UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
do we actually know that though? We haven't heard a thing about financing this thing. I would not be surprised one bit to see them going hat in hand to the state looking for public funds to build so they have nothing to lose if it flops
Yeah, we do. It's to be privately financed, per reporting.

Although most the specifics of the proposed arena are still being held private out of respect for the bidding process, Ledecky made it clear that the building itself was going to be privately funded. He and Malkin are working with Sterling Project Development, the company owned by the Mets, as well as Oak View Group, run by Madison Square Garden. Along with another outside investment group, Ledecky made it seem like they weren’t going to ask for any public money.
Those three groups [in addition to ownership] have fully committed to financing the arena,” Ledecky said.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/islanders-owner-forget-nassau-were-focused-on-belmont-park/

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Yeah, but by who? I keep asking the same question and cannot find an answer. It's an important factor that keeps getting overlooked.

A couple scenerios...

If Ledecky/Malkin are picking up 80 percent of the bill... MSG and Oakview aren't taking much of a chance here. If MSG is picking up a bulk of the bill, I'm not sure how happy I'd be having the Islanders as a tenant to Jim Dolan (who owns the rival Rangers and rival venue MSG). If Oakview is majority owner, I'm not comfortable knowing they have a stake in the new arena in Seattle. In the last two scenerios, what happens if either party comes to the same conclusion as Barlcays? They essentially use the Islanders to get a venue, then kick them out after a couple years.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Belmont becomes a reality, the Islanders have to be primary owners (meaning more than a 50% stake), and have a strong contract with anyone else involved that keeps the Islanders profitable and stable.

Reactions: Thrive

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If Belmont becomes a reality, the Islanders have to be primary owners (meaning more than a 50% stake), and have a strong contract with anyone else involved that keeps the Islanders profitable and stable.
Yeah, but by who? I keep asking the same question and cannot find an answer. It's an important factor that keeps getting overlooked.

A couple scenerios...

If Ledecky/Malkin are picking up 80 percent of the bill... MSG and Oakview aren't taking much of a chance here. If MSG is picking up a bulk of the bill, I'm not sure how happy I'd be having the Islanders as a tenant to Jim Dolan (who owns the rival Rangers and rival venue MSG). If Oakview is majority owner, I'm not comfortable knowing they have a stake in the new arena in Seattle. In the last two scenerios, what happens if either party comes to the same conclusion as Barlcays? They essentially use the Islanders to get a venue, then kick them out after a couple years.

the rangers are paying for this, who else? ledecky and malkin, a lot of money

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Without getting into a whole debate regarding everything surrounding the RFP process and everything that comes with it, I just wanted to state one thing in regards to the points people are making re: the over-saturating of the NY metro area with arenas. BSE owns NVMC/Barclays. The Belmont Group, headed mostly by the MSG/Oakview/Empire Sports etc groups, wants to compete with NVMC/Barclays by essentially competing with BSE's owned arenas with a 1-2 punch of their own in MSG/"Al Arbour Arena" in Belmont. NVMC is a total "Lipstick on a Pig" refurbished project that boasts nothing in terms of public transit opportunities, retail, surrounding entertainment district etc. Just the Marriott, which is quickly becoming as antiquated as her long time neighbor in the NVMC became before the $160 million or so "upgrades."

Bottom line: If/When the arena at Belmont is constructed, its not Belmont Arena/Oakview/Empire Sports/MSG that should be concerned with booking events and generating revenue. BSE should be more concerned and worried about the Belmont arena more so than the Islanders and everyone involved with the Belmont arena. The Coliseum/Barclay's Center combo would instantly be impacted in a more negative way should Belmont succeed. NVMC would struggle mightily to attract top events as the AHL mid-sized arena it currently is, and that spells bad business in the end for BSE.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Whether in Belmont or in Brooklyn..the Isles are always going to be a franchise that's doing OK for itself when winning and that's gonna look pretty moribund when they aren't. Secondary teams in big markets are permanent little brothers for whom success can buy temporary relevance, but that's about it. Defining yourself very locally and tying yourself to one easily defined part of the market at least has the effect of turning you into the primary team for some people in that area.

It seems like the choice for the Isles is to be 1st on the Island while a distant 2nd or 3rd everywhere else or distant 2nd or 3rd *everywhere*.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Doesn't this prove the exact opposite? The drop from 4th to 50th is substantial. And this is a venue that actually has regular transit access (LIRR) compared to Belmont. Wouldn't the "Al Arbour" rank even lower than NVMC if built?

The drop from 4th to 50th isn't really "substantial." I mean, yes, through six months, 4th has almost 3 times the tickets sold as 50th.

NVMC has 110,000 concert tickets sold in three months, more than the United Center -- because the United Center has more pro teams playing in it. (And also, I typed the first thing wrong: the United Center is 54th). And with about 6000 less seats to sell.

The point is: Concert tickets is money to be made from an arena. And in the New York metro area, there is not a shortage of events.

When you look at the concert list, it doesn't quite "match-up" with what you'd expect when you think about market size.

Pro sports teams occupy so many of the dates that it limits concert ticket sales. The NHL venues in Tampa and Nashville (mid to small markets in pro sports) are higher on the list than Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia. Because those cities have double the sports dates.

MSG and Barclays and Newark transcend that trend because of how freaking big the market is, and because of how easy it is to book concerts.

Would "Al Arbour Arena" make NVMC go down in terms of ticket sales? Maybe, because it would be a better venue, closer to Queens, etc. But it would also make Barclays concert ticket sales GO UP, because there'd be more concert dates available to Barclays without the Islanders 41 games, and any turnover dates getting the arena ready for hockey would be bookable.

Can't get the new site's search to help me; but I guarantee you when Ratner was trying to build Barclay's, people on this site said the exact same thing: "Does NY Metro need ANOTHER arena? There's already three!"

And Barclays is #1 in the USA in concert ticket sales.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Bottom line: If/When the arena at Belmont is constructed, its not Belmont Arena/Oakview/Empire Sports/MSG that should be concerned with booking events and generating revenue. BSE should be more concerned and worried about the Belmont arena more so than the Islanders and everyone involved with the Belmont arena. The Coliseum/Barclay's Center combo would instantly be impacted in a more negative way should Belmont succeed.

NVMC would probably see business go down because AAA at Belmont would be a better venue and close enough that there'd be competition. But it's probably not a massive significance in the grand scheme of things.

But Barclay's business would go UP because they're kicking out the Islanders and booking those dates. And it's more than just 41 home games, it's probably about 70 dates.

This isn't a "Zero sum game" where there's only 800 "Things" you can put in an arena per year and the four venues have to compete for them. Another arena just means there's 300 more events in the market.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

A couple scenerios...

the rangers are paying for this, who else? ledecky and malkin, a lot of money

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

A couple scenerios...

New York Arena Partners is the group that sumbitted the bid and are financing the arena. It’s made up of Ledecky & Malkin, Sterling Properties (the Wilpon’s real estate arm) and Oak View Group. Unfortunately nobody knows the breakdown of the investments so it’s still open to debate, but I’d be shocked if L&M aren’t the majority partners.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
L
Are you saying NVMC has regular LIRR service? The exact opposite is true. There is no public transportation available there.

Also you should note that NVMC didn’t reopen until April, so those 2017 rankings are skewed.

Don't live in NY and always assumed it did. Just looked it up on Google Maps. Man, that's a terrible location.

Still don't see a 5th 10k+ arena in the Metropolitan area as being necessary.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Perhaps the reason why Ledecky said that Belmont Park is the Isles focus now may have to do with NYC application process

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/download/pdf/applicants/applicant-portal/dcpprocessmap.pdf

Chances are NYC Department of City Planning is reviewing 'the Belmont backup', which likely has no timeline just like Belmont RFP, but NYC's review process took place before 9.28.2017.

application_process.jpg

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/applicants/applicant-portal/step5-ulurp-process.page

'DCP is responsible for certifying that the application is complete, and ready for public review through the ULURP process.
An application cannot be certified until DCP determines that the application includes all forms, plans and supporting documents that are necessary to address all issues related to the application... There is no mandated time by which this pre-certification review must be completed. The Charter permits applicants or the affected Borough President to appeal to CPC for certification after six months from the date of application submission...'

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
L

Don't live in NY and always assumed it did. Just looked it up on Google Maps. Man, that's a terrible location.

Still don't see a 5th 10k+ arena in the Metropolitan area as being necessary.

Halloween in 2000 I learned just how hard it was to try getting from Kew Gardens, Queens to NVMC by transit a distance of 18 miles. I left my car in Queens because I was meeting some Boston people after the game and I simply so not drive if I have had a beer or two. Getting there took about an 1 hour and 20 minutes via Long Island Bus from Jamaica with a transfer in Hampstead but coming back from the former Champions at the LI Marriott became a nightmare. The car service/taxi driver screwed me as he said the closest LIRR station was Merrick ( turned out his dispatch office was at that station) and then I made a tourist mistake and wound up on an OUTBOUND LIRR train and wound up in Lindenhurst. I then go to a bar adjacent to the station which was to be kind a 'bikey bar' and incredibly there was a woman there that I knew from a bar near Penn Station ( Hickey's long gone ) and the night ended well.

The announced attendance that night was 6,418 but the reality was their were perhaps 3,000 tops in the arena.

To me the one area of the NY Metro that could support another arena is Westchester ( New Rochelle or White Plains ) which would be convenient to Fairfield County, Connecticut. But that would never work for the Islanders as that area is Rangers territory.

Professional teams today look at what is known as the 'Combined Statistical Area' as that shows how strong a television regional sports network can be. Some markets become much stronger than you would think but New York is another universe.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Halloween in 2000 I learned just how hard it was to try getting from Kew Gardens, Queens to NVMC by transit a distance of 18 miles. I left my car in Queens because I was meeting some Boston people after the game and I simply so not drive if I have had a beer or two. Getting there took about an 1 hour and 20 minutes via Long Island Bus from Jamaica with a transfer in Hampstead but coming back from the former Champions at the LI Marriott became a nightmare. The car service/taxi driver screwed me as he said the closest LIRR station was Merrick ( turned out his dispatch office was at that station) and then I made a tourist mistake and wound up on an OUTBOUND LIRR train and wound up in Lindenhurst. I then go to a bar adjacent to the station which was to be kind a 'bikey bar' and incredibly there was a woman there that I knew from a bar near Penn Station ( Hickey's long gone ) and the night ended well
If the Islanders win the Belmont bid you'll never have to have an adventure like that again.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://www.qchron.com/editions/quee...cle_bd2f4feb-6d67-5221-9e76-c734411a4639.html

'Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:30 am
by Christopher Barca, Associate Editor

Republican Bill Kregler, a political newcomer, doesn’t think he’s going to pull the upset of Borough President Melinda Katz, who boasts more than 20 years of government experience, in November...

“I assure you this, I’m winning on Nov. 7,” Kregler said in a sitdown interview at the Chronicle’s office last Friday. “It’s reading the tea leaves. You know, people thought Donald Trump wasn’t going to win.”...

Kregler and Katz are in agreement when it comes to a number of large-scale development projects, most notably a pair in the area around Citi Field.

The GOP challenger said he likes Katz’s idea of building a soccer or hockey stadium at Willets Point — something he said he actually proposed first — but he set his sights on another athletic prize.
“It’s a sports complex and I would love to get one of the football teams. If not, let’s take back their New York title from them,” Kregler said of the New York Giants and Jets. “I think the Jets would come back, but we need a soccer-type stadium anyway...”'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://www.qchron.com/editions/your...cle_00cc97b4-bd95-11e7-a960-8b49255e0631.html

'Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:08 pm | Updated: 1:24 pm, Mon Oct 30, 2017.
by Anthony O'Reilly / Associate Editor

Katz vs. Kregler
Republican Bill Kregler told the Chronicle he “guarantees” he’ll bring down Democratic Borough President Melinda Katz. He also says he’s the “only one” who can bring President Trump and Gov. Cuomo together.
Beyond that, the candidate — also running on the Conservative line — wants to give communities notice when the city plans to convert a hotel into a shelter.
Katz, also on the Working Families line, has touted her work in reforming the Queens Library system and funding capital improvements to schools and says she wants to bring a soccer or hockey stadium to Willets Point...'

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
But will "enough" people do that?

And what about the other dates of the year? Arenas rely on multiple events to keep afloat. With three other 15k+ and better located arenas plus the renovated NVMC at 11k+ that's simply too much arena competiton even for good ol' metro New York.

For comparison:

Metro London (pop. 15m) has one 20k+ event space in the O2 and SSE Wembley Arena is the next largest at 12k+ (equivalent to the pre-reno NVMC).

Metro Tokyo (pop. 36m) has the Saitama Super Arena 19-35k+, the Budokan 14k+, Ryogoku (rarely used for anything but Sumo) 11k+, the Metro Gymnasium 10k+, Ariake Coliseum (rarely used for anything but Tennis) 10k+, Yokohama Arena 17k+ and will be getting a renovated Yoyogi Gymnasium 13k+ for the 2020 Olympics.

At best, 2 of those resemble multi-purpose arenas in comparison to Metro NY's 4 current and this 1 proposed.

