Upcoming World Championships...a big letdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Well, with all the star Swedish players that have already said they're not going to Worlds, I guess we can count Sweden out as a contender. We can probably expect more of this from all the other countries as well. Canada will almost certainly end up with the deepest team, and will probably blow everyone else out of the water. Some of you may be okay with that, but personally, I'd like to see a competitive tournament.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I think this tourney could be a "glimpse of things to come" in that many teams traditional stars either have not been playing this year or are injured.

Many teams will have to go with youthful lineups, which definatly won't be a bad thing, it will just be a preview of things to come.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
octopi said:
Well, with all the star Swedish players that have already said they're not going to Worlds, I guess we can count Sweden out as a contender. We can probably expect more of this from all the other countries as well. Canada will almost certainly end up with the deepest team, and will probably blow everyone else out of the water. Some of you may be okay with that, but personally, I'd like to see a competitive tournament.
A couple of points:

- Sweden was never a contender, even with their best line up. Sweden is grossly overrated.

- Canada always has the most depth

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HF2002 said:
A couple of points:

- Sweden was never a contender, even with their best line up. Sweden is grossly overrated.

That's ridiculous. Sweden's best lineup can play with and beat anyone. Their problem is that anyone can beat them as well.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
HF2002 said:
A couple of points:

on paper (other than in net), Sweden SHOULD be a contender every time in best-on-best competition, but they just never are

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
ice berg slim said:
Umm didn't sweden make it to the finals the last couple of years? :huh:
What does that have to do with me saying that they aren't a contender this year?

Sweden is seriously overrated. When have they ever won anything of significance when the best players all have the opportunity to play (ie Canada Cup, World Cup, Olympics)?

They've got their golden generation right now and this generation is closing in on retirement. Who are the young guns for Sweden?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
HF2002 said:
What does that have to do with me saying that they aren't a contender this year?

Sweden is seriously overrated. When have they ever won anything of significance when the best players all have the opportunity to play (ie Canada Cup, World Cup, Olympics)?

They've got their golden generation right now and this generation is closing in on retirement. Who are the young guns for Sweden?

The young guns for Sweden have nothing to do with the strength of their top team NOW.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
HF2002 said:

We will see what Team Sweden can do without their top players in this years World Championships. Since almost all our top players have turned down the national team this year.

Players not coming to the World Championships:
Mats Sundin: havent played in a year.
Markus Näslund: injured,tired etc.
Fredrik Modin: injured,tired etc.
Peter Forsberg: injured.
Mattias Öhlund: havent played, his son is sick.
Dick Tärnström: is becoming a father.
Michael Nylander: injured,tired etc.
Kristian Huselius: suspended.
Marcus Ragnarsson: havent played. (5 games)
Andreas Johansson: injured.
Thomas Holmström: injured.
Henrik Tallinder: suspended
Andreas Lilja: suspended.
Nicklas Lidström: havent played.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
octopi said:

I personally totally disagree that Canada will blow everyone. That's exactly what's not going to happen. What depth are you talking about? About a depth that hasn't played hockey (except couple of charity games) for 10 months? I consider Russia, Finland and Czech republic much bigger contenders for the gold. And about Sweden, I agree with you. That's pitty...

Macman

May 15, 2004
TORRUS said:
I personally totally disagree that Canada will blow everyone. That's exactly what's not going to happen. What depth are you talking about? About a depth that hasn't played hockey (except couple of charity games) for 10 months? I consider Russia, Finland and Czech republic much bigger contenders for the gold. And about Sweden, I agree with you. That's pitty...

I agree it won't be a blowout because they never are. It's always close, but Canada does have tremendous depth. The fact they will still be able to ice a team capable of winning despite several no-shows, while a country like Sweden can't, pretty much says it all.

I agree that the Czechs and Russia have to be favoured because all of their top guys are playing, but Canada will be in the hunt. Don't forget that guys like Heatley, Thornton, Nash, St. Louis, Briere, Morrison, Lecavalier, Bouwmeester, Draper and Bergeron have been playing and that's a pretty strong nucleus.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Seriously, I don't think Canada is the favorite this time around. I never questioned Canada's status as the heavy favorite before the World Cup, but this time they may have a very hard time against the Czech Republic, Finland and Russia, although the Russians have a big question mark : the coach. Besides, Canada has never looked very convincing overseas as it draws a lot of energy and momentum from the Canadian crowd.

I was also disappointed to learn about the Swedish refusals, but if we look at Sweden's past results with Sundin, Forsberg and Lidstrom, all you get is three quarterfinal losses in the last 3 best on best tourneys. So this year's team might actually surprise everyone.

Finland is always a tough team to play against, and could win it all.

Russia is likely to have a much better team on paper than at the past World Cup, but Bilyaletdinov is a big time loser, and this team could end up playing like Ak Bars Kazan.

The Czechs are my personal HEAVY favorites.

There's Slovakia, but I don't think they have any chance against the big 6.

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
Besides, Canada has never looked very convincing overseas as it draws a lot of energy and momentum from the Canadian crowd.

I agree with everything you said except this. Canada has won something like 22 world senior championships in Europe and I believe 10 of its 12 world junior titles on foreign soil. I don't know how much more convincing a team can be.

SChan*

HF2002 said:
A couple of points:

This is the World championchips, and Sweden has been to the finals two years in a row. How is that NOT a contender? We are NOT talking about World Cup or olympics here.

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
Won't Nylander play? I thought he would be like a replacement for Forsberg. Anyway, those who say Sweden aren't a contender doesn't know what they're talking about.

SChan*

Radomon said:
those who say Sweden aren't a contender doesn't know what they're talking about.

Well the dude is seriously misinformed about the world championchips. Sweden has always had great tournaments there.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
wilka91 said:

There's Slovakia, but I don't think they have any chance against the big 6.

I like it when we are the underdogs. We fair better being an underdog than being a favorite.

The WC's are in 1 month or so? I think they are from the 30th of April to the 15th of May.

SChan*

wilka91 said:
Yeah, that's true, but it's a best on best, something we've never seen before.

Need I remind you of AK bars something :P

I think sweden could do very well of being the underdogs.

Macman

May 15, 2004
SectionX said:

This is very true. Sweden's big guns have never handled the pressure of being contenders, that much is obvious. Maybe sending guys who will have no expectations whatsoever will be a good thing.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
SectionX said:

That's also my opinion. This time I don't think they'll end up losing in the quarters, even if they face Brodeur or Vokoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->