DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
screen-shot-2017-04-12-at-1-07-25-pm.png

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I don't have a problem with the overbooking but the compensation. United's compensation game needs to be upped. If you don't have volunteers it's because you are not compensating enough. 800 dollars is simply not enough for potential hours of delays and all the hassle and complications along with it. They should keep upping the $ amount until someone volunteers.

Last edited:

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
The airline reserves the right to remove anyone from the airplane they deem fit, it's under Conditions of Carriage (like the Apple Terms and Conditions) -- the **** you never read.

It's not that simple. There is a section of the CoC which discusses the criteria to which someone can be removed from a plane. Think safety issues, disruptions, inappropriate behavior etc. This passenger met none of those criteria. There is a later section where they can deny boarding to anyone for overbooking but never define "boarding," which is suprising considering the CoC defines several dozen terms in their first section labeled, "definitions."

Common sense would say you've boarded once you've sat down but the airlines will claim its till the airplane pulls away from the gate. Regardless the bad PR will cost them and I suspect a jury of peers, should it come to that, will side with common sense. It's also very negligent for them not to define that term in the CoC.

Last edited:

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Delta will offer up to $9,950 to flyers who will give up their seats.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/delta-overbooked-compensation-1.4071453

I think I would give up my seat if it went up to 3 or 4 k if it's an international flight. Longest flight I was on was around 15-16 hours so it will take at least that much and a free hotel room for the night for me to give up my seat. For a much shorter flight, double or triple the amount of my ticket cost plus a free ride on the next available flight to my destination would be sufficient (and a free hotel room if the next flight isn't till the next day).

Sep 19, 2008
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/business/american-airlines-video-stroller.html

American Airlines suspended a flight attendant after an altercation on Friday in which the attendant took a stroller from a woman traveling with two young children and then argued with other passengers. The episode was captured, in part, on video.

The encounter, at San Francisco International Airport, occurred while the woman was boarding a Texas-bound flight. The attendant, whose name was not released by the airline, grabbed the stroller from the woman, who was carrying 15-month-old twins, a passenger who was nearby said.

A video that circulated on social media showed the attendant nearly coming to blows with another passenger who threatened him after the altercation with the woman.

Just film any instances of unprofessional service you see. Film it all. Everyone must be held accountable

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Let recap the month for United Airlines

1) The seat scrap

2) Scorpian bites man on flight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/canadian-man-stung-scorpion-united-airlines-flight/

3) Now a Rabbit that was flying and was predicted to grown into the largest in the world dies in it's cargo hold

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/united-airlines-would-be-worlds-biggest-rabbit-dies-on-flight/

If I was working for United PR- would ask WTF is next?

A crash?? Or a missing flight scenerio???

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I don't travel with bunnies and I'm not an idiot. All this means is lower ticket costs.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Boycott them

Let a newer, more hungry airline company take their place. Survival of the fittest

Nah. I'll fly the cheapest airline. I'm not the dumbass that offered to give up my seat, then refused, then resisted arrest. That guy knew exactly what he was doing. Not the first time he's been involved in scketchy stuff!

But hey, please boycott. Even cheaper seats and I can have the entire row to myself.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nah. I'll fly the cheapest airline. I'm not the dumbass that offered to give up my seat, then refused, then resisted arrest. That guy knew exactly what he was doing. Not the first time he's been involved in scketchy stuff!

But hey, please boycott. Even cheaper seats and I can have the entire row to myself.

Did something new come out? Far as I know he never offered

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

what LAW did he break that put him in position to be arrested?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He originally volunteered to give up seat, found out next flight wasn't until next day, then retracted.

He was a doctor with patients to meet. He might have believed a flight would be later that night or they told him this.

You can retract volunteering, not against the law.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Well, United stock is trading pretty close to the level they were at before all this happened. In fact, they we higher on Thurs before they tailed off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad