Upcoming World Championships...a big letdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, all 6000+ posts that I have (not really an accomplishment, but still) revolve around pimping USA hockey. :shakehead I PREFER to post on that subject, but that doesn't mean I won't contribute to other topics of interest. By the way, despite being a supporter of USA hockey, I will give credit where credit is due, and Canada is no differant.
^6000 posts and all of them to do with U.S.A hockey or prospects....that's all i ever see anyway.Regardless,i really did'nt mean to put you down just to point out that you seem to go into every tournament telling everyone the U.S is being overlooked and how strong they are when i think we all know that and don't slight them at all.I'm sure you won't believe this but i like reading the info you have on U.S hockey and think the board would be less if you were'nt here,you keep me the most informed about U.S hockey of any poster around here and i like to keep up to date on the competition.I just think you almost never post anything on anything else but U.S hockey and it's prospects and i think that's a shame honestly.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
SectionX said:
Well the dude is seriously misinformed about the world championchips. Sweden has always had great tournaments there.
No, I'm not. I'm well aware that the WC's are a watered down tournament. Sure, it's the Stanley Cup for Europe, but it's no longer as great a tournament as it used to be.

But maybe I should change what I'm saying. I just don't think Sweden is a true contender to actually win.

Macman

May 15, 2004
HF2002 said:
I'm well aware that the WC's are a watered down tournament. Sure, it's the Stanley Cup for Europe, but it's no longer as great a tournament as it used to be.

Excuse me? When was it great? The tournament is better now than it's ever been because the playing field is finally even.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Jussi said:
Actually Selänne and Lehtinen might show up for the training camp. Selänne, I hear, has been able to do full training for a long time and has gotten results not seen in years from him.

Unfortunately, according to latest news Selänne and Lehtinen are not going to show up. The same applies to T. Ruutu, Numminen, Koivu, Lydman and Kiprusoff. Also, Olli Jokinen is a question mark, as his hand injury might stop him from participating. I have not heard anything regarding Sami Kapanen and Kimmo Timonen, so things are looking pretty sad right now :(

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Macman said:
Excuse me? When was it great? The tournament is better now than it's ever been because the playing field is finally even.
It was a great tournament before the european players made their entrance in the NHL. Well, great for the european teams anyway...

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Boucicaut said:
Unfortunately, according to latest news Selänne and Lehtinen are not going to show up. The same applies to T. Ruutu, Numminen, Koivu, Lydman and Kiprusoff. Also, Olli Jokinen is a question mark, as his hand injury might stop him from participating. I have not heard anything regarding Sami Kapanen and Kimmo Timonen, so things are looking pretty sad right now :(

Just an update to this section. Jokinen has confirmed he is playing. Apparently his injury has subsided. Good for us!

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Macman said:
Like Kronblom said, it was a better tournament before all the european players started playing in the NHL. It had more importance for Europeans (as a tournament), and it may still have it, but it's not the same tournament it used to be.

Besides, if it's better than ever, how long will it last? Next year as well? Doubtful. It's a one year blip.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Macman said:

I didn't care about the World Championship until this year. A hockey world without the NHL is a dream come true for International hockey fans! :yo:

SChan*

HF2002 said:
No, I'm not. I'm well aware that the WC's are a watered down tournament. Sure, it's the Stanley Cup for Europe, but it's no longer as great a tournament as it used to be.

But maybe I should change what I'm saying. I just don't think Sweden is a true contender to actually win.

changing your mind now huh? Classy. :shakehead

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
SectionX said:
changing your mind now huh? Classy. :shakehead
Not in the least.

It used to be a stronger tournament in the 80s than it is now - but still not as strong as the Canada Cup, the World Cup or last two Olympics.

Then, in the 90s, it became watered down as more and more Europeans played in the NHL. This year it's a stronger tournament than it has been in the last 10 years (or more).

Even if I was changing my mind, I guess on any topic, how is that showing a lack of class? If anything, it says more about you than it does about me.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The World Championships have always been and will continue to be a tournament of interest that will always rank below the Olympics or World Cup. That is fine as its a nice opportunity for countries to give national team experience to younger players or different players. I have always liked this tourney and always will. I do not care who is not here, the only thing that matters is who is here.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I do not care who is not here, the only thing that matters is who is here.

I think that's the right way to view this tournament. Too many people focus on who's not here and assume it's uninteresting hockey.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I have to admit to being just a little disappointed. This was the year that the World Championships would finally showcase the best talent in the world. Unfortunately so many of the game's best players have decided not to play.
I'm still going to enjoy watching the tournament though as it will be the last hockey we will see until the fall.

espo*

It's now official.This years world championships will be a notch better then usual while being several notches below the Olympics and the past world cup.Still,we can be thankful the talent level will be slightly above typical world championships but a little dissapointing for us fans who thought the lockout at the very least was going to have a saving grace of a best on best worlds.The players did'nt let it happen however.No surprise.

rogu

Apr 12, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
I think the world championships are great to watch no matter who's playing, the games are very entertaining and you usually don't se a bad game. So I don't think the WC tournament will be a letdown (the teams will play great hockey), I can't wait for it to start.

My best hockeygame memories are from international contests....and well so are my worst as I am a Finn you probably know what I am talking about, atleast if you are a Swede.

And then some stuff off topic....

Canada looks strong, their success will depend on how well their "cold" players will adapt to the game after a long break. Russia's success depends on how well they will play as a team, they are so talented that they'll probably get a medal even if the team doesn't work as a unit. Sweden, hell I think Sweden will compete for the gold, for once I think they have a really hungry team and a GREAT netminder, the team in some ways remind me of the team in the '94 Olympics in Lillehammer. Finland no clue, I don't know why but the team always lacks goalscoring talent and still the best scorers in the SM-Liiga are always left out, positions 3-4 are possible (I might even be a little optimistic but the finnish "sisu" might carry us). The Czechs are going for the gold, they have put together a great team and all the players have competed this season. The US and Slovakia are questionmarks for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->