Unexpected Disappointing Seasons From Star Players...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Examples:

Sakic's 1997 season: 22 goals, 74 points, -10 rating in 65 games. The previous season: 51 goals, 120 points, +14 in 82 games.

Pavel Bure's '97 season: 23 goals, 55 points, -14 in 63 games.

Getzlaf's 2012 season: 11 goals, 57 points, -11 in 82 games.

Ovechkin's 2012 season: 38 goals, 65 points, -8 in 78 games.

What are some others?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Lidstrom's 2004 season. I'm still not sure what the hell happened.

81GP, 10G, 28A.

Those numbers are obviously way off what he did in all the surrounding years. The team won the President's trophy that year, so his decline wasn't due to team success. Certainly wasn't over the hill, as he won numerous Norris trophies after the lockout.

Reactions: Sentinel

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Selänne and Kariya in Colorado comes to mind. Yikes. What happened there?

Anze Kopitar last year had a Getzlaf-like season with 52 points in 76 games and -10. Back to his usual self this season.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Selänne and Kariya in Colorado comes to mind. Yikes. What happened there?

Anze Kopitar last year had a Getzlaf-like season with 52 points in 76 games and -10. Back to his usual self this season.

Was just about to mention Kariya and Selanne in Colorado.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Lidstrom's 2004 season. I'm still not sure what the hell happened.

81GP, 10G, 28A.

Those numbers are obviously way off what he did in all the surrounding years. The team won the President's trophy that year, so his decline wasn't due to team success. Certainly wasn't over the hill, as he won numerous Norris trophies after the lockout.

Iirc injuries, mentoring Jiri Fischer and covering for Mathieu "I dont know what to do in my own zone" Schneider...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Jagr in 2004. Had a solid few years of being the best player in the game or just about in Pittsburgh...goes to Washington and it just doesn't work out...he has a miserable 2004 season and gets swapped straight across for a complete nobody in, um, Anson Carter was it? Then rebounds to have an MVP caliber season on the other side of the lockout. Of course, he was 32 in 2004, so his career was just about wrapping up anyway...I wonder what he's up to these days...

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Iirc injuries, mentoring Jiri Fischer and covering for Mathieu "I dont know what to do in my own zone" Schneider...

The Wings were weak at center that season (Fedorov gone, Yzerman gimped, and just-breaking-out Datsyuk and Selke Draper playing most of the year on the same line together), and perhaps consequently their forward lines didn't sustain pressure with lots of passing quite the way previous editions did. Lidstrom clearly missed playing with Fedorov, with whom he had great chemistry. Dave Lewis also had a weirdly conservative approach to offense in some ways; surprising to see they were 2nd in GF, only 7 goals off the league lead, but I guess nobody else was trying to fill the net at the time either.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Dave Lewis was the Wings' coach also in 2003, when Lidstrom played with Bykov most of the season. Mathieu Schneider is a lot better than Bykov. Lidstrom won the Norris in 2003. Yes they had more firepower in 2003 than in 2004, but I don't remember them being that much better offensively overall stats wise. The team finished near the top both years in most offensive categories.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I remember Modano had one year where he suddenly put up like 38 points which was bookended by 70+ point years.

Then it was disclosed that his financial advisor had cheated him out of tens of millions so his mind probably wasn't entirely on hockey.

I have been thinking though that many of those down years were likely due to concussions prior to our more sophisticated detection/treatment system for PCS.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Dave Lewis was the Wings' coach also in 2003, when Lidstrom played with Bykov most of the season. Mathieu Schneider is a lot better than Bykov. Lidstrom won the Norris in 2003. Yes they had more firepower in 2003 than in 2004, but I don't remember them being that much better offensively overall stats wise. The team finished near the top both years in most offensive categories.

Bykov was better defensively than old man Schneider. Allowed Lidström to take more risks.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Modano in 03/04. Scored 44 pts in 76 games and -21 after having scored 85 pts and been +34 the year before. After the lockout he came back strong with 77 pts in 78 games and +23. His last gasp sort of, though.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Mark Messier in 1984-85. After winning the Conn Smythe the previous spring, and after two-straight 100+ point seasons, he scored 54 points in 55 games in 1984-85, and then went back to scoring at around 110 points per-season pace for the next three years.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Pavel Bure's '97 season: 23 goals, 55 points, -14 in 63 games.

He was injured and came back from a season where he only played 15 games and trashed his knee. How is that unexpected?

94–95 lockout season is a much better example as he only had 43 points in 44 games, a lower PPG than Ciccarelli, coming of back to back 60 goals (100+ points) seasons and a monster playoff run the previous year. He turned it up in the first round of the playoffs though with 7 goals (6 of them on NHL goalie Curtis Joseph and 1 empty netter) and 11 points but it was an unexpectedly timid regular season. Whirlwind Alex Zhamnov left him in the dust. Us Bure faithfuls believe though that if it would have been a full season he would have finished higher in the scoring race as he usually went on hefty half-season tears.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Charlie Conacher led the league in goals five times in a span of six years from 1931 to 1936. The one year he didn't? His production plummeted to just 14 goals, barely good enough for the top twenty.

The reasons are unclear. He missed a few games - but he also missed several games in the surrounding years, and his per-game scoring rate dropped significantly, not just his season total.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yzerman's 1995 as well.

And Gretzky had the worst season of his career aside from his last season in 1995.

One of my favourite media gaffes of all time came from Dave Hodge, talking about Steve Yzerman during that season. Actually suggested that Yzerman was embarrassing himself as a shadow of his former self, that it was sad watching him play now, and that he should consider retiring. At age 29. Oops.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Jagr signed the biggest NHL contract ever (to that date) in Washington and immediately scored 42 less points, 7 less game-winning goals, taking 120 less shots (he had nearly a 100 more shots as a Pen two years earlier in less games played), trailing teammates in goals (behind Bondra) and assists (behind Oates) as the Caps missed the playoffs. Needless to say, as a Caps fan this was first and foremost on my mind when I read the thread title.

cut.jpg

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Jagr signed the biggest NHL contract ever (to that date) in Washington and immediately scored 42 less points, 7 less game-winning goals, taking 120 less shots (he had nearly a 100 more shots as a Pen two years earlier in less games played), trailing teammates in goals (behind Bondra) and assists (behind Oates) as the Caps missed the playoffs. Needless to say, as a Caps fan this was first and foremost on my mind when I read the thread title.

cut.jpg
Yet, this uniform fits him like a glove.

Sad, really. Can you imagine him lighting up the league with rookie Ovechkin on his LW?

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I think the 03-04 Red Wings team were just a little more balanced and Mathieu Schneider was given a lot more opportunities offensively which probably took away opportunities for Lidstrom. The previous seasons Lidstrom was the main offensive option on the back end.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what was the cause for jagr's drop in production once he got to washington?

coaching? didn't want to play there? the gambling stuff? obviously not playing with mario would lead to a decrease in production but jagr's drop was huge

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
what was the cause for jagr's drop in production once he got to washington?

coaching? didn't want to play there? the gambling stuff? obviously not playing with mario would lead to a decrease in production but jagr's drop was huge

It could have been for all those reasons.

I think WSH's GM may have figured that taking away Jagr would put an end to the Pittsburgh problem. The Capitals couldn't beat the Penguins in the playoffs.

Instead, both teams declined and then eventually found new star players.

All these years later, the Capitals are still having nightmares because of Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad