UPDATE 12/15 - Ottawa owner talks moving Senators: ‘If it becomes a disaster, yes’

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Melnyk claims he in in for the long haul

Exclusive: Senators owner Melnyk ‘not selling the team — period’

There’s no “For sale” sign on the Ottawa Senators.

Team owner Eugene Melnyk told Postmedia in an email on Wednesday night he wanted to set the record straight about reports his team had been sold, rumours captain Erik Karlsson is being traded and to respond to comments by former Ottawa centre Kyle Turris.
“I am NOT selling the team — period,” said Melnyk in the email. “My kids (had) first call on the franchise long ago.”

Melnyk, 58, said the source of the talk he’s selling may be the result of a routine refinancing of the team’s debt he’s working on right now.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

Ottawa owner talks moving Senators: ‘If it becomes a disaster, yes’ - Sportsnet.ca

“I’m not sure downtown is necessary,” Melnyk said. “All those Kanata people, are they going to come downtown? Are you just moving an arena closer to [civil service] people who can’t get tickets?

“We have options for us, that’s the main thing. A lot of options,” he said, adding, “I don’t bluff.”

A number of North American cities, including Seattle, Houston and Quebec City, are interested in acquiring an NHL franchise.

Would Melnyk, who now resides in the Barbados, actually consider moving the Senators?

“If it becomes a disaster, yes. If you start not seeing crowds showing up, yes,” he said. “But, for now, we are on the cusp of doing OK.”

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Worst owner in the NHL and it's not really even close.

He's going to move the team.. to where? All the potential cities already have ownership groups attached to the stadiums.

Time for Ottawa fans to make him not enjoy owning an NHL team anymore.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
He cant afford to stay in the LeBreton redevelopment and is running out of money to run the team-here or anywhere else.
A lot of the empty seats in Ottawa are because he is so disliked here.

There are people who want to buy the team but he claims he won't sell because its not easy to buy an NHL franchise and because he is having so much fun!

I wonder what Gary thinks of him coughing up this hairball just before the 100 th anniversary game and on this special weekend for Ottawa hockey.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Melnyk just throws more gasoline into the fire. With Bettman in town the big queston is did he get the go ahead to do so from the NHL?

Senators’ Melnyk throws up ‘caution’ flag on LeBreton Flats deal

The Ottawa Senators owner indicated on Friday night he’s not completely convinced a deal between the National Capital Commission and RendezVous LeBreton group is going to get completed with negotiations continuing between the two parties to get something in place so a deal can be announced in January.

“I’m not sure downtown is necessarily (the only option) … the league and others seem to think that,” Melnyk said. “A lot of people question whether we need to be downtown. Because until the law changes, where you can’t give tickets to civil servants, that is a disaster for us. Everybody quietly took that.

“Now we see the effects of that. What are you doing? We’re moving from the suburbs, where it’s built its own little base. Don’t forget: Are all those Kanata people going to come downtown? You’re just moving the arena closer to people who can’t get tickets.”

- Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun

Last edited:

Max1981

Dec 11, 2017
Senators’ Melnyk throws up ‘caution’ flag on LeBreton Flats deal

The Ottawa Senators owner indicated on Friday night he’s not completely convinced a deal between the National Capital Commission and RendezVous LeBreton group is going to get completed with negotiations continuing between the two parties to get something in place so a deal can be announced in January.

“I’m not sure downtown is necessarily (the only option) … the league and others seem to think that,” Melnyk said. “A lot of people question whether we need to be downtown. Because until the law changes, where you can’t give tickets to civil servants, that is a disaster for us. Everybody quietly took that.

“Now we see the effects of that. What are you doing? We’re moving from the suburbs, where it’s built its own little base. Don’t forget: Are all those Kanata people going to come downtown? You’re just moving the arena closer to people who can’t get tickets.”

What the hell is he talking about? Can anybody translate?

Reactions: Killion

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

He seems to be saying Canada needs to change the law to allow civil servants to accept hockey tickets.

One thing seems obvious - If the Sens don't pull out of this losing streak and tickets are hard to sell in the second half of the season all bets are off.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Sure, translation; he's taking shots at the ethics practices instituted by the Federal Government that its agencies & various departments are not permitted to lease suites or buy seasons tickets. Many if not most of these agencies are located downtown or in Ottawa proper, miles from Kanata, so Eugene there pointing this policy out yet again which understandably he'd like to see lifted, otherwise, whats the point of moving downtown? "They cant buy tickets"....

Is it disingenuous on his part? On certain levels, yes. Kanata is just a lousy inconvenient location period & they gotta move, he knows it. Matter of fan convenience, access, especially weeknight games. On the other hand, not being able to tap into the various Federal Departments, leasing them suites & selling them ST's, in a market the size of Ottawa, that really puts the club at a disadvantage. There just isnt a tonne of corporate heft there & you need that to survive. Tickets are not cheap. Companies however, they can write a portion of them off (or at least could until recently, I think the laws were changed on that a couple of yrs back) & or use them for entertaining, employee perks & so on.

But the Federal Govt doesnt permit its agencies to do so so maybe the team should leave Ottawa altogether huh? Thats essentially what Eugene Melnyks saying here. Change the law, drop the ethics concerns or else. Eugenespeak..... Guys a real trip n' a half. o_O

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
He's a bonafide idiot. Making threats when you're already poorly thought of by the fanbase is just going to alienate the fanbase even more and lower the price of the franchise when he eventually sells it.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Not going to suggest that the Sens are not moveable, but where could they move and Melnyk retains control?

He would be a renter in either Quebec City, Houston or Seattle. Even with low attendance, he owns the building in Ottawa and gets full suite, naming right, parking etc.....

The only way to move is to sell which a) he says he won't do and b) there are reports that there are buyers that will keep the team in place and likely take over the LeBreton plans. Hence Mr. Melnyk says 'he' is cautious about that plan.

He sure needs a good PR person as the timing of this couldn't be any worse.

I beleive this will all.work out for Sens fans but I think LeBreton will be dealyed until he sells.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not going to suggest that the Sens are not moveable, but where could they move and Melnyk retains control?

He would be a renter in either Quebec City, Houston or Seattle. Even with low attendance, he owns the building in Ottawa and gets full suite, naming right, parking etc.....

The only way to move is to sell which a) he says he won't do and b) there are reports that there are buyers that will keep the team in place and likely take over the LeBreton plans. Hence Mr. Melnyk says 'he' is cautious about that plan.

He sure needs a good PR person as the timing of this couldn't be any worse.

I beleive this will all.work out for Sens fans but I think LeBreton will be dealyed until he sells.

He would get very favorable rent in Quebec is he delivered a team.

Melnyk: Senators ‘could look good somewhere else’ - Article - TSN

OTTAWA — With hundreds of fans braving -20 C wind chills to kick off what should have been a marquee weekend for the NHL in the nation’s capital, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said Friday night he would consider moving the franchise.
“If it doesn’t look good here, it could look good somewhere else,” Melnyk said. “But I’m not suggesting that right now. That’s always the possibility with any franchise.

“If you open a grocery store and nobody comes, but one opens two blocks down and there’s a line outside, where are you going to have your store?”

The scene on Parliament Hill, with snow falling, was a perfect one for politicking – with the outspoken Melnyk perking up eyebrows of hungry hockey fans in Quebec City and bigwigs in Ottawa as the Senators search for a new downtown arena.
But Melnyk swore he wasn’t posturing.

“I don’t bluff,” Melnyk said. “I won’t sell it. It just won’t happen. Imagine if you own a McDonalds franchise, but you can move it. Why would you sell it? It’s something that’s very difficult to buy. We’re doing OK here. We’re not doing great.”
Melnyk said “the market here has to prove itself” or changes will be made.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
He would get very favorable rent in Quebec is he delivered a team.

Melnyk: Senators ‘could look good somewhere else’ - Article - TSN

OTTAWA — With hundreds of fans braving -20 C wind chills to kick off what should have been a marquee weekend for the NHL in the nation’s capital, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said Friday night he would consider moving the franchise.
“If it doesn’t look good here, it could look good somewhere else,” Melnyk said. “But I’m not suggesting that right now. That’s always the possibility with any franchise.

“If you open a grocery store and nobody comes, but one opens two blocks down and there’s a line outside, where are you going to have your store?”

The scene on Parliament Hill, with snow falling, was a perfect one for politicking – with the outspoken Melnyk perking up eyebrows of hungry hockey fans in Quebec City and bigwigs in Ottawa as the Senators search for a new downtown arena.
But Melnyk swore he wasn’t posturing.

“I don’t bluff,” Melnyk said. “I won’t sell it. It just won’t happen. Imagine if you own a McDonalds franchise, but you can move it. Why would you sell it? It’s something that’s very difficult to buy. We’re doing OK here. We’re not doing great.”
Melnyk said “the market here has to prove itself” or changes will be made.

The arena in Quebec is already run by Quebecor. It would only make sense if they were to buy a majority stake in the Sens.

Quebecor would not to give up the building revenues for a 3rd party. Melnyk would not make more money being a tennant just to sell 3000 more tickets per game max and most of them would be the lower priced upper bowl.

Would be better off selling to them but if there are local buyers then does it make sense?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
this guy won the LeBreton bid where the main point of the redevelopment is a new downtown arena and now he's saying it's not a sure thing... okay.

The guy has to be the worst owner in the league. At this rate, he could move the team elsewhere and within three years he'd be in the same position. He's so unlikable that I wouldn't be surprised if people just don't want to support his franchises anymore. If he sold the Sens, I think they'd be okay within 2-3 years.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Terrible timing, but a lot of what he said isn't wrong, unfortunately.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
this guy won the LeBreton bid where the main point of the redevelopment is a new downtown arena and now he's saying it's not a sure thing... okay.

The guy has to be the worst owner in the league. At this rate, he could move the team elsewhere and within three years he'd be in the same position. He's so unlikable that I wouldn't be surprised if people just don't want to support his franchises anymore. If he sold the Sens, I think they'd be okay within 2-3 years.

Rumors are he's broke and can't afford the new arena after winning the bid. That's why rumors are swirling. That's also probably why he's saying it's not a sure thing.

Not sure if the NCC can revoke the bid because of this.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
The Senators are not going anywhere because things would have to be pretty bad for Melnyk to move the team & the Senators are still making money besides he just saying this to get that new arena that he wants in downtown Ottawa but if push comes to shove & he dose move the team he should move it to Hamilton considering Ottawa was not supposed to get that expansion team in the early 90's Hamilton was until Jacobs , Knox & Leafs conspired to give the team to Ottawa who did not even have an arena at the time .

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Terrible timing, but a lot of what he said isn't wrong, unfortunately.
And the idiot just made it worse. If people weren't as stoked to go to games earlier, how do you think they feel now?

This thing goes both ways. "Please spend your hard-earned dollars while I won't spend to keep this team competitive" doesn't exactly make me excited to go to games.

He's a terrible businessman.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad