Unless Russia reverses, I would not draft a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Shake*

in first 2 or 3 rounds ever again. As is, the first Russian didnt go until 3rd round this year. If another Ovechicken or Malkin turns up, I would trade the pick if I smelled even a hint of trouble getting him over.

This could hurt Russian players. The Russian teams wish to be greedy over a handful of elite players when they fail to see they will lose alot more money over the bulk of average players who will now be replaced by other countries players instead of being signed by NHL teams. So now instead of collecting fees on quite a few guys, you might only collect on a couple. Shortsighted and Dumb move by Russia. :shakehead

NHL teams dont need the headache Russia teams now provide.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Isn't Russia included in the new agreement between the IIHF and NHL? If that's the case this shouldn't really be an issue.

If I am right, why did the Russians fall so far in the draft this year? Was the class just weaker than anyone could have thought?

Master Shake*

cagney said:
Isn't Russia included in the new agreement between the IIHF and NHL? If that's the case this shouldn't really be an issue.

If I am right, why did the Russians fall so far in the draft this year? Was the class just weaker than anyone could have thought?

Russia has apparently rejected the deal.

The class might have been weak but I cant help but think this potential had alot to do with it.

Why invest a pick in a Russian when you can get a north american equivilant for free and without the headache of worrying if you can get him over.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't blame the russian teams for wanting a more fair deal, but when they start throwing around outrageous demands like $10 million as a transfer fee (if reports are to be believed) then it just gets stupid

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
No its not.

This is typical NA-though that the NHL controls all aspects of hockey. This is not true. The RSL is easily the second best league in the world, probably better than the AHL will be this year, and even easier the second richest. They have the money now. However, when a team spends lots of money finding, developing their next Kovalchuk, should they not ask for a high compensation? The NHL team will pay it for those elite talents. It would be stupid of the Russian teams not to ask. You think the NHL draft gives you complete control of any prospects contract?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
you think $10 mill is fair compensation? for a player that may be nothing in the NHL?

i could be wrong but i think only one team, or a few teams in the RSL, actually have a lot of money.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Ak Bars Kazan, Avangard Omsk, the major Moscow clubs. Thats just off the top of my head, and I dont even follow the bloody league. Legitimate or not, there is money in that league. For the marginal Russian NHL'er, it makes more sense to go back home, and earn as much, and in many cases, even more than they would here. This is even more prevalent with the cap now.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Does that mean that the NHL should demand compensation for all players developed in usa high schools or canadian junior hockey? This is no more than a greedy team trying to make money off a kid trying to make his living elsewhere.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
What on earth are you talking about? The North American junior leagues do get compensation for players they develop. The NHL has nothing to do with their development and hence has no claim to any compensation.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
my comments derive from the post earlier saying that Russian teams deserve compensation for losing these players because they were developed in their leagues. Very few have been developed by the teams that own their rights, making the point that the teams that currently own their rights are just attempting to extract cash from North American teams.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
So if a player in the CHL gets traded and then goes to the NHL one year later, I guess the team he was on last isn't entitled to any transfer compensation either?

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Does the NHL have some kind of manifesto to rights to all the best players in the league? The RSL is trying to build itself as a real league, and what better way (as much as I don't like it) than to keep their homegrown stars.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
The issue is that they are holding the players ransom, I have no problem if the kids choose to stay in Russia, my issue is when the kids want to come over and cant because of rediculous financial restraints put there by their current team.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
NHL clubs should give better compensation. 10m or maybe less, but definitely more than current agreement stipulates. The whole point of the higher fee is to compensate for development and make sure that NHL clubs don't just get a player because they can. NHL clubs should use more judgement in deciding which player to acquire.

Comparison with other European clubs is silly -- kids there don't learn how to play hockey for free.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Fletcher

"my comments derive from the post earlier saying that Russian teams deserve compensation for losing these players because they were developed in their leagues. Very few have been developed by the teams that own their rights, making the point that the teams that currently own their rights are just attempting to extract cash from North American teams."

And NHL teams just let their players to change teams without any compensations, do they? And the owners probably don't care about the money, and their only concern is wellbeing of their player? And we didn't have NHL season simply because the owners thought that the players were too tired and needed a break?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The rejected formula had a payment of $900K for an overall #1 pick, decreasing throughout the first round to $300K for the #30. Second round and later picks were $150K fees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-nhl_iihf_russia&prov=cp&type=lgns

According to the new five-year agreement, the NHL will put $12.5 million US annually into a development fund administered by the IIHF, upping the pot from the $9 million in the previous deal.

The IIHF will re-distribute the money among those national federations and clubs who lose players to the NHL, based on a formula decided by the IIHF and the national federations.

The new formula would value a first overall draft pick at $900,000 US, the second overall pick at $880,000, third overall at $860,000, all the way down to 30th overall decreasing by $20,000 each time.

Second-round and later draft picks would be valued at $150,000 each in compensation.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I.M. Fletcher said:
my comments derive from the post earlier saying that Russian teams deserve compensation for losing these players because they were developed in their leagues. Very few have been developed by the teams that own their rights, making the point that the teams that currently own their rights are just attempting to extract cash from North American teams.

Wrong.
There are some that aren't (Ovechkin = Omsk), but the majority of Russian player's rights are owned by the teams that develop them......at least for a couple years.

I agree with what the Russian teams are doing. The NHL doesn't have the god given right to every player they want. Russian teams spend good money developing players - and as soon as they're ready to contribute, these players are bought out by the NHL at a relatively paultry price.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Zine said:
Wrong.
There are some that aren't (Ovechkin = Omsk), but the majority of Russian player's rights are owned by the teams that develop them......at least for a couple years.

I agree with what the Russian teams are doing. The NHL doesn't have the god given right to every player they want. Russian teams spend good money developing players - and as soon as they're ready to contribute, these players are bought out by the NHL at a relatively paultry price.

The assumption you are making is that the Russian Elite has a right to these players as well. As I stated earlier, if these players want to remain in Russia, let them, but do not hold them hostage by holding rediculous buy out fees over their head.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I.M. Fletcher said:
The assumption you are making is that the Russian Elite has a right to these players as well. As I stated earlier, if these players want to remain in Russia, let them, but do not hold them hostage by holding rediculous buy out fees over their head.

I don't get it, I thought Slava Fetisov was still the minister of sports over there. The way I understood it is he hated how hard it used to be for players to come over...why doesn't he do something? Like make an acceptasble compromise, so maybe after a few years, it gets easier?

:confused:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I.M. Fletcher said:

Really well said, :clap:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I.M. Fletcher said:

If they are under contract, they damn right have the right to ask whatever the hell they want. Doesn't the transfer thing kind of just void the contract?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I.M. Fletcher said:

Just like Reveille! has stated, if these players are under contract, Russian teams have every right to ask for as much compensation as they want.

BTW, why are you assuming that these players are being held "hostage". If they signed a valid contract, they should abide by it. If they or their NHL team wants them in N.A., pay the compensation. It's not rocket science.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I.M. Fletcher said:

The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

From now on, any player on any NHL team can move to any other team without compensation, because thats the right thing to do. Don't like your contract? Well your team can't keep you hostage by trying to trade your rights instead of letting you live your dream. A contract is a bloody contract, regardless whether its in Russian, English, or Zulu.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
I.M. Fletcher said:

Now that the new deal is negotiated on, players like Ovechkin and Malkin are used as examples on how things should go, making it possible seem like hostage taking to you, but once the deal is in place, everything will go by it and individual players will no longer be subject to negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad