Updated Calder Race (27th of November)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
All players have played 10 games or more. All statistics are of the morning of November 27th.

Top Goal Scorers

Jason King, VAN: 11
Trent Hunter, NYI: 8
M.Lombardi, CGY: 6
P. Bergeron, BOS: 5
Brent McLean, CHI: 5
Ryan Malone, PHI: 5

Top Point Getters

Jason King, VAN: 15
P. Bergeron, BOS: 13
Eric Staal, CAR: 12
Brett McLean, CHI: 12
M. Lombardi, CGY: 11
Trent Hunter, NYI: 11
Michael Ryder, MON: 10
Joni Pitkanen, PHI: 10

Top +/-

Joni Pitkanen, PHI : +10
P. Bergeron, BOS: +6
M. Lombardi, CGY: +5
Niko Dimitrakos, SJ: +5
Jaret Stoll, EDM: +5
Matthew Stajan, TOR: +5
C. Backman, STL: +5

Top Average Time on Ice (ATOI)

Dan Hamhuis, NSH: 20:31
Brooks Orpik, PIT: 18:43
Brett McLean, CHI: 18:04
Tom Preissing, SJ: 17:54
M. Bergeron, EDM: 17:45

Top Goaltenders (GAA & Save %)

A. Raycroft, BOS: 1.90 - .932
M. Fleury, PIT: 3.01 - .916

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Mizral said:

McLean kinda sticks out there, being the only non-defenseman....

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
I still have to go with Pitkanen as the winner as of right now. King has played well all season, but I'll give the nod to the d-man any day of the week. It's a tougher position to play and he's doing it extremely well night in and night out. AND, he's managed to throw 10 points up on the board already too...

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Hyped said:
I still have to go with Pitkanen as the winner as of right now. King has played well all season, but I'll give the nod to the d-man any day of the week. It's a tougher position to play and he's doing it extremely well night in and night out. AND, he's managed to throw 10 points up on the board already too...

In the same boat as you. Pits is gonna steal it barring injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name on a small number of votes for the norris.

King will most likely get the runner up unless he actually scores what he's on pace for currently.

Pitkanen has been nothing but awesome every time I've seen him this year. In a few years I think that he'll prove to everybody that he was the best defenseman in his draft year. What a steal for Clarke...

I think at this point there's too many games to play. However, if King scores on the pace he's on, he'll have around 70 points with 40 goals. If he does that he will win the Calder. Look at the history of recent Calder races.

2002 - Barret Jackman (D) wins, highest point total by a rookie is Henrik Zetterberg's 22-22-44

2001 - Dany Heatley (F) wins, with 26-41-67

2000 - Evgeny Nabokov (G) wins, highest point total by a rookie is Brad Richard's 21-41-62

1999 - Scott Gomez wins, with 19-51-70

1998 - Chris Drury wins, with 20-24-44 over Milan Hejduk's 14-34-48

1997 - Sergei Samsonov wins, with 22-25-47, notably over Mattias Ohlund who posted 7-23-30

Jason King has 11-4-15 in 22 games
projected over 82 games that's 41-15-56

Joni Pitkanen has 2-8-10 in 20 games
projected over 82 games that's 8-33-41

Note that no rookie has scored more than 26 goals in the last 7 seasons, King's 41 goals would blow that away.

That fact combined with the obvious bent towards selecting forwards, leads me to believe that the award is King's to lose, despite the fact that Pitkanen is certainly deserving of praise (as were Ohlund and Staurt in their rookie seasons).

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
In case you guys were wondering, I'm not doing this to advertise King ;)

But I do think that to say Pitkanen is a shoe in right now, is incorrect.

Right now, I would pick neither Pitkanen nor King, but Andrew Raycroft. His stats right now are better than almost every starting goaltender in the NHL right now. While I really don't think he'll keep it up (I am a MASSIVE Raycroft fan, but he's not that good), I think he could very well still win the award.

Currently it's a 'three horse' race: King, Raycroft, and Pitkanen, and at the moment, I would say Raycroft is the leader, with King & Pikanen about equal.

I think the only reason I'd put King equal to Pitkanen is the goals. If King had, say, 6 goals and 9 assists, PItkanen in a walk. But 11 goals in 24 games for a rookie is sensational. King had another point tonight (an assist), and he had two scoring chances. He is showing no signs of slowing down. I will go on record and say that King will probobly have to score 25 or more goals to win the Calder. Anyone agree?

And can King do it? I think he can, but it'll be real tough. He'll have to go on a couple more goal a game runs for a few games.

If King can put up 20 goals by the All-Star break, I say he can do it, and he could very easily win the Calder.. but only if Pitkanen doesn't go ape **** or Raycroft doesn't keep up the pace.

Pitkanen is looking like a steal, but look at where Raycroft and King were drafted? Wow.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
BrooklynCanuck said:
However, if King scores on the pace he's on, he'll have around 70 points with 40 goals.

You sounded like a habs fan there for a second ;)

Teemu08 said:
You sounded like a habs fan there for a second ;)

BUT! Note that my post was prefaced by saying that it's way too early to tell how the season will work out. I think King's season will wind up being very good, how many points he gets I can't say, but I do think his ratio of goals to assists will probably level out.

Do I think King is a better player than Pitkanen? Prolly not. I certainly don't think King will end up being a better player than Pitkanen in the end. However, he does have a 40 goal season brewing. I made a logical argument based on voting history, and based on the offensive prejudice shown by the voters, I'd say IF he continues he'll probably win it. Especially if the Canucks are successful this year.

Also, update: King had an assist tonight against Ottawa.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mizral said:
All players have played 10 games or more. All statistics are of the morning of November 27th.

Top Goal Scorers

Jason King, VAN: 11
Trent Hunter, NYI: 8
M.Lombardi, CGY: 6
P. Bergeron, BOS: 5
Brent McLean, CHI: 5
Ryan Malone, PHI: 5

Top Point Getters

Jason King, VAN: 15
P. Bergeron, BOS: 13
Eric Staal, CAR: 12
Brett McLean, CHI: 12
M. Lombardi, CGY: 11
Trent Hunter, NYI: 11
Michael Ryder, MON: 10
Joni Pitkanen, PHI: 10

Top +/-

Joni Pitkanen, PHI : +10
P. Bergeron, BOS: +6
M. Lombardi, CGY: +5
Niko Dimitrakos, SJ: +5
Jaret Stoll, EDM: +5
Matthew Stajan, TOR: +5
C. Backman, STL: +5

Top Goaltenders (GAA & Save %)

A. Raycroft, BOS: 1.90 - .932
M. Fleury, PIT: 3.01 - .916
Ryan Malone is PIT's, not PHI's. No need to steal one of our good spot... ;)
Fleury could have a hot streak and get back in the race any time.

Last edited:

Doc_M

I love Pitkanen, I have him in my keeper pool, but for now the edge is to Raycroft and King. There numbers are amazing. But I don't think they will continue on the current pace ( 932 save% for Raycroft, 41 goals for King !!! ) so Pitkanen has a very good chance.

I also think Staal having a chance although after 1/4 season, it's a 3-horse race.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquidrage*

BrooklynCanuck said:
I think at this point there's too many games to play. However, if King scores on the pace he's on, he'll have around 70 points with 40 goals. If he does that he will win the Calder. Look at the history of recent Calder races.

If King scores 41 goals (obviously a big if) he HAS to get the award.

Pitkanen's play is phenominal to say the least, but 40+ goals? Come on. I'm the biggest Pitkanen homer on the board and wouldn't trade him for Jbo + a 1st. But if King keeps it up no way does he not get it.

Pitkanen's great play hasn't always showed up in the scoreboard and therefore can't compete with a 40+ goal scorer.
Despite getting some points, Pitkanen's main focus on this team still has to be defense. It the Hitch-way. Out of all the time he's been on the ice this year there have been exactly 2 even strength goals scored against the Flyers. Neither were scored by a guy he was guarding or should have been guarding.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I still think it will come down to Pitkanen, Staal, and Raycroft.

Pittsburgh is just too bad for Fleury to flurish.

Pitkanen has been very steady and is getting better and better. Staal is streaky but could heat up again (especially if there is an injury to Francis or Brind'Amour).

In the end I think King will be there and in a weaker crop of rookies he might win, but this is a great crop. This is how I predict it to end up:

1. D Joni Pitkanen
2. G Andrew Raycroft
3. C Eric Staal

Pitkanen and Raycroft have the advantage because they play big roles on good teams and would have decent numbers by default (see Jackman).

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have to agree with Reign. This talk about 40 goals with King is ridiculous. Hell, I would be beyond extatic if he his 25 or 30. I'm not sure if he will even do that.

Staal on the other hand is so much of a better offensive player than King. Staal does it all himself, whereas King just puts his stick on the ice and shoots the puck after the Twins get it to him. Not saying King stinks, but he's just not nearly on the level Staal is. And over a full season, Eric will end up with, if not better numbers, very close.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Reign Nateo said:
I still think it will come down to Pitkanen, Staal, and Raycroft.

Pittsburgh is just too bad for Fleury to flurish.

Pitkanen has been very steady and is getting better and better. Staal is streaky but could heat up again (especially if there is an injury to Francis or Brind'Amour).

In the end I think King will be there and in a weaker crop of rookies he might win, but this is a great crop. This is how I predict it to end up:

1. D Joni Pitkanen
2. G Andrew Raycroft
3. C Eric Staal

Pitkanen and Raycroft have the advantage because they play big roles on good teams and would have decent numbers by default (see Jackman).

this is how I see it going down too with it being very close between Raycroft and Pitkanen.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
So far it seems like Pitkanen as been pretty much alone in this race.. I know King as been doing well.. but Pitkanen is 20 and as been great all-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->