulk of the shot blocking anyway. You don’t play a bad player just to block shots.

Rowney has 24 blocks in 44 games BTW (career 39 blocks in 71 games).

Lol, I expected more but I guess it makes sense since you see him being late to block shots fairly often. He’s not exactly amazing at it. I’d rather just have players who will decrease the need to block shots and do things other than that, too.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Still.want him for playoffs. Rather him out there blocking shots than our good players

I'd rather actually play our good players though. Rowney can play if they get hurt..sitting the better players because you're scared they might get hurt....makes no sense.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It’s pretty much our D men who do the bulk of the shot blocking anyway. You don’t play a bad player just to block shots.

Rowney has 24 blocks in 44 games BTW (career 39 blocks in 71 games).

Just saying hes not bad for a depth player, and is better suited for playoff style hockey. 20 games for us in the playoffs last year. He had his moments.

If we go on another long run we are gonna need to use everyone..not only will there be injuries, but giving a player (bottom 6, and sheary) a game or two off to keep fresh legs out there.

Reactions: ncm7772

WDYT

Jul 23, 2017
There are worse things than plugging a Rowney or Kuhnhackl type into the playoffs at some point. There's value in having a guy who will put his body on the line for you. As others have stated, Rowney played most of the games in last year's run and made a legitimate contribution. It's not going to be the end of the world if he gets called on again at some point.

I do think this injury probably definitively takes him out of the top 12 mix when healthy. Depending on what is needed when somebody goes down, Simon, Rowney, and Jooris are the top F depth.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just saying hes not bad for a depth player, and is better suited for playoff style hockey. 20 games for us in the playoffs last year. He had his moments.

If we go on another long run we are gonna need to use everyone..not only will there be injuries, but giving a player (bottom 6, and sheary) a game or two off to keep fresh legs out there.

Torts is that you ;)

We have better depth forwards than Rowney that have those attributes. Kuhnhackl, ZAR and I put Jooris before him until he proves otherwise too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There are worse things than plugging a Rowney or Kuhnhackl type into the playoffs at some point. There's value in having a guy who will put his body on the line for you. As others have stated, Rowney played most of the games in last year's run and made a legitimate contribution. It's not going to be the end of the world if he gets called on again at some point.

I do think this injury probably definitively takes him out of the top 12 mix when healthy. Depending on what is needed when somebody goes down, Simon, Rowney, and Jooris are the top F depth.

Disagree. I don't think you need a guy like Rowney as depth when you acquire a guy like Jooris at the deadline to fill that role (ie. 13th forward who can slot in fine on the 4th line at either C or wing, can PK, and isn't devoid of skill), and guys like Simon and Sprong capable of filling roles on the wing if you need more skill.

All Carter Rowney is doing while he's on the roster is giving Sullivan a pet to play with, and keeping better players from getting those opportunities.

Reactions: Human

WDYT

Jul 23, 2017
Depth is depth. What happens if several penalty killers get hurt (say, blocking shots). It'd be nice to have a guy that's proven capable of killing penalties in the NHL.

Some pet Rowney is. He was starting to get scratched when the team was more healthy. The only forwards who have played on the team this year who have averaged less TOI/gm are Reaves and Dea. What evidence is there that Sullivan favors him? When he's played, it's because he can fill specific roles (fourth line center before the big trade, and in general on the PK) that other guys on the bubble do not.

I agree it's very possibly Jooris ends up passing him on the depth chart. But you still like to have depth.

Reactions: ncm7772

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Good to hear about both Murray and ZAR.

Never wish injury on anyone, and I feel for the guy, but I agree with those of you who view Rowney's injury as possibly good for the team. Hope it's nothing too serious, but yeah, it's not like that's gonna hurt the team.

Hope to have him in the press box for playoffs, though. Depth is depth, and Sullivan I feel will continue to scratch Rowney if he has other healthy forwards, as he did before Simon was hurt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Way I see Rowney and Jooris is like this -

Jooris is probably better.

But stashing him in WBS and only using him on emergency loans while he learns the system is at worst no biggie and at best kinda smart because he gets more minutes to learn it in. And it also allows you to keep Rowney, who is capable of being a useful play-off plug, even if he hasn't shown it in a bit.

Hopefully, come the end of roster restrictions, Jooris is up for good and above Rowney in the depth chart. Even if he isn't, it's not a huge deal as long as Rowney is 14th forward.

But... an injury that allows us to accelerate Jooris proving he's better than Rowney? That is useful to the team indeed. I hope Rowney is available for the play-offs if needed, but for now its very useful.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad