Up comming World Hockey Championships

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
here is a list of all the channels you can watch the WORLD HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIIPS

Algeria: ART, Sport+
Australia: Eurosport Asia
Austria: ORF, TW 1
Bahrain: ART
Belarus: BTRC
Belgium: BE TV
Benin: Sport+
Burkina Faso: Sport+
Burundi: Sport+
Cameroon: Sport+
Canada TSN, RDS, various (news)
Central African Republic: Sport+
Chad: Sport+
Congo: Sport+
Czech Republic: Czech TV, NOVA TV (news)
Denmark: TV3, TV3+, DR (news), TV2 (news)
Djibouti: ART, Sport+
DOM-TOM: Sport+
Egypt: ART
Eritrea: ART
Estonia: TV3
Finland: YLE (Finnish), YLE (Swedish), MTV 3 (news)
France: Sport+
Gabon: Sport+
Gambia: Sport+
Germany: DSF, ARD (news/highlights), ZDF (news/highlights)
Guinea: Sport+
Hungary: Sport 1
Iceland: RUV
Iran: ART
Iraq: ART
Italy (North): ORF (news), TW 1
Ivory Coast: Sport+
Jordan: ART
Kazakhstan: KHABAR TV
Kuwait: ART
Latvia: TV3, LTV (news)
Lebanon: ART
Libya: ART
Lithuania: TV3
Madagascar: Sport+
Mali: Sport+
Mauritania: ART
Monaco: Sport+
Morocco ART, Sport+
Niger: Sport+
Norway: NRK, SportN, TV2 (news)
Oman: ART
Palestinian Territories: ART
Poland: Polsat
Qatar: ART
Romania: RTVR, TELESPORT
Russia: RTR - SPORT, RTR- ROSSIJA
Saudi Arabia: ART
Senegal: Sport+
Serbia & Montenegro: SPORT KLUB SERBIA
Slovak Republic: STV
Slovenia: RTVSLO, INFO TV (news)
Somalia: ART
Spain: TVE (Teledeporte)
Sudan: ART
Sweden: TV3, VIASAT SPORT, SVT (news), TV 4 (news)
Switzerland: SRG-DRS (German), SRG-TSR (French), SRG-TSI (Italian)
Syria: ART
Togo: Sport+
Tunisia: ART, Sport+
Ukraine: INTER TV, 1+1 (news)
United Arab Emirates: ART
Yemen: ART
Worldwide Deutsche Welle: (news), +B7, RTR - PLANETA SPORT (news), RTR - PLANETA (news)

Looks like you can go just about anywhere in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD EXCEPT this great country called the united states of america and watch the WC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Welcome to the U.S. Where money rules and the media hates hockey.

Not to mention it's an international sporting event. Besides soccer, Americans probably don't realize sports are played in other countries.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Totally absurd, but that's what we'll get until the NHL Network comes to the US. Hopefully that will show us some of the games...one can only hope.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Welcome to the U.S. Where money rules and the media hates hockey.

Not to mention it's an international sporting event. Besides soccer, Americans probably don't realize sports are played in other countries.

Exactly, why watch people from other countries play a great sport when we can watch the Arena Football League and Professional Bull Riding!

Jazz

IHWC games will be broadcast online in the US.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=300162

“The IIHF is pleased to have the 2007-2009 IIHF World Championships broadcasted on TV and online in the USA. We consider this a great opportunity to expand the audience for our flagship event in one of the biggest ice hockey markets in the world,†said IIHF President René Fasel.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great for you guys!

The WCH is a very good hockey event IMO. After following it for a while you will love it. Odds are that your favorite team won't be playing at the time, for me the WCH have often come in as a "light" option to finnish the hockey year. After all the tension following my team in the NHL the WCH is more fun, and less -- I am not finding a good word here but kind of -- hatred so to speak. All teams goes pretty far, then its decided in 5 days or something and 3 games.

The level of is often very entertaining, I always love the new constalations that you see every year. Through the years it have been Sellane-Koivu, it can be Forsberg with Sundin on his right, Thornton-Nash, Gaborik-Demitra, Vyborny-Jagr just to name a few. Its also a thing of beauty at times to watch one nation play when everyone ends up on the same page, every 3rd year or something its like one team really peaks and then it can be like watching 18 Sedins on the ice, everyone pulls in the same direction.

While the tempo is far from the NHL, the pace is tremendous. You only really notice it when one team got a slower player on their roster, you must got great speed to skate in a WCH.

Looking at the WCH its also without a doubt the place for breakouts for European players. All the late round picks who have become stars in the NHL really broke up and gained confidence in the WCH. Every year there is someone who breaks through and plays great, lately Lundqvist and Mezaros are two who played great there, that Belarussian on Montreal starred several years in the WCH. Kopitar played there.

For me NHL is life, the WCH is real candy, as long as the Swedes finnish ahead of the finns that is... ;)

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
According to that article from the Hurricanes website, the tourney will be shown on WCSN (World Championship Sports Network), is that channel available for everyone in the US?

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yes! We can watch cars drive in circles for hours on end, LPGA golf, poker, bull riding, fishing, and endless amounts of other crappy entertainment but no world championship of hockey. Typical - I hate our American media....

mowrymel

Apr 10, 2007
I've been watching WCSN.com in the U.S. -- I think it's blocked everywhere else though. Coverage is really good and the games are usually posted a couple of hours after playing live. AND it's only $4.95 which is really inexpensive considering that you get 56 games and you can watch them as many times as you want.

I think the highlights are free: http://web.wcsn.com/competition/index.jsp?sid=34029 (on the right side of the page)

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I've been watching WCSN.com in the U.S. -- I think it's blocked everywhere else though. Coverage is really good and the games are usually posted a couple of hours after playing live. AND it's only $4.95 which is really inexpensive considering that you get 56 games and you can watch them as many times as you want.

I think the highlights are free: http://web.wcsn.com/competition/index.jsp?sid=34029 (on the right side of the page)

How do you watch them as many times as you want- just curious. And also the 4.95 is correct but unless you notify them to discontinue your membership, you will automatically be billed 4.95 every month- so beware if you don't want watch anything beyond the World Championships. And also, the games are on at 8am and noon eastern time so if you work normal business times you will miss them unless there is some way to tape them or you can see them at work. (By the way is there some way to tape them?)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't think it's an anti-hockey thing as much as no one cares for these type of events. Baseball is huge here and international baseball events get zero coverage. The World Championships for Basketabll get some press but only because the US has been sucking. It is also plaed at a different time than the sports top pro league championship. The World Championships are already a secondary tournament in the hockey world as they are played at the same time as the Stanley Cup playoffs.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
I don't think it's an anti-hockey thing as much as no one cares for these type of events. Baseball is huge here and international baseball events get zero coverage. The World Championships for Basketabll get some press but only because the US has been sucking. It is also plaed at a different time than the sports top pro league championship. The World Championships are already a secondary tournament in the hockey world as they are played at the same time as the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Exactly- it is just so bizarre that they are played the same time as the Stanley Cup playoffs- especially for this side of the ocean. I would imagine even in Canada the ratings are not that great- maybe when they get to the medal round or the gold medal game if Canada is in it then the ratings will probably be pretty good but otherwise this is just a secondary tournament at a real bad time. These type tourneys should be held in Sept. where there is nothing to conflict with them and people are really starting to miss hockey and this would start to get them in the mood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->