Status
Not open for further replies.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Union denies rumor of late bid for talks
By Mike Brehm, USA TODAY

Almost since Commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season Wednesday afternoon, rumors have swirled about behind-the-scenes efforts by management and players to try to reopen talks to save the season.
The NHL Players Association shot down that talk Thursday night.

"We've had no contact with the league office," senior director Ted Saskin said. "All the players we've spoken to understand the basis on which Gary canceled the season. As a result, there's no expectations among players that there would be any further negotiations."

Talks ended Tuesday night when Bettman gave the players a take-it-or-leave-it $42.5 million payroll cap. He then rejected the union's $49 million counterproposal.

Saskin said the rumors aren't coming from the players' side.

"It sounds like certain owners weren't happy with the finality that Gary attached to his last proposal," Saskin said.

ResidentAlien*

hmm..i dontknow what to make of that. So many sources are confirming that now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pay no attention to the man behind the Curtain . . . . I am the Greeeeeeeeat Saskin . . . . but you can call me Oz.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
This is priceless:

"Saskin said players "fought long and hard" when the union dropped its offer from $52.5 million. "We're comfortable with that ($49 million) position, and it wasn't something where he had a lower number in mind," he said."

Players fought long and hard?
1) Who was fighting? Who were they fighting with?
2) How "long" did it take for that counter-proposal come? If I remember correctly it was a couple hours at most?
3) It wasn't something where they had a lower number in mind? How close are you with the players that verbally expected the NHL to come up to $45M?

You're funny Ted, you lying sack.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Sakic too, its funny that it's gotten down to you guys finally citing Saskin as a big fat liar, rather than the few optimists then a myriad of pessimists. Somebody smacked you guys with fish, or something...

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
NJD Jester said:
Union denies rumor of late bid for talks
By Mike Brehm, USA TODAY

Almost since Commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season Wednesday afternoon, rumors have swirled about behind-the-scenes efforts by management and players to try to reopen talks to save the season.
The NHL Players Association shot down that talk Thursday night.

"We've had no contact with the league office," senior director Ted Saskin said. "All the players we've spoken to understand the basis on which Gary canceled the season. As a result, there's no expectations among players that there would be any further negotiations."

Talks ended Tuesday night when Bettman gave the players a take-it-or-leave-it $42.5 million payroll cap. He then rejected the union's $49 million counterproposal.

Saskin said the rumors aren't coming from the players' side.

"It sounds like certain owners weren't happy with the finality that Gary attached to his last proposal," Saskin said.

:joker:

I'd probably be denying something too if it was likely to cost me my job. Goodenow denied it in radio interviews all yesterday. So far Saskin and Goodenow are the only guys who have discounted this rumor as false. That's a little transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad