Proposal: Unsigned Erik Karlsson to Edmonton

Is this trade fair?

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Exactly...its going to be VERY pick heavy with a grade A prospect
Absolutely. I can’t believe sens fans are denying some of this stuff. Like look at Pronger, that’s the only comparable for Karlsson really. And he sure as hell didn’t fetch a top 4 damn, a top 6 forward, an A grade prospect, a top 10 pick, and even more

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Absolutely. I can’t believe sens fans are denying some of this stuff. Like look at Pronger, that’s the only comparable for Karlsson really. And he sure as hell didn’t fetch a top 4 damn, a top 6 forward, an A grade prospect, a top 10 pick, and even more

The Pronger trades were different too because he was never nearing a UFA status... We can compare the Pronger trades if Ottawa resigns Karlsson first before trading him.

I'm looking back on the trade between Edmonton and St. Louis to bring Pronger here and something doesn't add up contract wise...

The trade went down August 2nd, 2005 and Edmonton signed him August 3rd,2005 to a 5 year deal.
Pronger had to be a RFA for this to make sense right? I just can't find anywhere saying he was..

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Is it fair? Yeah. Does it excite me as a sens fan? I mean, not really.

I doubt he gets traded unsigned. Everyone says "sign and trades never happen", and they don't often. But trading of franchise players also never happen. If Edmonton is giving up a lot of assets, they want the guarantee.

I also don't really see a scenario where Karlsson goes to EDM without one of Draisaitl or RNH being the main piece coming back.

Even then, I never understood when some say sign and trades never happen. There's too much emphasis on words sign (1st) then trade. There's plenty of examples where a player was traded and literally 15 minutes later, it was announced that X player signed a 5 years extension with his new team. To me, that's a sign & trade... call it trade & sign if you want... the fact remains the acquiring team pays value on a signed player.

Do people really believe there wasn't pre-talk before the trade is announced!? It doesn't take 10 minutes to negociate an extension.

Same could happen to Pacioretty. It protects the acquiring team. For Karlsson? that's a must no doubt

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Even then, I never understood when some say sign and trades never happen. There's too much emphasis on words sign (1st) then trade. There's plenty of examples where a player was traded and literally 15 minutes later, it was announced that X player signed a 5 years extension with his new team. To me, that's a sign & trade... call it trade & sign if you want... the fact remains the acquiring team pays value on a signed player.

Do people really believe there wasn't pre-talk before the trade is announced!? It doesn't take 10 minutes to negociate an extension.

Same could happen to Pacioretty. It protects the acquiring team. For Karlsson? that's a must no doubt
Nice to see a voice of sanity in a cesspool of misinformation.

Reactions: Hardworker33

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Lol at this package not 'exciting' the Sens fans... Karlsson signed or unsigned isnt returning half of this.

Lol the offer is junk. Edmonton has nothing to offer except Draisaitl and McDavid. So unless Leon is part of the package, see ya later.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Fair, despite Ottawa fans wanting Drai.
I would have to agree with them.
I just can't see the Oilers extending Karlsson; keeping Draisaitl/McDavid on the roster and icing a balanced forward line up(even with him it's ugly).

?- McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - RNH-Puljujarvi
Cagguila - Strome - Kassian
Aberg - Khaira - ?

Nurse - Karlsson
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell

Benning has some trade value and so does the 10th 0A pick to fill in the wing. I'd love to see Lucic and Russells(keep Benning) contracts magically disappear though

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
sounds like a really big risk. Why would you trade this package for an unsigned.........anyone?
If Edmonton does not improve next season with Karlsson, would he resign there?
He wouldn't re-sign there even if they did win, it is Edmonton. Would be funny though if they did for like $12M a year. McDavid, Draisaitl, Karlsson, Talbot, and borderline AHLers to fill out the roster due to cap.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He wouldn't re-sign there even if they did win, it is Edmonton. Would be funny though if they did for like $12M a year. McDavid, Draisaitl, Karlsson, Talbot, and borderline AHLers to fill out the roster due to cap.
Not every team can be lucky enough to sign Brouwer and Jagr :eyesroll:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I hear Yakupov is available.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I keep seeing these insane offers and sens fans are never happy with them.

Can’t wait to see what really happens.
We're not happy? He's the best player in our franchise's history and is a top 5 player in the world. Sorry for not liking the fact we're kinda forced to trade him.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Pretty sure none of this discussion matters. Karlsson is unlikely to waive his NTC to go to Edmonton. He wants to be "the guy" and won't be with McDavid there.
it would be interesting though to see which of these GMs can screw this up. I mean Larson for Hall suggests Karlsson could get McDavid and the Duschene trade suggests Edm could get 5 or 6 pieces for RNH.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If anyone thinks that a team would trade the best Defensmen in the league to the team with the best player in the league they’re an idiot.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
There's no cap space when 3 bums on the oilers roster is combined for 16 Million for years to come.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
There IS no unsigned Karlsson trade. To believe that would happen is just naïve.

An asset as valuable as Karlsson isn't something you chance free agency with, and Edmonton isn't THAT dumb to trade for him unless he's already agreed, in principal, to sign.

The forums are full of this 'his value is lower because he's an upcoming free agent' and 'Sens will accept less because it's better than losing him for nothing' nonsense. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of how transactions like this nature are handled so profound, it makes me question what exactly people think happens on big trades.

Soooooo. If Karlsson will not agree in principal to an extension then Ottawa is keeping him and letting him go to free agency? Interesting idea. Not smart but interesting.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You stated the Sens have no control.

You are wrong.

Karlsson, if traded, will be a sign and trade or trade and sign that has been pre negotiated, so the price paid will reflect his full value.

Again for you Sens fans that think they are in control. What if Karlsson will not agree to that? What if he says he is going to free agency period? So if he will not do a trade and sign then what? You keep him and let him walk for nothing.
So to wrap this up for you........ The Sens have no control

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
if Karlsson agrees to waive his NMC for here, that is a good indication that he would re-sign (not a guarantee though)

Or its a good indication he does not care much where he goes for one year as long as its out of Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad