Speculation: Untradable assets

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Assets include roster players, prospects and draft picks.

You can list 5 assets in descending order.

My list is:

1)Larkin: After watching him at the Worlds' my faith is restored that he will be our #1 centre in a yr. or 2. Untouchable
2)Mantha: He is a natural goal scorer. Add this to his size, and I can easily forsee a decade of 30-35+ goals a yr. Untouchable
3)2018 1st. Just in case we miss the playoffs again next season. Untouchable
4)Mrazek: Was once an untouchable, but for the right deal, I am willing to make a deal.
5)AA: Would love to keep him, but he attracts a lot of attention from a lot of other teams.

Looking for other fans input. Thx in advance.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Assets include roster players, prospects and draft picks.

You can list 5 assets in descending order.

My list is:

1)Larkin: After watching him at the Worlds' my faith is restored that he will be our #1 centre in a yr. or 2. Untouchable
2)Mantha: He is a natural goal scorer. Add this to his size, and I can easily forsee a decade of 30-35+ goals a yr. Untouchable
3)2018 1st. Just in case we miss the playoffs again next season. Untouchable
4)Mrazek: Was once an untouchable, but for the right deal, I am willing to make a deal.
5)AA: Would love to keep him, but he attracts a lot of attention from a lot of other teams.

Looking for other fans input. Thx in advance.

Untouchable:
1) Larkin (He is the type of player you win championships with. I think he'll at least be a solid #2 center down the line, but he drive makes me still think he could be a #1.

Unlikely to Trade:
2) Mantha (Basically we'd have to be getting a heck of a dman in return or center. If Clb loses there mind and say is willing to give up Werenski for him, I'd do it in a second. I firmly believe he is going to be a consistent 35-40 goal scorer in this league, but if you can get an equiv center or dman you do it.

3) Mrazek (I'd trade him for a top pair dman of equivalent age, but that is about it. He's going to be a star in this league, but again its dmen not goalies that typically win you championships in this league)

4) Hronek (I think this kid is going to be great, so I'd really only trade him if we could get a better dman in a package. He's the only dman in our system that I'm pretty certain will be a top 3 dman in the future)

5) AA (I love AA, but the flaws in his game are big. I question if he is a building block piece. Right now I feel like he's a guy that helps put a championship team over the edge, but the Wings aren't going to be that for quite awhile.

Draft Picks: 1st rounders would be hard for me to deal, but I will always take a known asset over an unknown. I would definitely deal the 2017 for a good young dman, and I'd be tempted to deal 2018 if the price were right. I would definitely wait until we see where we are picking in 2018 though before dealing. Don't want to make a Kessel type of deal, and lose out on Baby Svech of Dahlin.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
1. Mantha: Big guy, can score goals. We need goals.
2. Larkin: Our only potential prospect who has #1C potential. Can't lose him.
3. Hronek: OUR D SUCKS!
4. Mrazek: I still have hopes for Mrazek. Can't lose him.
5. Svechnikov: Also big guy, plays gritty game, Can score goals.
6. Athanasiou: Speed, speed, speed. Can score goals.

I had to name 6 players.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In Theory: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If an irresistible offer came along, that I was convinced would improve the long-term success of the franchise, they're isn't a single player, prospect, or pick that I would patently refuse to consider dealing.

In Practice: A few resources would require a deal so good to unload, that there's almost zero chance at it ever materializing. So in that vein, I'd say:

2018 1st rounder
Mantha
2018 2nd rounder
Larkin
2017 1st rounder

But I still hate to even go that far, because the "untouchables" mentality with retaining roster players is part of what got Detroit where they are.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
1. Mantha: Big guy, can score goals. We need goals.
2. Larkin: Our only potential prospect who has #1C potential. Can't lose him.
3. Hronek: OUR D SUCKS!
4. Mrazek: I still have hopes for Mrazek. Can't lose him.
5. Svechnikov: Also big guy, plays gritty game, Can score goals.
6. Athanasiou: Speed, speed, speed. Can score goals.

I had to name 6 players.
This.

Build the future around that core, simple as that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only player on this team who deserves to be considered untouchable is Henrik Zetterberg, who should retire playing his whole career for the Wings.

There are several young players I'd trade Larkin for. There are several young players I'd trade Mantha for.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
In Theory: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If an irresistible offer came along, that I was convinced would improve the long-term success of the franchise, they're isn't a single player, prospect, or pick that I would patently refuse to consider dealing.

In Practice: A few resources would require a deal so good to unload, that there's almost zero chance at it ever materializing. So in that vein, I'd say:

2018 1st rounder
Mantha
2018 2nd rounder
Larkin
2017 1st rounder

But I still hate to even go that far, because the "untouchables" mentality with retaining roster players is part of what got Detroit where they are.

You raise valid points about an irresistible offers but I just don't see any deal involving either Larkin and/or Mantha for a top 10 #1 dman or a top 10 #1 centre.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
The only player on this team who deserves to be considered untouchable is Henrik Zetterberg, who should retire playing his whole career for the Wings.

There are several young players I'd trade Larkin for. There are several young players I'd trade Mantha for.

Who might they be????

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Who might they be????

There's 3 from Toronto, 2 from EDM, 3 from Buffalo... the list would be long. If Gretzky can be traded then Larkin/Mantha can be traded. Not saying teams would come out and offer something crazy but if Buffalo called and offered Eichel there wouldn't be anything "untouchable."

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Obviously no one should be actually untouchable. But there's definitely some pieces that I'd want a piece back that other teams would never move and if they did they could probably do better than whatever we'd be able to offer. These guys are functionally untouchable. So here's my list:
1. 2018 first. Next year's draft looks insane and assuming nothing crazy happens this will be a top ten pick. Hopefully that'll turn into an elite player.
2. Larkin: I'm still worried that he's not the player We were hoping but he's our only player with any hope of playing top 6 C long term.
3. Mantha: the guy is huge and can score. Personally I think he has the highest upside of anyone in the organization.
4. 2017 first: this pick better turn into a very good player. We really need it to.
5. Mrazek: the supposed goalie of the future stumbled out of the gate, but he's still got elite potential IMO and we need to give him every chance to find his footing before we move him. If he continues to struggle long term he'll get moved off this list.
I don't see another team offering enough to pry Hronek, AA or Svech away but I guess there are feasible situations where I'd move those guys.

Last edited:

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I would trade any player in the organization for Jonathan Drouin if the rumors that he is available are true.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You raise valid points about an irresistible offers but I just don't see any deal involving either Larkin and/or Mantha for a top 10 #1 dman or a top 10 #1 centre.

well, you'd have to look for a guy like Hamilton who isn't a #1 at the time of the deal, but you can project out for them. We'd have to get a bit lucky in finding a team that simultaneously undervalued some of their own assets while over-valued ours, which would be quite the match.

Our untradable assets: Howard, Helm, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Kronwall, Ericsson. In a literal sense.

This is where I thought the thread was going to go when I saw the title, and agree with your list. At least Kronwall only has a couple of years left, though it kills me a bit to see his career wind down like this. Guy has been a great Wing. Howard's down to just a couple of years, too.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
There's 3 from Toronto, 2 from EDM, 3 from Buffalo... the list would be long. If Gretzky can be traded then Larkin/Mantha can be traded. Not saying teams would come out and offer something crazy but if Buffalo called and offered Eichel there wouldn't be anything "untouchable."

Gretzky was sold. They just called it a trade by throwing in McSorley and a couple of others.

You do have a valid point that Larkin isn't untouchable. I'd trade him for someone like McDavid or Karlsson in an instant.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My five picks:

1. Larkin. We have nothing besides him as far as top six center for the future.
2. Mantha: besides him, we have no genuine goal scoring wingers of his stature.
3. Zetterberg: realistically, Kenny isn't dealing him unless we are getting Eric Karlsson or Tarasenko in return, neither of which will haopen ever.
4. AA: I like the kid. He's got speed, and we don't have a whole bunch of shoot first guys on the team, especially without Vanek.
5. Frans Nielsen: without him and Z, either Riley Sheahan or Darren Helm becomes our second line center. That would suck.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
With the title of untradable I expected to read this thread and see names like Kronwall, Howard, etc. Untouchable is a better term.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If I have to do 5

1. Zetterberg (but since it's probably a given I'll say Larkin)

2. Mantha

3. Mrazek (don't trade him unless he sucks with an actual dcore)

4. AA (his potential is high and I need to fill 5)

5. Hronek/Svech (if he becomes a center)

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Untouchable: 18' 1st, Zetterberg

Player(s) who I would consider trading but teams probably wouldn't give me what I want: Larkin, Mantha
Player(s) who I would trade for a solid part coming back: Everyone else. Mrazek and Anthanasiou are at the top of the list if I'm looking to get the best return. Followed up by Green.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Gretzky was sold. They just called it a trade by throwing in McSorley and a couple of others.

You do have a valid point that Larkin isn't untouchable. I'd trade him for someone like McDavid or Karlsson in an instant.

Larkin is realistically untouchable.

Any trade that makes sense for you to give up Larkin is for a piece that will simply not be moved by the other team. Any player they're okay with giving up for Larkin isn't worth what Larkin is worth to the Red Wings.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The correct answer is that there is absolutely nothing that is off the table. We do not have a Nick Lidstrom, a Sid Crosby or a Connor McDavid. We are not getting one with the #9 draft pick. However that obscures the larger issue which is that Ken Holland is not going to make a major trade so it's an entirely moot discussion. In theory though, there should be no sacred cows since this franchise is in need of so much talent. If you could trade Larkin for a slam dunk #1 d-man you do that trade every single time. If you can trade Anthony Mantha for a slam dunk #1 center you do that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Larkin is realistically untouchable.

Any trade that makes sense for you to give up Larkin is for a piece that will simply not be moved by the other team. Any player they're okay with giving up for Larkin isn't worth what Larkin is worth to the Red Wings.
While I don't disagree that the Wings feel that way, I personally wouldn't have a problem dealing him away. I think it will take a lot of work just to get him as a consistent 2C, and it's just as likely that he never rises past essentially being the next Nyquist or Tatar (in terms of level of impact).

On paper, I'd package Larkin and 9 overall for a guy like Trouba, and not flinch. But with how much help the roster needs, and how long it will likely take, hoarding picks is probably the more prudent approach.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who might they be????

Trouba, Theodore, Slavin, Hanifin, Murray,

Prospects - Sanheim, Sergachev, Chabot

Some of these guys I might also ask for a pick and/or prospect, depending. Some we would have to add. Some are risky. Probably would trade Mantha before Larkin. Then there's a bunch of young centers I could probably be talked into as well.

Point being, these guys shouldn't be viewed as untouchable. They haven't earned that.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
While I don't disagree that the Wings feel that way, I personally wouldn't have a problem dealing him away. I think it will take a lot of work just to get him as a consistent 2C, and it's just as likely that he never rises past essentially being the next Nyquist or Tatar (in terms of level of impact).

On paper, I'd package Larkin and 9 overall for a guy like Trouba, and not flinch. But with how much help the roster needs, and how long it will likely take, hoarding picks is probably the more prudent approach.

Well, yeah... that's what I'm saying. I'm okay with trading him if we get something good for him. However, the things we would consider a good return for Larkin are things that the other team would have little interest in. Trouba is now pretty much a 1/2D. Those guys don't get moved. Fans can bleat till they're blue in the face about how it's fair value, but teams don't generally give up their top pairing D unless it's an absolute no-brainer going the other way. And Larkin + 9OA isn't that for Trouba.

That's why I said realistically. Larkin + 9OA for Trouba isn't happeneing. Just like Larkin for Calvin DeHaan isn't happening. He's in that middle ground where you'd deal him or package him for a huge upgrade (the kind of trade that very rarely happens) and hang onto him instead of a mid-ground trade.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
There isn't a single player in the DRW organization that i wouldn't be willing to trade.

It's full of top six tweeners and 4-5 defenseman. Hardly worth holding onto for dear life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad