Line Combos: Unrelated to Eakins (or MacT)

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Eakins is a whole other story and already has many threads with discussions about his roster and the ability to get a team out into a lead. Also, there is something going on about using Visually in the GDT so I just feel like the threads needed one post without it :p:

Why I want to discuss some line combinations is just to help our team be more balanced. We should definitely model ourselves after the Kings (without Kopitar's recent slump). Maybe he just got used to playing with Gaborik and then slowed down but that's besides the point.

To many players on our team always make 'highlight reel' moves. It ends up going the other way a lot if not most of the time and with an odd man rush. We need a guy coming through behind and try some of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim moves :sarcasm:

Not maybe a kids game or junior game but just play as a team over a long term and more success will come than failure. Less trying to do it alone, so I would propose something along the lines of (mind you I would have Nurse playing and Draisaitl to Jrs and the WJRs):

Actually one last thought before I begin. I think Eberle is known in the NHL for his backhand. That is the reason for my most major change on the roster to play LW where he can use it for a chip shot out of his own zone if defending high which we need more of as a team overall.

Eberle-Arcobello-Yakupov
Hall-RNH-Purcell (insert Pouliot if no chemistry when he's back)
Perron-Gordon-Pinizzotto
Hendricks-Draisaitl-Pitlick (Hendricks in because he's DTD)
Gazdic in for games you need toughness, especially if other LW's are hurt

I would probably put a guy like Jason Williams or Anton Lander in to let Draisaitl develop more, he is already come along. The results will be there in a few short months.

Now the defence. Where to begin. Can you believe these guys will probably also give away Jeff Petry at the deadline (sooner for full tank, like to keep Eakins around).

A few comments, we have our Captain Ference. He is 35, some people need to chill out a bit. He should be playing down the lineup a bit and playing a leadership role. Cup winner - needs some respect in the room for sure.
Nikitin, too early to say a completely bad signing. 25 games in hasn't gone great, but it wasn't good before he got here either. I think he needs some major work on flexibility or something. Looks kind of stiff our there. Have to have him up the lineup. I have actually seen a move or two I liked, it allows him to come wider coming back to defend if he loses the puck (enter from the left).
Fayne, so far so good. I actually don't notice him much on the ice and that's a good thing.
I personally like Marincin, but I think the Oilers see him as a trading chip. Too bad they never see things the way I do and trade away some of the best players. The last decade especially has seen a lot of players improve elsewhere.
Klefbom also looks good, visually :naughty:

Marincin-Fayne
Nikitin-Schultz (these players switch on the ice if there is a turnover so Schultz can have his stick in the middle of the ice versus the defender, in our case recently defenders)
Klefbom-Petry

In this case I think the top pair and bottom pair could be switched for EV strength icetime depending on who's playing better (i.e. more incentive). PP can have more of Klefbom and Fayne. Use Schultz as a forward on the halfwall second unit.

Jul 19, 2012
I actually do not think it matters what our line combinations are. So long as we have a 19 year old on training wheels and an AHL player as our 2/3 centremen, soft as **** wingers in the top 9, no 1/2 D pairing, a 5/6 that would be a 7/8 on 25 other teams, our top D who doesn't know how to actually play D, and 2 goaltenders that would be 2/3 on most other teams line combo threads to me are completely a waste of time. With all due respect.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Honestly I don't know why they haven't tried Arcobello between Hall and Eberle. It worked in the AHL during the lockout and Arcobello may not be the best offensively in the NHL but he's not a liability out there either and Hall is going to carry whatever line he is on. So go with that and then let RNH centre another line. Put him with Perron and either Yakupov or Purcell, whichever you want.

It could balance your lineup a bit and maybe spread some of the scoring around and make it harder for other teams to match up etc etc.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
What can I say. I agree it would be amazing better players on the team, especially defense and #1/2 C.

I am saying we should not focus on scoring. We should focus as a team on defending first. Rely on instinct when you do get chances. That's where the talent helps. Not mid ice going 1 on 4.

Don't need our top players chasing career highs every year if every other team in the league can see that's what's happening.

Jul 19, 2012
Just go full on trap but I don't think our players would be disciplined to play it.

Personally I'd just pick names out of a hat before each game. It doesn't matter. Visually, we suck.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
For me, sign Chipchura. Suck it up with:

Hall - Gordon - Eberle
Drai - RNH - Yak
Perron - Chip/Arco - Purcell
Hend - Chip/Arco - Pinizotto
Gazdic

Klefbom - Petry
Nikitin - Fayne
Ference - Schultz

Draisaitl moved to the wing to give him some relief. He can take FO's periodically.

Chip can take some PK minutes off of Gordon and maybe he won't have an early heart attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad