Upcoming World Championships...a big letdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
As SectionX said, being the underdogs suits Team Sweden. I look forward to this world championships. But then again I always prefer a team with unproven talent and a few carefully selected veterans for leadership rather than the pure all-star teams that played in the World Cup and Olympics. Team Sweden has never won anything by having the most impressive names. The few titles we've got are all won by having the best team at those few tournaments.

SChan*

Riddarn said:
As SectionX said, being the underdogs suits Team Sweden. I look forward to this world championships. But then again I always prefer a team with unproven talent and a few carefully selected veterans for leadership rather than the pure all-star teams that played in the World Cup and Olympics. Team Sweden has never won anything by having the most impressive names. The few titles we've got are all won by having the best team at those few tournaments.

correct, the only thing that annoys me is that nordstrom and Jonsson will get auto spots, and so will the sedins. I'd say that our Couch should let all the young guns play and not have a team older than 25 in average age. I am sick of the old SEL players as of old NHL stars.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
12# Peter Bondra said:
I like it when we are the underdogs. We fair better being an underdog than being a favorite.

The WC's are in 1 month or so? I think they are from the 30th of April to the 15th of May.

I think the U.S. is being overlooked as well. I can understand why, since the U.S. traditionally plays poorly at the World Championships, but we won the bronze last year, and will be icing a very competitive (albeit young) roster made up almost exclusively of NHL players. I especially like the defense.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Personally I get up for everything that Canada plays in, but this time is different. With the lockout, I don't care how they perform.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't see it as a disappointment. Any hockey at this point is exciting. And frankly I don't think the tournament will be all that poorly attended.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
SectionX said:
correct, the only thing that annoys me is that nordstrom and Jonsson will get auto spots, and so will the sedins. I'd say that our Couch should let all the young guns play and not have a team older than 25 in average age. I am sick of the old SEL players as of old NHL stars.

I have no problem with the Sedins. They have to be given the opportunity to perform some time and I can't think of any better than now. Put them with Alfie and you'll see some sparks fly, i'm telling you! ;)

Jönsson and Nordström is another deal. I hope they go with guys like Franzén and Hagos instead, but that won't happen now that Bengt-Åke is coaching.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I think the swedish team is going to do really well in the WC. They have a lot of motivated players that's on the verge of becoming stars and they want to show the world that. I'm thinking of Henrik Lundqvist, Henrik Zetterberg, the Sedins, Christian Bäckman and maybe Niklas Kronwall. They have also some veteran stars like Norström and Alfredsson to lead the team. Both are NHL captains. But the most important reason for some success is that we have an awsome netminder now in Lundqvist. I can't believe they didn't play him in the World Cup! Add to that some really good checkers and PK-players like P.J Axelsson, Påhlsson and Jörgen Jönsson.
The team is probobly going to look something like this:

Goalies:
Henrik Lundqvist
Stefan Liv
Johan Holmqvist

Defensemen:
Christian Bäckman
Niklas Kronwall
Mattias Norström
Thomas Rhodin
Niclas Hävelid
Niclas Wallin
Kenny Jönsson
Daniel Tjärnqvist

F:
Henrik Zetterberg
Magnus Kahnberg
Mattias Weinhandl
Jonathan Hedström
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Marcus Nilson
Nils Ekman
Jörgen Jönsson
Peter Nordström
Daniel Alfredsson
Per-Johan Axelsson

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Everybody is talking about Lundqist and what about Telqist? How was this season for hm? Will he make the team?

time

Feb 26, 2005
Let down? Hell no!

When it looked like the NHL might save the season at the 11th hour I was upset because I wanted this WC to be the main event (rather than a cynical, shortened NHL season). Other than Sweden, most countries are icing many of their best players. This will be awesome.

Oh and by the way, people are underestimating the States. The Yankee changing of the guard is long overdue. It would be an upset if they won, but I would not take them lightly.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I think the U.S. is being overlooked as well. I can understand why, since the U.S. traditionally plays poorly at the World Championships, but we won the bronze last year, and will be icing a very competitive (albeit young) roster made up almost exclusively of NHL players. I especially like the defense.
No offense but you say that every tournament(underestimated,like their defense),the odds say you've gotta get it right at some point.You loved their "d' being brought in to North Dakota and you said Sandelin was a great coach and etc,etc but when it was over you slagged the defense they brought and thought Sandelin was the wrong choice as coach. I think they should'nt be taken lightly at this tournament too(i think that about all the teams) but you always seem to think other posters don't give them their due when people are usually just being realistic about their chances.One day you'll look like a genuis just by the law of averages because this is your story about the U.S team going into every tourney.They have question marks and people are'nt going to jump on the U.S hockey bandwagon until they see them take home the gold hardware over there that's all.......no-ones slighting them or underestimating them....people just don't see them as a front runner and i can see why.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
No offense but you say that every tournament(underestimated,like their defense),the odds say you've gotta get it right at some point.You loved their "d' being brought in to North Dakota and you said Sandelin was a great coach and etc,etc but when it was over you slagged the defense they brought and thought Sandelin was the wrong choice as coach. I think they should'nt be taken lightly at this tournament too(i think that about all the teams) but you always seem to think other posters don't give them their due when people are usually just being realistic about their chances.One day you'll look like a genuis just by the law of averages because this is your story about the U.S team going into every tourney.They have question marks and people are'nt going to jump on the U.S hockey bandwagon until they see them take home the gold hardware over there that's all.......no-ones slighting them or underestimating them....people just don't see them as a front runner and i can see why.

Say what about every tournament, that the U.S. is a contender? How is that a fallicy? At this stage, the U.S. should be considered a contender at every international tournament it enters. As for the U.S. WJC team, I never said Sandelin was a "great" coach. I said he was a good coach, and was thought of highly enough by Dean Blais, who is a great coach to be suggested for the head coaching job. I also thought the defense would fare better than it did, and in the end that did'n't happen. When it was all said and done, the U.S. still came within a goal of back-to-back medals at the WJC, something that had never been done in it's history. Thanks for responding though, as it was anticipated.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm not going to make any predictions for the US team but I think it will be interesting to see how they do. At the senior level we have mostly seen the older stars at the "best-on-best" tournaments while we usually are lucky to get a few good players and then a lot of filler for the World Championships. The team they are putting together looks to be something totally new and while I'm not sure that the young US talent has what it takes to be a contender at this WC's I think it will be interesting to see the group dynamic and who steps up to lead. I'd like to see a guy like David Legwand who's been on the cusp of a break out year for a while now have a great tournament and continue that into the next NHL season (whenever that may be).

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
TORRUS said:
Everybody is talking about Lundqist and what about Telqist? How was this season for hm? Will he make the team?

Tellqvist had a rough start this season. But he's been really steady after X-mas. He has 92.0% saves, 21 wins and 14 losses. But St Johns probably going to make the playoffs and I don't know if he'll be available then. But he would be a decent backup to Lundqvist.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Say what about every tournament, that the U.S. is a contender? How is that a fallicy? At this stage, the U.S. should be considered a contender at every international tournament it enters. As for the U.S. WJC team, I never said Sandelin was a "great" coach. I said he was a good coach, and was thought of highly enough by Dean Blais, who is a great coach to be suggested for the head coaching job. I also thought the defense would fare better than it did, and in the end that did'n't happen. When it was all said and done, the U.S. still came within a goal of back-to-back medals at the WJC, something that had never been done in it's history. Thanks for responding though, as it was anticipated.
By this point it should be anticipated,you think people slight the U.S when they are not doing so and you always go into every tournament reminding everyone why they should be talking about the U.S when they are just being realistic about their chances.Until they come up with some solid consistent results in tournaments like this why would you think people would be flapping their gums all over the place about the U.S's chances this year and every other year? Talk is talk.......that's it...walking the walk is what cuts it for people after all.Slovakia has won this thing after all and the U.S has'nt so............
You can think i'm on your case all you want and in a sense i am because it's hard not to notice your pattern concerning them.every tournament you seem to want to scream out they should be taken seriously but people already do,they just recognize the relative chances for the U.S in a tournament like this for what they are not disregarding them. So yes,you should anitcipate me responding when i see you always jump in with the "people are underestimating us stuff" why would'nt i? Happens every tournament that they've been involved in since i've been here.I think you're off track and see you singing the same song all the time based on percieved lack of respect that are'nt there at all. By the way,your response was anticipated too but i don't mind because that's the way it's supposed to be around here right? Very boring place when no-one replies would'nt you say?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Macman said:
I agree with everything you said except this. Canada has won something like 22 world senior championships in Europe and I believe 10 of its 12 world junior titles on foreign soil. I don't know how much more convincing a team can be.

I don't think Canada is unconvincing on foreign soil, at least no more than other countries. However, keep in mind that some of those championships were won at a time when hockey was in it's infancy in many of the European countries. Hell, even England has won a championship back in the beginning of the 20th century! Or was it Great Britain.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

Yep. I look forward to seeing team US play. Going young is definitely the right choice after what happened at the WC2004. Old geezers like Chelios don't need to be on the team.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Team Finland will not have all of it's big guns either. We'll have to do without Selänne, Lehtinen, T. Ruutu and T. Numminen.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
By this point it should be anticipated,you think people slight the U.S when they are not doing so and you always go into every tournament reminding everyone why they should be talking about the U.S when they are just being realistic about their chances.Until they come up with some solid consistent results in tournaments like this why would you think people would be flapping their gums all over the place about the U.S's chances this year and every other year? Talk is talk.......that's it...walking the walk is what cuts it for people after all.Slovakia has won this thing after all and the U.S has'nt so............
You can think i'm on your case all you want and in a sense i am because it's hard not to notice your pattern concerning them.every tournament you seem to want to scream out they should be taken seriously but people already do,they just recognize the relative chances for the U.S in a tournament like this for what they are not disregarding them. So yes,you should anitcipate me responding when i see you always jump in with the "people are underestimating us stuff" why would'nt i? Happens every tournament that they've been involved in since i've been here.I think you're off track and see you singing the same song all the time based on percieved lack of respect that are'nt there at all. By the way,your response was anticipated too but i don't mind because that's the way it's supposed to be around here right? Very boring place when no-one replies would'nt you say?

You can do whatever you want. I'm a passionate fan of U.S. hockey, and will defend/support it as I see fit. If that seems "fanboyish" of you, so be it. I would think you would have better things to do than harp on my posting patterns (like throw out some original thoughts of your own), but apparently that's beyond you. Whatever floats your boat I guess....... :dunce:

Last edited:

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
You can do whatever you want. I'm a passionate fan of U.S. hockey, and will defend/support it as I see fit. If that seems "fanboyish" of you, so be it. I would think you have better things to do than harp on my posting patterns (like throw out some original thoughts of your own), but apparently that's beyond you. Whatever floats your boat I guess....... :dunce:
I do all the time but i guess you don't read them and i do it for more then just Canada topics(which is why you probably seem to have not read them) I don't have any problem with you defending U.S hockey it's just that you defend them to a fault and don't contribute to any other talk about anyone else and it gets funny after a while............it is fanboyish to a degree of funniness and that's why i'm on it.Does anything exist to you except U.S hockey? Your comment about me not having original thoughts is full of sh%t but i expect that from you and i don't care,just get reasonable for God's sake and float down from cloud nine.The hell if you care or not,i ain't lyin about this so F#$%k it. Everyone takes their lumps here,you're no different to me.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Boucicaut said:
Team Finland will not have all of it's big guns either. We'll have to do without Selänne, Lehtinen, T. Ruutu and T. Numminen.

Actually Selänne and Lehtinen might show up for the training camp. Selänne, I hear, has been able to do full training for a long time and has gotten results not seen in years from him.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Jussi said:
Actually Selänne and Lehtinen might show up for the training camp. Selänne, I hear, has been able to do full training for a long time and has gotten results not seen in years from him.

This would be absolutely great news! Lehtinen is known for impeccable work ethics so he too should be in good shape then. However, not having played on a competitive level for over 6 months might be a problem for both. Sami Kapanen and Kimmo Timonen fortunately will be available, in shape and have played through the winter.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Jussi said:

It would be nice to see Teemu in fine form at least once more before he calls it a career.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I do all the time but i guess you don't read them and i do it for more then just Canada topics(which is why you probably seem to have not read them) I don't have any problem with you defending U.S hockey it's just that you defend them to a fault and don't contribute to any other talk about anyone else and it gets funny after a while............it is fanboyish to a degree of funniness and that's why i'm on it.Does anything exist to you except U.S hockey? Your comment about me not having original thoughts is full of sh%t but i expect that from you and i don't care,just get reasonable for God's sake and float down from cloud nine.The hell if you care or not,i ain't lyin about this so F#$%k it. Everyone takes their lumps here,you're no different to me.

Yeah, all 6000+ posts that I have (not really an accomplishment, but still) revolve around pimping USA hockey. :shakehead I PREFER to post on that subject, but that doesn't mean I won't contribute to other topics of interest. By the way, despite being a supporter of USA hockey, I will give credit where credit is due, and Canada is no differant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->