Tokyo and London do not have anything resembling the demand for concert and (more importantly) event space that the US does. So, for example, Disney on Ice is going on a UK/Ireland tour which only has four stops (Dublin, London, Belfast, Sheffield) and one of those is in a hotel. Another Disney on Ice UK tour starting up has 8 stops. For comparison, Disney currently has 130 shows scheduled in North America through just May of 2018. Add in different requirements for things like conferences and trade shows in a country with 65 million people as opposed to 350 million. There's just way more need and demand for multiple large arenas here.

Put another way, London's tallest building wouldn't be in the top 15 tallest skyscrapers in the US. Their second tallest building would be the third tallest... in Minneapolis. You can't use that as a point to argue NYC doesn't need more skyscrapers, though, because they are different markets with different needs.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Disney on ice isn't much of a barometer.

The O2 Arena is the busiest on Earth and the next largest arena in London is the 84-year old Wembley arena.

A 5th arena in your metro seating over 10k is simply unnecessary.

Venue 2016 Ticket sales for concert7s/shows
The O2 Arena, London, UK 1,064,912
Madison Square Garden, New York, U.S. 731,574
Mexico City Arena, Mexico City, Mexico 701,001
AccorHotels Arena, Paris, France 621,629
Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York, U.S. 582,877
Manchester Arena, Manchester, UK 528,489

Tokyo and London do not have anything resembling the demand for concert and (more importantly) event space that the US does. So, for example, Disney on Ice is going on a UK/Ireland tour which only has four stops (Dublin, London, Belfast, Sheffield) and one of those is in a hotel. Another Disney on Ice UK tour starting up has 8 stops. For comparison, Disney currently has 130 shows scheduled in North America through just May of 2018. Add in different requirements for things like conferences and trade shows in a country with 65 million people as opposed to 350 million. There's just way more need and demand for multiple large arenas here.

Put another way, London's tallest building wouldn't be in the top 15 tallest skyscrapers in the US. Their second tallest building would be the third tallest... in Minneapolis. You can't use that as a point to argue NYC doesn't need more skyscrapers, though, because they are different markets with different needs.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
You're missing the point, there are waaaaaay more events going on the US and way more people going to them. The NYC metro area about as many people as the Greater London Built Up Area and the Paris Metropolitan Area combined. You're not comparing apples to apples here at all.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
A 5th arena in your metro seating over 10k is simply unnecessary.

Venue 2016 Ticket sales for concert7s/shows
The O2 Arena, London, UK 1,064,912
Madison Square Garden, New York, U.S. 731,574
Mexico City Arena, Mexico City, Mexico 701,001
AccorHotels Arena, Paris, France 621,629
Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York, U.S. 582,877
Manchester Arena, Manchester, UK 528,489

I remember when the discussion on this board was that the FOURTH arena wasn't necessary, and now it's fourth in ticket sales despite holding two professional teams. Barclay's has zero trouble booking the place.

NVMC was only open for 2.5 months of the July 1 report on concert ticket sales, and they sold more concert tickets than Chicago's United Center. Because the United Center had two teams in it, and NVMC had none.

The sheer volume of people in the NY Metro area means that the limit on concert ticket sales is simply the availability of venue dates.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Gary Bettman supportive of Islanders’ Belmont effort

By Neil Best [email protected] @sportswatchUpdated November 28, 2017 7:59 PM

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says he is “wholly, fully, unequivocally supportive of the Belmont effort” as the Islanders seek a new arena to call home.

Speaking before an event Tuesday night at the Paley Center in Manhattan celebrating the NHL’s 100th anniversary, Bettman said co-owners “Scott Malkin and Jonathan Ledecky are doing everything they can to get the Islanders the new arena that they need so badly, and I remain the optimist that this can come to fruition on a timely basis.

The Islanders are seeking approval to develop a site at Belmont Park, but in the meantime have committed to play at Barclays Center through next season.

“I think it would be great,” Bettman said of the Belmont site. “I think it would be great for the Islanders. I think it would be great for the people of greater New York. I think it would be great for Long Island.”...

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
All this talk is so delusional...Belmont is a waste land pure and simple...it is the Gilligans island of long island....if the isles could not draw in Brooklyn with all the tourists/hipsters and millions of city folk how are you going to draw in Belmont? and how are you going to fill 320 calendar days of dates? Concerts? really...you already have concerts 8 miles east in the NVMC...this arena will never get built not gonna happen in a million years.

Reactions: Llama19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad