Upcoming Hall of Fame announcement

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
kmad said:
Sadly the HHoF is slanted towards North American talent.. it took Kharlamov entirely too long to be selected.

I'm gonna go with the easy picks. Bure, Roy and Gilmour.

Doesn't make it right. Roy is the only player on this years list who must be in the hall. And IMO, it is a black mark on the HHoF that Europeans are routinely snubbed. So it's high bloody time they solved the problem.

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
That or, if not this year, one idea they could eventually follow in making induction noms is by choosing a pair of players that could represent each platform of world hockey: North American (including NHL) and International. This is just a possibility, but with Kharlamov last year, you get the idea that they're continuing to increase focus towards the hockey scene outside of North America. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if in one of the upcoming years they have an entirely European induction roster. But I still think that the list limit should at least be brought back up to a max of 6/7 in order to fulfill this.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
andreydali19 said:
That or, if not this year, one idea they could eventually follow in making induction noms is by choosing a pair of players that could represent each platform of world hockey: North American (including NHL) and International. This is just a possibility, but with Kharlamov last year, you get the idea that they're continuing to increase focus towards the hockey scene outside of North America. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if in one of the upcoming years they have an entirely European induction roster. But I still think that the list limit should at least be brought back up to a max of 6/7 in order to fulfill this.
I don't think you'll see any of that happen for a few years. There are a lot of excellent, deserving players who will be eligible for the first time in the next few seasons. It wouldn't surprise me to see them elect one international player a year. Besides, there aren't enough qualified players to be electing two international stars a year. Four players in one year? Never happen. Not with the NHL-centric HHOF voters. It took Kharlamov over 20 tries to get inducted.

HOF

Apr 1, 2006
If Gilmour gets in over Anderson, what a complete joke the HHOF is.

I have no idea how anybody will justify that. Anderson deserves to be in there tomorrow.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I'm not sure that posters here know how the Hall of Fame Induction process works.

There were no 20 'tries' for Kharlamov to finally get inducted. There may have been only one try and that got him in. Contrary to baseball, not all players who have been retired the required years are automatically up for the vote. That's because a hockey player may be eligible but if he isn't nominated to the selection committee and approved, then he is not considered that induction year at all.

In order to have a player eligible to be voted on, someone (could be anyone from the public) contacts one of the members of the selection committe with a proposal for induction. Paperwork is required (with stats, accomplishments etc.) to prove the case for the player. If that member of the committee agrees that there is a good case, then he brings it up for approval among the committee so that the player can be eligible to be voted on.

I hope that's clear enough. I don't necessarily agree with the process but the HHOF has their reasons, I'm sure.

So, if a player is not nominated by someone with the supporting info, then that player is not considered.

The question comes up about International hockey players and the same rule applies to them. I can tell you that there was supposed to be a nomination for Alexander Yakushev this year. But the list of nominees each year is guarded from the public like you wouldn't believe.

Another thing that is clear and made public is that on and off ice conduct does matter.

For years there have been complaints about people like Harold Ballard getting inducted because of their lack of morals, for the lack of a better word.

So, I hope the same people who bemoan that the Ballard types got inducted but cry because the Ciccarelli types don't, realize that you can't have it both ways.

The HHOF is trying to make things right. Its not to say guys like Ciccarelli won't be inducted but it won't be right away and won't be easy.

Of course, a lot depends on which players are eligible for the vote in a particular year. This year is weaker than next year so those players who are on the bubble have a better chance some years than others.

God Bless Canada said:
I don't think you'll see any of that happen for a few years. There are a lot of excellent, deserving players who will be eligible for the first time in the next few seasons. It wouldn't surprise me to see them elect one international player a year. Besides, there aren't enough qualified players to be electing two international stars a year. Four players in one year? Never happen. Not with the NHL-centric HHOF voters. It took Kharlamov over 20 tries to get inducted.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
ClassicHockey said:
I'm not sure that posters here know how the Hall of Fame Induction process works.

There were no 20 'tries' for Kharlamov to finally get inducted. There may have been only one try and that got him in. Contrary to baseball, not all players who have been retired the required years are automatically up for the vote. That's because a hockey player may be eligible but if he isn't nominated to the selection committee and approved, then he is not considered that induction year at all.

In order to have a player eligible to be voted on, someone (could be anyone from the public) contacts one of the members of the selection committe with a proposal for induction. Paperwork is required (with stats, accomplishments etc.) to prove the case for the player. If that member of the committee agrees that there is a good case, then he brings it up for approval among the committee so that the player can be eligible to be voted on.

I hope that's clear enough. I don't necessarily agree with the process but the HHOF has their reasons, I'm sure.

So, if a player is not nominated by someone with the supporting info, then that player is not considered.

The question comes up about International hockey players and the same rule applies to them. I can tell you that there was supposed to be a nomination for Alexander Yakushev this year. But the list of nominees each year is guarded from the public like you wouldn't believe.

Another thing that is clear and made public is that on and off ice conduct does matter.

For years there have been complaints about people like Harold Ballard getting inducted because of their lack of morals, for the lack of a better word.

So, I hope the same people who bemoan that the Ballard types got inducted but cry because the Ciccarelli types don't, realize that you can't have it both ways.

The HHOF is trying to make things right. Its not to say guys like Ciccarelli won't be inducted but it won't be right away and won't be easy.

Of course, a lot depends on which players are eligible for the vote in a particular year. This year is weaker than next year so those players who are on the bubble have a better chance some years than others.
Thanks for the clarification, ClassicHockey. As always, a valuable source for all HHOF-related information. I find it hard to believe that Valeri Kharlamov wasn't nominated between 1985 (his first chance) and 2005, when he was finally inducted, but stranger things have happened in hockey. (As you stated before, the HHOF selection committee is very tight-lipped about the nominees). If Yakushev was nominated, it will be very intriguing indeed to see whether he is successful. As stated before, it would not surprise me to see more international stars (player who spent the majority/all of their career in Europe and thrived on the international stage) inducted in the next decade.

Since you are very well connected, any predictions on who gets in this year? And any preferences among those who have been previously snubbed?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
All I am going to say is the Patrick Roy has a good chance. How is that for stickhandling around the questioni?

I can talk about who I think should be in. Mark Howe is one player that belongs.

He was a star everywhere he played - Olympics (as a 16 or 17 year old), Memorial Cup, the 1974 Canada (WHA) - Russia series, the WHA and the NHL. He was a superior player who had the stats, the awards, the longevity and had class.

Glen Anderson should be in but I don't think a jerk like Ciccarelli should - that would cheapen the Hall, in my opinion. In can't be all about stats. There are a few others that are borderline.

Incidently, there may be a DVD set on the 1974 Canada (WHA) - Russia - 8 game series. I wonder if that interests anyone.

God Bless Canada said:
Thanks for the clarification, ClassicHockey. As always, a valuable source for all HHOF-related information. I find it hard to believe that Valeri Kharlamov wasn't nominated between 1985 (his first chance) and 2005, when he was finally inducted, but stranger things have happened in hockey. (As you stated before, the HHOF selection committee is very tight-lipped about the nominees). If Yakushev was nominated, it will be very intriguing indeed to see whether he is successful. As stated before, it would not surprise me to see more international stars (player who spent the majority/all of their career in Europe and thrived on the international stage) inducted in the next decade.

Since you are very well connected, any predictions on who gets in this year? And any preferences among those who have been previously snubbed?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
All I am going to say is the Patrick Roy has a good chance. How is that for stickhandling around the questioni?

I can talk about who I think should be in. Mark Howe is one player that belongs.

He was a star everywhere he played - Olympics (as a 16 or 17 year old), Memorial Cup, the 1974 Canada (WHA) - Russia series, the WHA and the NHL. He was a superior player who had the stats, the awards, the longevity and had class.

Glen Anderson should be in but I don't think a jerk like Ciccarelli should - that would cheapen the Hall, in my opinion. In can't be all about stats. There are a few others that are borderline.

Incidently, there may be a DVD set on the 1974 Canada (WHA) - Russia - 8 game series. I wonder if that interests anyone.

I agree completely with you about Mark Howe. It`s somewhat ironic that Gordie Howe`s son would become one of the cleanest players of his era.

My predictions are Roy, Gilmour and Richter. Of course I also predicted New Jersey would win the Cup this year.

I would love to see Herb Carnegie be inducted as a builder, but I doubt it will happen.

Yes, I`d be very interested in a DVD of the `74 series. I`m surprised the footage still exists.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:

Remind me why Chicarelli was a jerk? Nude gardening is all I recall.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Remind me why Chicarelli was a jerk? Nude gardening is all I recall.
There was an incident in the back of a limousine in 1990 involving Ciccarelli, a few other Washington players, and a 17 year old girl. The case was investigated by a grand jury but charges weren`t laid.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:

Except this year.

Patrick Roy is the only player on this years list that must be inducted ASAP. Everyone else, meh, some, like Barasso, seem like a good idea, but there's no rush. So this is the perfect year to induct two European players into the hall.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Wow, I didn't realize that the HHOF ballot was crowded this year... looks like for the next 3-4 years there are going to be a lot first-year elligible players who are passed over.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
ClassicHockey said:
Be prepared for a surprise today when they announce the players.
Does anybody have a vague idea for what time the selections will be announced? And how far back does this surprise go? Is Claude Provost finally going to get his just reward?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Interesting that you bring up Claude Provost. He had a decent career, mostly known for his defensive play and he played on some great teams. But I don't think even the Montreal people thinks he's a prime candidate. That might answer your third question. The surprise would go back some years. You can start the guessing but you'll know shortly.

God Bless Canada said:
Does anybody have a vague idea for what time the selections will be announced? And how far back does this surprise go? Is Claude Provost finally going to get his just reward?

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada

Likely won't be until 8 pm tonight at the latest. Or they probably already announced it but won't head to the press with it until between 3 and 5 pm. at the earliest.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
andreydali19 said:
Likely won't be until 8 pm tonight at the latest. Or they probably already announced it but won't head to the press with it until between 3 and 5 pm. at the earliest.

I think they try to make the 6pm TV newscasts so it should happne this afternoon.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
cup2006sensrule said:
I think they try to make the 6pm TV newscasts so it should happne this afternoon.
Actually, after asking the question, I went onto the HHOF website. They said inductions will be announced at around 3:30 p.m. EST, which is less than an hour away.

After reading ClassicHockey's earlier posts, I've got it narrowed down to about 10 players who could be that "surprise" pick. (I've ruled out Provost).

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Think the same era as Provost.

God Bless Canada said:
Actually, after asking the question, I went onto the HHOF website. They said inductions will be announced at around 3:30 p.m. EST, which is less than an hour away.

After reading ClassicHockey's earlier posts, I've got it narrowed down to about 10 players who could be that "surprise" pick. (I've ruled out Provost).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ClassicHockey said:
Did you have Dick Duff on your list?

Patrick Roy
Harley Hotchkiss
Herb Brooks

Can't say that I know a whole lot about Duff, but taking a look at his bio and stats, looks to be an extremely weak pick.

Barely over 1/2 point per game
7 time all-star but never a 1st or 2nd team all-star post season selection
Never scored 30 goals

Twice won the Stanley Cup

Not to knock Hotchkiss, but wondering how much him being a member of the board member of the HHoF for the last 7 years helped him.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
John Flyers Fan said:
Can't say that I know a whole lot about Duff, but taking a look at his bio and stats, looks to be an extremely weak pick.

Barely over 1/2 point per game
7 time all-star but never a 1st or 2nd team all-star post season selection
Never scored 30 goals

Twice won the Stanley Cup

Think he has 6 Stanley Cup rings. He was a very gritty player, 100% heart, kind of like Mike Peca. And keep in mind he played in an era when a point a game player was a super-star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->