*Unique* Mock - Top Thirty NHL Players

Wash

Sep 3, 2006
OK, I don't know about you but the mock draft of draft eligible prospects is rather well-worn. So how about a mock draft of the top thirty NHLers? I'll use this year's standings to do an "order" of sorts and do a brief blurb on each pick. Enjoy and feel free to critique.

1) Philadelphia Flyers - Sidney Crosby
Flyers select Crosby, the NHL's top scorer this season even though he can't even grow a beard. They can't resist his natural talent and obvious upside.
2) Phoenix Coyotes - Roberto Luongo
Homer pick alert! Luongo is about 99.9% of the reason why the Canucks have made the playoffs. He's in his prime and will only get better.
3) Los Angeles Kings - Marty Brodeur
After being destroyed by their goaltending this year, the Kings wisely select Marty Brodeur. Hide his birth certificate because he's shown no signs of aging thus far.
4) Washington Capitals - Joe Thornton
Last year's Art Ross winner has proven last year was no fluke. One of the more well-rounded forwards in the game still has to answer playoff demons.
5) Chicago Blackhawks - Vincent Lecavalier
He's finally stepped up and become the player we all expected him to be. Netted the goal crown and has just entered his prime. No, it doesn't end here.
6) Edmonton Oilers - Dany Heatley
The Oil snag a well-rounded, passionate hockey player who shows up for the big matches. He gets better and better every year and has just entered his prime.
7) Columbus Blue Jackets - Jarome Iginla
Might've cracked 100 pts this year if he had stayed healthy. Proved he can thrive offensively with a better supporting cast this year. Still great all-around player.
8) Boston Bruins - Alexander Ovechkin
Offense tailed off a bit in his 2nd pro season but he'll go up, up and away as his all-around game improves. Will be a top five lock in a year or two.
9) St Louis Blues - Ilya Kovalchuk
Like countryman Ovechkin, Ilya had a tough year this year but is still one of the NHL's best snipers.
10) Florida Panthers - Evgeni Malkin
Proved he is the real deal this year in P-Burg, might eventually play Jagr to Crosby's Lemieux
11) Carolina Hurricanes - Nicklas Lidstrom
Age aside, Lidstrom is the best defenseman in the NHL. Plays tons of minutes, wears the 'C' and no one is better in both ends of the rink.
12) Montreal Canadiens - Scott Niedermayer
One of the league's best skaters, Niedermayer actually netted the leagues point scoring crown for defensemen.
13) Toronto Maple Leafs - Chris Pronger
Missed some time, allowing for the likes of Lidstrom and Niedermayer to jump ahead of him. Perhaps the best all-around package available in the backend.
14) New York Islanders - Martin St Louis
Diminuitive sniper back to his old games again this year, undoubtably helped by Lecavalier's revival
15) Tampa Bay Lightning - Marian Hossa
Led the league in scoring for stretches but couldn't keep ahead. A sniper with a defensive conscience and an ability to pass, neither of which is easy to find.
16) New York Rangers - Jaromir Jagr
Jaromir doesn't score as much but he did plenty of damage dishing the puck, earning tons of assists this year. Still got some hockey left.
17) Colorado Avalanche - Jason Spezza
Jason might've gone higher had he managed to stay healthy this year. Gets his points when in the lineup though.
18) Calgary Flames - Olli Jokinen
Has proven he doesn't need much talent around him to get his points with a pair of stellar seasons in talent-bereft Florida.
19) Atlanta Thrashers - Teemu Selanne
Thought to be done two years ago, Selanne has enjoyed a fine career renaissance, challenging for the goal scoring title this year.
20) Minnesota Wild - Patrick Marleau
As much credit as Joe Thornton gets, San Jose is Marleau's team. When it comes to the scoresheet, Marleau is no slouch either.
21) Pittsburgh Penguins - Miikka Kiprusoff
Despite a difficult season, Miikka makes it here on talent alone. He's proven in years past that he is one of the best in the business. Now if only he'll bounce back...
22) Ottawa Senators - Daniel Alfredsson
Crafty Swede has given the Sens many years of faithful service. He hasn't answered the playoff question yet but he definitely gets the job done in the regular season.
23) Vancouver Canucks - Joe Sakic
How does he do it? Sakic got 100 pts this year on an Avs team that missed the playoffs.... and at the ripe old age of 37.
24) New Jersey Devils - Henrik Zetterberg
Hindered by injuries, Zetterberg has proven to be a crafty two-way offensive force who can do the job in big games now too. Has surpassed Datsyuk in my books.
25) Dallas Stars - Eric Staal
A year ago, he would've been top ten or even top five but Eric had a tough season this year. He's still got the skill to return to the scoring leaders next year.
26) San Jose Sharks - Dominik Hasek
Yes, he's as old as the hills but he nearly took the goals against average crown this year. He's still a top five goalie in this league.
27) Anaheim Ducks - Pavel Datsyuk
Crafty, sneaky center with deft passing skills and a sick, sick shot. If only he'd use it. One of the straws that stirs the drink in Hockeytown.
28) Nashville Predators - Patrice Bergeron
Quietly goes out and does his job without glitz or glamour, not to mention the linemates of many other top players. Very smart, very good two-way guy.
29) Detroit Red Wings - Tomas Vokoun
Hurt by injuries but remains one of the best in the business. He's always been overshadowed by the more glitzy guys but he always gets a lot of wins.
30) Buffalo Sabres - Simon Gagne
Scored lots of goals this year without much support in Philly. Has a lot of "big game" experience for a kid his age.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Great idea but here comes the critique.

Kovalchuk and Malkin should not be ahead of Lids, Neids, Prongs, Selanne, Hossa and Jagr.

Wash

Sep 3, 2006
Only rebuttal could be is that their potential moves them up. (But I think you and I both know that doesn't hold much water here).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If you are building a franchise I think this order would be much different. No way guys like Brodeur, Lidstrom, Jagr, Sakic, and esspecially Hasek go that high. I do not want my top pick to retire in a matter of 2-3 years after I draft them. I'd take Ovechkin #3 for sure, and Heatley falls to 10-15, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->