Unreal Hockey Project - KHL game??

ficohok*

I just found this video

Seems there is a project to create KHL PC game??
Any details?
http://rhl-mod.ru/content/

I am big fan of NHL series on PC/XBOX360 and all manager hockey games, and would like to see KHL game as well :) Unfortunaetly I cant say if this is just KHL modification of older NHL versions or brand new game. Hope for the latter.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
If you play around with NHL09 mods a bit, you can already make a very good KHL game. With current teams, rosters, logos, jerseys, arenas and everything.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If you play around with NHL09 mods a bit, you can already make a very good KHL game. With current teams, rosters, logos, jerseys, arenas and everything.

unfortunatelly you dont have copyright ... EA Sports, you know :shakehead

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
I really wish the Russians would just sell the rights to EA sports again, I would play random KHL games from time to time if that were the case

Fulcrum

The fact that there's the word "mod" in the link, kind of gives away that it's a mod for a pc NHL game. ;)

The fact that this developement is based on the Unreal Engine 3 kind of gives it away as a new game, which it is. The lead developer has said it many times in the forum, which I'm guessing you can't read because it is in Russian. Don't be fooled by the Forum, which is originally mod based for NHL series.

What I gathered from 'scouting' the forum:
-It is an all new development/game based on Unreal Engine
-Open community development, all volunteers and no one gets paid (for now of course)
-KHL only in plans for now
-Progress is on the slow side. In a year, the team has modeled and textured an accurate Omsk arena, and a few other models. Not sure if there is any more progress to that though. Model looks pretty cool, but...
-They are still missing key developers (some C++ programmers as I understand).
-Animations will be made by hand using Max-3Ds. No fancy animation captures (who has the money for that really?) They can still look decent though, there are advantages and disadvantages to that
-Community is always looking for helpers with any applicable skills

I don't think KHL realizes just how big the PC gaming market is in Russia and just how much popularity would be gained by a Hockey sports game from this generation (not some old NHL 09 which is REALLY old now.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fulcrum

I really wish the Russians would just sell the rights to EA sports again, I would play random KHL games from time to time if that were the case

I just don't see KHL league being comfortable Under an NHL game title. That's like asking Ronald McDonald to be in a Burger King commercial. These aren't the RSL days where the Feds funded the league through the Hockey Federation.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
I just don't see KHL league being comfortable Under an NHL game title. That's like asking Ronald McDonald to be in a Burger King commercial. These aren't the RSL days where the Feds funded the league through the Hockey Federation.

You could brand it KHL in Russia if you want, All it would take is some different splash screens and a different cover.

Fulcrum

You could brand it KHL in Russia if you want, All it would take is some different splash screens and a different cover.

I think it's much more complicated than that, for EaSports for sure. Not just technically, but politically - between the NHL and KHL rights for example. Would NHL be happy about selling their rights to the company who is creating competition for them? Then there is the marketing, business feasibility for market in Russia. Even technically it's not just some splash screens, if you're Ea Sports and you want to actually sell it (to pirated Russia), it's a lot of work just for one league with absolutely no guarantee for returns. They have to re-create and re-brand everything in the game, including the whole marketing concept that the game is based on.

If KHL sponsored it, then it's more like a marketing tool that they control themselves and invest accordingly. Create their own series and not be dependant on Easports and their copyright obligations/favoritism towards NHL.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
While I agree it may be complicated, surely it's easier than trying to build your own game that is even remotely comparable

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If KHL sponsored it, then it's more like a marketing tool that they control themselves and invest accordingly. Create their own series and not be dependant on Easports and their copyright obligations/favoritism towards NHL.

would be great, but as I understand guys work as volunteers. Hope KHL will lure them as it did with Osadchenko, Dangle :yo:

Fulcrum

While I agree it may be complicated, surely it's easier than trying to build your own game that is even remotely comparable

Ye, but the community is not going to sit around waiting for the big guys to realize that. Might as well do something, who knows what's going to come out. I respect that

Fulcrum

Wasn't there another company that used to make hockey games besides EA? 2k, I think. What about them?

They were pretty good a (long) while ago, then it become some kind of an arcade game and they realized that EA was taking over and stopped trying.

Their hockey eng. is quiet far behind now.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
they folded the dev house, couldn't compete with the quality of the EA sports games

They did well until 2K8, then they fired the co-developer Kush Games and tried to create a new engine. I hear 2K9 wasn't that bad, but their funding was cut even more and focus moved to NBA and MLB series. If only the NBA crew could make a hockey game... Who knows what will happen in the next console generation though?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think any attempt to make a PC game with Russia as the main selling market is a huge mistake and a failbound idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad