Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Every single CHL season there are high scoring 20 year olds. It's always good to take long looks at skilled players, and the advent of Hoffman, Johnson and Palat provides some encouragement for overagers in the long run. But there are always going to be more Mitch Holmbergs than there are Mike Hoffman's.

You can say the same for most 4th to 7th rounders, most will not amount to anything, doesn't mean you don't go to the plate and take a swing.

Same thing with Free agents, most will amount to nothing, but it's worth signing 4 to find one Desharnais or one Diaz or one Sekac(at least allowed us to add a guy like DSP). That's why you do it.

Flyers sign Cornell forward Cole Bardreau today

Numbers quite underwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Numbers quite underwhelming.

He plays for a defensive minded coach (and a good one at that) but if I was looking at Cornell players, I would go after Christian Hilbrich. He's not the quickest guy but strong and has a huge frame. Only saw him once this year though, but was impressed.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
You can say the same for most 4th to 7th rounders, most will not amount to anything, doesn't mean you don't go to the plate and take a swing.

Same thing with Free agents, most will amount to nothing, but it's worth signing 4 to find one Desharnais or one Diaz or one Sekac(at least allowed us to add a guy like DSP). That's why you do it.

Yes, I agree with you. That is the point of the entire process. What I am saying is that the team doesn't necessarily have to get in line/feel like they missed out on a guy or two just because they have the requisite stat lines.

By the way, my post was pointed mostly at Jevpalovs/Martel.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yes, I agree with you. That is the point of the entire process. What I am saying is that the team doesn't necessarily have to get in line/feel like they missed out on a guy or two just because they have the requisite stat lines.

By the way, my post was pointed mostly at Jevpalovs/Martel.

Agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs sign 3-4 Euro/NCAA/CHL FA's in the coming months, they do pretty much every year.

Last year Carr Nevins Sekac, year before Fournier Condon...Sorkin I believe has an AHL deal, they may have to give him an ELC...

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Every single CHL season there are high scoring 20 year olds. It's always good to take long looks at skilled players, and the advent of Hoffman, Johnson and Palat provides some encouragement for overagers in the long run. But there are always going to be more Mitch Holmbergs than there are Mike Hoffman's.

True...but I think it helps if they were at least considerations in the years leading up to their final junior season.

Hoffman is a good example..I was high on him in his draft year as a kid who would not likely be drafted because of off-ice concerns. I thought he would be a great kid to take a flyer on with a 7th round pick, as kid aren't always fully mature at 17 or 18. I had several conversations with Guy Boucher that year...Guy traded for him midway through the season..and he was adamant that the kid was figuring things out off the ice. He'd been given up on in the OHL and in Hull because he was thought to be selfish and arrogant. Drumm was his last chance..and Guy got him straightened out.

I saw Hoffman play as much or more than anyone that year, and there was no denying his skill level and shot. I really pushed Timmins to consider him as a 7th round pick in 2008..but he only got to see him play once and thought he played too much of a "pond hockey" style. The attitude concerns really scared people off.

As I figured would happen.... he did not get picked in his draft year..and the following year Ottawa picked him in the fifth round. Funny thing is a couple of years later Ottawa put him on waivers, and every team had another shot at him.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
for ncaa free agents you would think we could be interested in austin czarnik but 2 goals, 30 assists? haha

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah let's sign him. We will need someone to replace Desharnais eventually. :sarcasm:

I was thinking of that when I saw his stats :laugh:

Anybody hear of some EURO FA's this off season?

Every year there are a few.

THN Future Watch has 6 NCAA FA's listed...

O'Connor, BU G
Morrison, Western Michigan D
Czarnik, Miami C
Bailey, Penn St RW
Baun, Colgate RW
Bardreau, Cornell RW/C(Phillie)

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I heard Mike Reilly could possibly become UFA

yea it sounds like he's going to use the loop hole to become a UFA. Is having a good year so would think several teams will be interested.

for ncaa free agents you would think we could be interested in austin czarnik but 2 goals, 30 assists? haha

teammate of Hab prospect Colin Sullivan. I hope we go for Joey Benik.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
moved some posts out of the prospects thread to here since it was about non Hab prospects. Use this thread to discuss any undrafted FA's.

He plays for a defensive minded coach (and a good one at that) but if I was looking at Cornell players, I would go after Christian Hilbrich. He's not the quickest guy but strong and has a huge frame. Only saw him once this year though, but was impressed.

I go to Cornell and saw 5 games this year. Bardreau is by far the best player, plays on the PP and SH, wins faceoffs, and does a great job carrying the puck. I don't know about his NHL potential, but he was very solid this season.

I liked Hilbrich a lot the first time, skates pretty well for someone who's 6'6, and has some pretty good moves in the offensive zone. However, he can go missing for long stretches (unlike Bardreau, who is always involved). He scored some great goals in the games I went to though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I go to Cornell and saw 5 games this year. Bardreau is by far the best player, plays on the PP and SH, wins faceoffs, and does a great job carrying the puck. I don't know about his NHL potential, but he was very solid this season.

I liked Hilbrich a lot the first time, skates pretty well for someone who's 6'6, and has some pretty good moves in the offensive zone. However, he can go missing for long stretches (unlike Bardreau, who is always involved). He scored some great goals in the games I went to though.

interesting, I figured something must be up as Hilbrich is huge but I never hear any talk about NHL teams being interested in him. In the one game I saw he was impressive but he can return to Cornell for another season so perhaps if he has a more consistent year he will get more attention.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs have 45 players under contract ATM, adding Kyle Baun(RW)terrific speedster & PWF, Casey Bailey(RW)speedster PWF, Kenny Morrison(D) superb mobility and a cannon of a shot from the point, or Drew Brevig(D) with superb skating, good hands & passing, solid defensively.

The Habs should be looking to sign one of each Forward & Defenceman, Baun & Brevig being the players with high end skating speed and skills. That would still leave them with 3 contracts to use for FA's from the Overaged CHLers at season's end. Seattle's Evan Wardley(RD) and Colby Cave(C) from the WHL's Swift Current Bronco's with a contract left over for trades.:nod:

Having more speed and size with talent is far greater than having 5 unsigned contracts, IMHO. Baun & Brevig sound like pretty good prospects, size, elite skating and offensive skills, they would be good additions for the Bulldogs, in time for the playoff drive with 13 games left, to get that last playoff slot.:nod:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

CGY has agreed to terms with college UFA D Kenney Morrison of Western Michigan on 2-yr entry-level contract that takes effect next season.

urke loves his NCAA FA's.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs have 45 players under contract ATM, adding Kyle Baun(RW)terrific speedster & PWF, Casey Bailey(RW)speedster PWF, Kenny Morrison(D) superb mobility and a cannon of a shot from the point, or Drew Brevig(D) with superb skating, good hands & passing, solid defensively.

The Habs should be looking to sign one of each Forward & Defenceman, Baun & Brevig being the players with high end skating speed and skills. That would still leave them with 3 contracts to use for FA's from the Overaged CHLers at season's end. Seattle's Evan Wardley(RD) and Colby Cave(C) from the WHL's Swift Current Bronco's with a contract left over for trades.:nod:

Having more speed and size with talent is far greater than having 5 unsigned contracts, IMHO. Baun & Brevig sound like pretty good prospects, size, elite skating and offensive skills, they would be good additions for the Bulldogs, in time for the playoff drive with 13 games left, to get that last playoff slot.:nod:

The Habs are currently at 46 contracts (perhaps you forgot Bozon who counts even though his contract will slid, he's not junior aged). I haven't seen Baun, I just watch a little of Bailey last night but doubt he signs here since I assume he will sign with a team that can give him NHL minutes right away since he's likely the #1 NCAA FA and is said to have a lot of NHL teams in on him.

Saw Drew Brevig last night as well but didn't notice him as I wasn't really into the game as I was under the weather and just had it on because of Bailey. Not sure he will turn pro since he's a Sophomore. Haven't seen any of the WHL guys. I could see us going for a goalie (maybe Motte since he was at the development camp last year and is having a good year) and I'd love to see the Habs sign Joey Benik (SCSU) he's not big but has very slick hands, broke the goal scoring record in the Minnesota USHS a few years back in a lower division. Ahti Oksanen (BU) is someone I hope the Habs try to sign as well.

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

CGY has agreed to terms with college UFA D Kenney Morrison of Western Michigan on 2-yr entry-level contract that takes effect next season.

urke loves his NCAA FA's.

a good pickup for the flames since he was one of the top NCAA FA's. after this weekend more will be signing as their seasons come to an end.

Should be interesting to see who signs where after tomorrow since the Frozen Fours will be set.

Joey Benik with the game winner in the upset win as SCSU beat the top rated team in the NCAA, North Dakota. Thought he had a good game, will be watching him later tonight in the NCHC championship.

Casey Bailey signs with the leafs

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sucks that Bailey is gone. Will see his progress with the Leafs.

Analyzer*

Sucks that Bailey is gone. Will see his progress with the Leafs.

High profile UFAs usually want to go to a team where they can play in the NHL right away.

Better teams usually have to take the middle of the pack group.

We didn't get the Carey brothers, but in the AHL Carr has been better.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Must be a late bloomer, was a team mate of MacMillan in BCHL, Mark scored 80 points, Casey 24.

Let just say that it's the size that people notices first. But he did start to score more as he progresses. At that age, remains to be seen if there's actually a lot more to add or....he's done already. We will see that soon.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Saw Bailey a few times down the stretch..he disappeared in big games for the most part...he'll fit right in with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad