Updated Calder Race (4th of November)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bonzai said:
What I find even more impressive than his point totals so far are his shot totals. With limited ice time (10 minutes a game, to be generous), he's tallied 15 shots in 6 games. Rookies usually struggle to get good shots total, but he's proving he has a nose for the net and a knack for creating scoring chances despite his rookie status and his smallish stature.

I think he had 10 shots in one game a week ago, could be wrong.

-HIFK-

Originally Posted by Karamazov
I'm not taking anything away from Pitkanen or how well he's played thus far but if he gets 40 pts as a rookie I will gag and keel over. It is completely unheard of for a rookie to get that many points in his first year. AS the season progresses and teams target him a little more expect him to cool off somewhat. Don't get me wrong, this kid is amazing - but 40 pts is a very unreasonable expectation.

Janne Niinimaa had 44 points as a rookie, playing for the Flyers in 1997. He wore the same number as Pitkänen on his jersey, #44, by the way.

I think Pitkänen will score 41 points this season.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Add yet another goal for King tonight.

'Course, no one is even considering him for RoY on this thread. Typical eastern bias I'd venture, they just don't see us play at all.

MoS*

6 goals and 2 assists for King. i think he has a bid for the RoY

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm more partial to the playmakers winning this award rather than the goal scorers. If King hits a dry spell and the goals stop coming, he could very well end up with only 30 points at the end of the year.

With players like Staal, Pitkanen, and to a lesser extent, Semin, they can still go through goal scoring slumps and put points on the board. Staal could very easily end up with 40-50 points this season if he keeps playing like he has been right now.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I'm more partial to the playmakers winning this award rather than the goal scorers. If King hits a dry spell and the goals stop coming, he could very well end up with only 30 points at the end of the year.

With players like Staal, Pitkanen, and to a lesser extent, Semin, they can still go through goal scoring slumps and put points on the board. Staal could very easily end up with 40-50 points this season if he keeps playing like he has been right now.

True, but King will also play a bigger role than most of those players. He plays on the 2nd line and the 2nd PP unit on the highest scoring team in the league. He has a long way to go to win it, but I think he deserves a look outside of Pitkanen and Fleury.

Mayhem

Feb 27, 2002
PerfectStorm Country
Visit site
Well here I go again...

...maybe he's not as flashy and doesn't have the hype surrounding him but to me Patrice Bergeron deserves as much consideration as any name on the list for the Calder at this point in the year. Despite the fact that he is leading all rookies in points and is second in +/- he is still being overlooked and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PecaFan said:
Add yet another goal for King tonight.

'Course, no one is even considering him for RoY on this thread. Typical eastern bias I'd venture, they just don't see us play at all.
pfffff
Bergeron is leading the rookies in points while being the youngest.
Fleury is doing what no other goalie has done : dominate at 18 on a crappy team.
Pitkanen has more points than King AS A D-MAN.

Yes of course nobody considers King a candidate so far.
Those three are MUCH more impressive so far. That could change but as of right now, it's a no brainer these three are a notch above King.

MoS*

Evilo said:
pfffff
Bergeron is leading the rookies in points while being the youngest.
Fleury is doing what no other goalie has done : dominate at 18 on a crappy team.
Pitkanen has more points than King AS A D-MAN.

Yes of course nobody considers King a candidate so far.
Those three are MUCH more impressive so far. That could change but as of right now, it's a no brainer these three are a notch above King.

Mayhem said:
...maybe he's not as flashy and doesn't have the hype surrounding him but to me Patrice Bergeron deserves as much consideration as any name on the list for the Calder at this point in the year. Despite the fact that he is leading all rookies in points and is second in +/- he is still being overlooked and I cannot for the life of me understand why.

King
= 1st in rookie points with 8 points (tied)
= 1st in rookie goals with 6 (uncontended)
= 1st in powerplay scoring

but i do agree that fleury will win it all

st_roland

Bonzai said:
What I find even more impressive than his point totals so far are his shot totals. With limited ice time (10 minutes a game, to be generous), he's tallied 15 shots in 6 games. Rookies usually struggle to get good shots total, but he's proving he has a nose for the net and a knack for creating scoring chances despite his rookie status and his smallish stature.

Yeah, I feel really lucky to watch Semin play and develop.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Bonzai said:

It's worth noting that 10 of the 15 came in a single game (which is impressive), outside of that, he is averaging only a shot per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad