WWE: Unsurprisingly, WWE is getting desperate: The Rock and Undertaker to work more?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- We noted recently that the WWE Shop website moved The Rock to the "current" roster from the Alumni roster. There has also been speculation that he may be returning as WWE gets desperate for a ratings boost.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that WWE's promotions department has been told that The Rock and company officials are having serious talks about doing something together before the end of this year.

Another top Superstar open to working more with WWE this year is The Undertaker. Taker is said to be open to working more dates this year than years past but it would probably only be special dates, besides the Mexico tour later this month. Taker is reportedly in a lot better physical shape because he's fully healed from injuries and surgeries.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

And Randy Orton is looking for time off again.

This company just doesn't ****ing get it. Quick little bandaid on the problem that's going to fall and the problem will still be there rather than taking the time to fix the cracks in the foundation.

They should be using this time, and Cena's absence, to build up some credible new upper mid-carders and main eventers and run with them. Instead, they want to bring in 2 40-year-olds to quickly fix the problem (and if Lesnar isn't a ratings boost, what makes them think Undertaker will be? Rock might do a small boost). This company just doesn't get it. I don't understand how a business can be run this way.

"The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." These guys are insane.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully these guys are smart and understand people need to get put over since Cena isn't doing it.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

And Randy Orton is looking for time off again.

This company just doesn't ****ing get it. Quick little bandaid on the problem that's going to fall and the problem will still be there rather than taking the time to fix the cracks in the foundation.

They should be using this time, and Cena's absence, to build up some credible new upper mid-carders and main eventers and run with them. Instead, they want to bring in 2 40-year-olds to quickly fix the problem (and if Lesnar isn't a ratings boost, what makes them think Undertaker will be? Rock might do a small boost). This company just doesn't get it. I don't understand how a business can be run this way.

"The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." These guys are insane.

You mean a 40-year-old and a 50-year-old. :)

Oct 18, 2011
It's always cool when the rock returns, but this does not address the long term issues whatsoever

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'll enjoy a Rock return regardless but he needs to put over someone who isn't established this time around if he comes back. How wild would it be to have a Rock-KO match and KO wins?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'll enjoy a Rock return regardless but he needs to put over someone who isn't established this time around if he comes back.

Vince would veto in a heartbeat.

The Rock would absolutely do such a thing. But I have zero faith in WWE building upon that if it were to actually happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Rock was aligned with Reigns against the Wyatt Family if he is brought back this year. He'll be back at wrestlemania anyway..likely against Triple H

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Vince would veto in a heartbeat.

The Rock would absolutely do such a thing. But I have zero faith in WWE building upon that if it were to actually happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Rock was aligned with Reigns against the Wyatt Family if he is brought back this year. He'll be back at wrestlemania anyway..likely against Triple H

I like Rock, but it would be infuriating if he comes back just to bury the Wyatts, but it's too much of a Vince move not to happen.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
WTF would The Rock come back?

I just don't get it. The guy has already cost himself roles when he got hurt in the second Mania match. He doesn't need the promotion. He's the biggest action star in the world.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I just don't get it. The guy has already cost himself roles when he got hurt in the second Mania match. He doesn't need the promotion. He's the biggest action star in the world.

Because he can. That's the only reason.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Yet Taker couldn't be bothered to show up to hype the HIAC(which he's main-eventing). As for Rock, now's a good time to start something between him and Reigns.

S A W F T*

Yet Taker couldn't be bothered to show up to hype the HIAC(which he's main-eventing). As for Rock, now's a good time to start something between him and Reigns.

The Rock returning as a heel would be fun in my little world.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
So, WWE has problems because they still give us the same old washed up wrestlers and somehow think it's going to improve by feeding us more washed up wrestlers. Makes sense.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There is no doubt in my mind that Punk knew the crowd would **** all over Rock beating him w/ the people's elbow. I love Rock, but he doesn't necessarily put anyone over, nor should he.

Love the guy and am very entertained by him, but I want the part-timers to stop. I want to grow the brand and have good shows much liek NXT. NXT was built with strong moves and good shows. It takes time.

Oct 18, 2011

Money, even though the rock is already loaded maybe he views it as giving back to the business.

They need to do both. Taker, Brock, Rock can add to the show, but you need to give the right full-timers their due as well.

For starters give your champ a better damn program, and use your IC champ more.
the problem is the young talent doesn't get to separate itself......look what happened with kevin owens, WWE had a chance to make an immediate top flight heel main eventer but because nobody can ever get the best of cena, owens is now in purgatory and has had most of his promo time(his best asset) taken away.

there is no long term thinking, what happened with owens was inexplicable when they decided to have him beat cena in his first match, he should have won the last match and he'd be made. cena did not need to win the feud plain and simple, he's bullet proof yet WWE treats him with kid gloves

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is no doubt in my mind that Punk knew the crowd would **** all over Rock beating him w/ the people's elbow. I love Rock, but he doesn't necessarily put anyone over, nor should he.

Love the guy and am very entertained by him, but I want the part-timers to stop. I want to grow the brand and have good shows much liek NXT. NXT was built with strong moves and good shows. It takes time.

I don't remember the crowd turning on the finish but my memory could be fuzzy and I'm a Rock mark. But I think Rock should be the central figure of a story between him and a full time guy based on this very issue of part-timers vs. full-timers. I think it could be a real moneymaker with an opportunity to vault a full-timer to Cena's level using Rock to put him over. The Cena-Rock feud was a lot of that but nobody who that story would appeal to was going to cheer Cena.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The fans never really turned on The Rock. Obviously there were the vocal males who were on Punk's side, but it was never really 50/50. Fans turned on The Rock only because he shook and raised Cena's hand after Wrestlemania and then flew home and didn't show up on the post-WM Raw. He was never completely turned on.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The fans never really turned on The Rock. Obviously there were the vocal males who were on Punk's side, but it was never really 50/50. Fans turned on The Rock only because he shook and raised Cena's hand after Wrestlemania and then flew home and didn't show up on the post-WM Raw. He was never completely turned on.

And he did that to have surgery if I'm right.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Rock is the WWE's MVP (Even above Brock) when it comes to the media and bringing exposure to the brand. The problem is that they never capitalize by putting on entertaining television AFTER he has appeared. They will have a big opportunity to capitalize if Ronda Rousey appears at WrestleMania again this year, but they need to follow that up with engaging television on the following Raw and beyond. They are really running out of options barring Austin coming back to draw new/old viewers in that will care about the product.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I will always mark for the Rock. I would watch a 3 hour show even if he was just cutting promos the whole time. He flushes ore charisma down the toilet ever day than the entire roster has combined.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Im curious what will happen when WWE reaches out to these guys and they just flat out stop coming back. They may have to put some new people in there, but we can't have that....

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So, WWE has problems because they still give us the same old washed up wrestlers and somehow think it's going to improve by feeding us more washed up wrestlers. Makes sense.

Albert Einstein once described insanity as the notion of repeating the same action & expecting a different result. Vaas Montenegro would refer to this in Farcry 3. At this point, Vaas appears to be more sane than Vince McMahon.

Building your company around part-timers hurts you in two ways; it makes your audience not give a crap about your full-time roster because they realize the guys who travel year-round must bow to those who show up for a few weeks, & you can only go to that concept for so long before the well dries up. And it already has.

It sucks when your full-time champion is stuck in an angle where he's dealing with a guy who has a split personality disorder & Big Show is still on top, while your Cesaros, Kevin Owenses, your Barretts, & even your Luke Harpers are made to look like goofs all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->