Updated Calder Race (16th of November)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
All players have played 10 games or more. All statistics are of the morning of November 16th.

Top Goal Scorers *New*

Jason King, VAN: 10
M.Lombardi, CGY: 6
Trent Hunter, NYI: 6
P. Bergeron, BOS: 5
Brent McLean, CHI: 4
Eric Staal, CAR: 4

Top Point Getters

Jason King, VAN: 12
P. Bergeron, BOS: 11
Eric Staal, CAR: 11
Brett McLean, CHI: 10
M. Lombardi, CGY: 10
K. Koltsov, PIT: 9
Joni Pitkanen, PHI: 9
Trent Hunter, NYI: 8
Ryan Malone, PIT: 7
Joffrey Lupul, ANH: 7

Top +/-

Joni Pitkanen, PHI : +9
P. Bergeron, BOS: +6
M. Lombardi, CGY: +5
Trent Hunter, NYI: +5
M. Bergeron, EDM: +5
M. Stajan, TOR: +5

Top Average Time on Ice (ATOI)

Dan Hamhuis, NSH: 20:28
Brett McLean, CHI: 18:42
Brooks Orpik, PIT: 18:38
Steve Eminger, WAS: 18:11
M. Bergeron, EDM: 17:59

Top Goaltenders (GAA & Save %) *NEW*

A. Raycroft, BOS: 1.78 - .938
M. Fleury, PIT: 2.91 - .920

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Joni Pitkanen looks very good and I feel will win the Calder. I think it will come down to Pitkanen, Fleury, and Staal in the end, with Pitkanen's consistant year solidifying it for him. Looks to be an interesting race.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Sorry about Lombardi, dunno how I missed him!

There really aren't many goaltenders vying for the Calder.

I'd say right now, the guys with the best chance of winning the Calder are:

- Joni Pitkanen
- Jason King
- Matthew Lombardi

Patrice Bergeron, Andrew Raycroft, and Eric Staal are *right* there. I feel Lombardi has to get the nod over those two forwards, since he's 2 games back of 'em in terms of games played, and he has more goals than both. But really, it's extremely close however you cut it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Staal will start pulling away soon. He did nothing in the first 7 games and he still has 11 pts.

I expect 50 from him. Also since King is 2-4 years older than Pitkanen, Bergeron, Fleury and Staal. I cant see him winning it unless he outscores them by a wide margin.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Staal will start pulling away soon. He did nothing in the first 7 games and he still has 11 pts.

I expect 50 from him. Also since King is 2-4 years older than Pitkanen, Bergeron, Fleury and Staal. I cant see him winning it unless he outscores them by a wide margin.

Since when should age effect Calder voting? There is no disclaimer in the award that says: "The award shall be given to the top first-year player in the NHL, *with respect to age*". It is just the best rookie, period.

I agree that King probably won't win-but not because of his age.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Waveburner said:
Since when should age effect Calder voting? There is no disclaimer in the award that says: "The award shall be given to the top first-year player in the NHL, *with respect to age*". It is just the best rookie, period.

I agree that King probably won't win-but not because of his age.
It shouldnt, but you are naive to think age doesnt play a role in it.

Perhaps not a huge role, but say Staal and King are close in terms of winning it, they will usually go for the younger guy.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
It shouldnt, but you are naive to think age doesnt play a role in it.

Perhaps not a huge role, but say Staal and King are close in terms of winning it, they will usually go for the younger guy.

Age plays a reason, but to say that one young player who is 20 and is better now, will be better than a 22 year old rookie later on down the line. Why? Because different players follow different career paths. Alexander Daigle was better than Todd Bertuzzi early on, and a higher draft pick, but look how things turned out?

Not saying King will be better than Staal, but in regards to Calder Trophy winners, and even progress of young guys, being younger is not always an advantage.

If you look at the past Calder winners, very few are 18/19 years old. Most are 20 or so. Check out the last 5 winners:

Sasmonov - 20 years of age
Drury - 23
Gomez - 20
Nabokov - 24
Heatley - 21

Mizral said:
Age plays a reason, but to say that one young player who is 20 and is better now, will be better than a 22 year old rookie later on down the line. Why? Because different players follow different career paths. Alexander Daigle was better than Todd Bertuzzi early on, and a higher draft pick, but look how things turned out?

Not saying King will be better than Staal, but in regards to Calder Trophy winners, and even progress of young guys, being younger is not always an advantage.

If you look at the past Calder winners, very few are 18/19 years old. Most are 20 or so. Check out the last 5 winners:

Sasmonov - 20 years of age
Drury - 23
Gomez - 20
Nabokov - 24
Heatley - 21

Samsonov was actually 19 when he won it. But, I think being younger will give you an advantage. For example, most of the media were picking Kovalchuk over Heatley in their rookie seasons for the Calder before Kovalchuk got injured. Their point totals were similar, but I think people were swayed by the fact that Kovalchuk was 2 years younger.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
MHJS said:
Zidlicky isnt eligible

He is age wise

From NHL.com

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.

Are the Czech league and HIFK considered major professional leagues? Both Bure and Makarov won it after playing multiple seasons in the CSKA which was a "professional" league.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Legionnaire said:
Are the Czech league and HIFK considered major professional leagues? Both Bure and Makarov won it after playing multiple seasons in the CSKA which was a "professional" league.

The NHL and its American peers like the NBA, MLB and NFL consider themselves to be the major leagues, with all the other leagues in the world (ie AHL, ECHL, CHL etc., but also SEL, DEL, Extraliga, SM-liiga and RSL) being minor leagues.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Doomsday Device said:
No, he is isn't. His birthday is Feb 2, 1977 so he turned 26 before September 15.

It's a bit ambigious. It says older than 26 years . Now does that mean one day older, or one year older?

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
He is age wise

From NHL.com

I dunno if they consider major Euro league as major pro, but I know that they change the rule after Makarov (34 or somthing) and Belfore (28) won this award...

A 30 years old guy competing for the ROOKIE od the year dosnet sound serious....

BJ21

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The RSL, SEL, Czech Extraleague, and HIFK are all considered pro leagues. Players that play there too long lose their eligability to win the Calder I think.

But anyhow, Zidlicky isn't eligable, I'm 100% sure.

Makarov was the last player to win the Calder under the 'old rules'. After Makarov, they changed the eligability rules.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
macho232 said:
Zidlicky has 14 points. That beats Kings 12 for the lead.

zidlicky just missed the cutoff...

to qualify for the calder you have to be under 26 on sept 15th of your rookie year...zidlicky turned 26 in feb. so if he made the jump last year then he would have qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad