UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
All this talk is so delusional...Belmont is a waste land pure and simple...it is the Gilligans island of long island....if the isles could not draw in Brooklyn with all the tourists/hipsters and millions of city folk how are you going to draw in Belmont? and how are you going to fill 320 calendar days of dates? Concerts? really...you already have concerts 8 miles east in the NVMC...this arena will never get built not gonna happen in a million years.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
All this talk is so delusional...Belmont is a waste land pure and simple...it is the Gilligans island of long island....if the isles could not draw in Brooklyn with all the tourists/hipsters and millions of city folk how are you going to draw in Belmont? and how are you going to fill 320 calendar days of dates? Concerts? really...you already have concerts 8 miles east in the NVMC...this arena will never get built not gonna happen in a million years.

ask oak view group who books MSG, im sure booking concerts and other shows will be quite easy there. if an act will want to play MSG they'll have to play this arena too similar to how barclays and nassau works now.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

I can definitely see it getting built, but I am in agreement that the attendance is going to be similar or worse than what they have been getting in Brooklyn and they were getting in Nassau

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I can definitely see it getting built, but I am in agreement that the attendance is going to be similar or worse than what they have been getting in Brooklyn and they were getting in Nassau

Which doesn't actually matter to the financial health of the Islanders hockey franchise.

At NVMC, the team got zero arena dollars from playing hockey games, outside of 85% of ticket sales.
At Barclays, the team gets zero arena dollars from playing hockey games, outside of the first $53.5 million generated. (In their first year, the Islanders generated an extra $8 million Barclay's got to keep).

If the Islanders owners build a brand new HOCKEY arena for the Islanders, that they own and operate, they get every single dime. And it's not just that $8 million, because all the suites were leased by Barclay's. And they'd get the money from every event in there the OTHER 320 days of the year.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
and the magic question is...who is going to pay to build this arena? taxpayers are going to say no and that is where this crazy idea will end.

Reactions: Llama19

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
and the magic question is...who is going to pay to build this arena? taxpayers are going to say no and that is where this crazy idea will end.
uh, did the entire state vote on replacing Nassau, tailgunner, or was it just the 2 (Nassau/Suffolk) that rejected the Islanders?

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
uh, did the entire state vote on replacing Nassau, tailgunner, or was it just the 2 (Nassau/Suffolk) that rejected the Islanders?
Just Nassau voted in that referendum.

Even if it passed, they wouldn’t have built it. Nassau County is broke. The state put a separate agency in place to handle their finances.

KevFu

May 22, 2009

Although most the specifics of the proposed arena are still being held private out of respect for the bidding process, Ledecky made it clear that the building itself was going to be privately funded.

Reactions: Thrive

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
and that is where this crazy idea will end...to build in NYC/Nassau it would cost at least 800-900 million, and that is where this will die

KevFu

May 22, 2009
and that is where this crazy idea will end...to build in NYC/Nassau it would cost at least 800-900 million, and that is where this will die

Because arena management isn't lucrative?

For the umpteeth time this thread... Many people here said "New York doesn't NEED another arena! They have MSG, The Rock, NVMC!" when Ratner was trying to build Barclays. Barclays joined MSG in the top four in the United States for sales/profits.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Do you know how much of a nightmare it is getting on and off LI? Imagine a business that relies completely on shipping, choosing an Island in a high tax state. Long Island is the last place Amazon will choose to put their HQ.

Oh trust me, I lived on LI for a year and a half. I used to joke that was god punishing me for making fun of LI for years. Although, most of their shipping is handled my fulfillment centers around the country its not like they would be shipping out of their HQ2 facility. That being said I don't think anywhere in the NYC area has a shot.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh trust me, I lived on LI for a year and a half. I used to joke that was god punishing me for making fun of LI for years. Although, most of their shipping is handled my fulfillment centers around the country its not like they would be shipping out of their HQ2 facility. That being said I don't think anywhere in the NYC area has a shot.
For reasons other than traffic congestion.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
For reasons other than traffic congestion.

Right. Amazon has said they plan to spend $5 billion for 8 million square feet and that doesn't happen in the NY area. They are also planning $100K per job on average and while the NY area has more college educated people to choose from than any other place $100K doesn't go very far there.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Why you mad tho?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
So their were three bidders

Islanders have No Plan B
NYCFC have been seeking alternative sites throughout the process.
Blumfield... just pulled out due to the perceived "favoritism" of the process.

Basically, everyone is under the belief that "NYI was always going to win," which is why they've had no Plan B, and NYCFC has never stopped shopping for potential sites. And Blumfield's basically confirming it's rigged for the Islanders.

Which is.... Just great if you're an Islanders fan. Holy crap. I might actually see this in my lifetime.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

Do tell us how the Islanders are going to get worse attendance with no obstructed seats in a more centralized location.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Do tell us how the Islanders are going to get worse attendance with no obstructed seats in a more centralized location.

Even if that happened... they Islanders are still in a far better financial position. They'd own and operate an actual hockey arena.

The Islanders have never gotten all of every revenue source. They didn't get concessions or parking or all of tickets in NVMC. They don't control all their revenue in Barclay's, they get a flat rate.

They'd get 100% of advertising, signage, concessions, suites, tickets, sponsorship, local TV and national TV revenues from Islanders hockey, AND they'd get extra income from non-hockey events at the arena.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Even if that happened... they Islanders are still in a far better financial position. They'd own and operate an actual hockey arena.

The Islanders have never gotten all of every revenue source. They didn't get concessions or parking or all of tickets in NVMC. They don't control all their revenue in Barclay's, they get a flat rate.

They'd get 100% of advertising, signage, concessions, suites, tickets, sponsorship, local TV and national TV revenues from Islanders hockey, AND they'd get extra income from non-hockey events at the arena.

Well to be fair THEY wouldn't get all of it, the other investors in the arena would get large chunks of it.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Because arena management isn't lucrative?

For the umpteeth time this thread... Many people here said "New York doesn't NEED another arena! They have MSG, The Rock, NVMC!" when Ratner was trying to build Barclays. Barclays joined MSG in the top four in the United States for sales/profits.

According to the Pollstar 2017 midyear arena rankings (does not count sports events), Barclays is #1 in the US, MSG is #2, and Prudential is #4. Those are good for #9, #13 and #18 in the world respectively.

That won't stop many posters from ignoring facts and simply looking at a map to draw the silly conclusion that there are too many in the area. The vast NYC metro could easily, easily support another arena. However, I do wonder can the Island in particular support renovated NVMC and this proposed new one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->