Underrated Prospects on Your Team

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think Sam Savoie is underrated.

Top 6 potential? Maybe not. But perhaps he plays up the lineup since he's such a pest.

Hopefully no long term issues with his injury. Seems fine for now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bankier and Daemon Hunt?

The latter will probably never be more than a #4, at best. Longshot for Bankier to beat out JEE, rossi, and Yurov for a top 6 C spot, but he has looked impressive in the AHL(on a lousy team) after getting back from injury once he got the rust off.

Does Heidt count as underrated?

Reactions: KristichBabych

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I believe Carter Mazur will be a middle 6 scoring grinder that eventually becomes Hyman-esque (not the 50 goals version) and a top 6 fixture on a line.

Other Wings prospects are pretty well known. I think Buchelnikov has 2nd line potential or bust.

Reactions: Cowumbus

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think Brett Berard is a guy who will be able to slot anywhere in the Rangers lineup and be effective.

Reactions: Eegs

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Roman Kantserov might be the best player in our pipeline. Over Nazar, Moore, and Lardis for me. Im a big Rinzel guy, but he’s not at his level

Reactions: CallMeShaft

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Roman Kantserov might be the best player in our pipeline. Over Nazar, Moore, and Lardis for me. Im a big Rinzel guy, but he’s not at his level
I still have him behind Nazar, Moore, and Rinzel, but what he's been doing in the playoffs this year (10pts in 18 KHL games) in his D+1 season is certainly impressive and warrants moving up the depth charts a bit.

If he keeps this pace (or better yet improves it) next season, his value might overtake those guys for me.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Here's my comprehensive list of players from each Atlantic, team that seem to be underrated. I'll do other divisions later.

Atlantic
Buffalo:
Noah Ostlund -
Seems to be an overthought with a stacked pool in Buffalo. His bread and butter is his smooth silky stride and hockey IQ. Two things I value a ton, when evaluating prospects. He's great defensively, can Pk and be an asset on the pp. He'll be a good middle six centre, and I think I prefer him to some of the more flashy sabres guy.

Boston:
Georgii Merkulov
- Doesn't seem to be talked about much here, but he just put up 60 points In 63 games. Great hands, accurate shot, can find teammates. Needs to put on weight, and work on his willingness to go into dirty areas. But I project him to be a skilled top 9 forward, who can chip in.

Detroit:
Carter Mazur:
Just a hard-working player, who has a little draper in him. Great on the boards, gives it his all every shift. Good in front of traffic with a scoring touch in dirt areas. Similar player to Tverberg in Toronto.

Florida:
Sandis Vilmanis -
He's been exceptional these playoffs, in particular in this Sudbury series. He's visibly a fantastic skater, Sudbury often stuggled to contain his speed. My issue with him, is he shows flashes of brilliance, and then will disappear. I'm interested to see how he looks in the A. Slim pickings in Florida.

Montreal:
Adam Engstrom-
Look his stat line isn't glamorous by any means. But he's emerged himself as a top 4 dman in a mens league. Good transition skater, works hard consistently, should be a reliable defender. I could see him being a good #5. Disclaimer I am not a goalie guy, but Jacob Fowler is one consistent keeper worth mentioning.

Ottawa:
Jorian Donovan
is a player I've liked. He's a good skater, he's an aggressive on the puck. Definitely needs to improve consistency, and his gap control. Good transitional play, as well. I still question his ability to play at the next level, but he's got interesting tools.

Tampa:
Jack Finley -
Look I don't expect him to be more than a Brian Boyle, but I think his odds of getting there aren't too shabby. Huge frame, great on the cycle, decent playmaker as well. His skating is average at best, but it isn't going to totally sink him like other players his size.

Toronto:
Nikita Grebenkin
- Just put 41 points in the K, for the fifth best khi season ever for a 20 year old. Last year, he won rookie of the year with the 5th best 19 year old Khl season of all time. Great vision, creative with the puck and a big frame. Could crack the leafs, if he does come over next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Viktor Neuchev looks like he gets the game at a pro level, the second half of his AHL season has started to pop for him offensively. He looks like he could be something and he gets very little notice, even among Sabre fans.

Nikita Novikov is the other, rangy LHD who has more offensive jump in his game at the AHL level than he showed as a teenager in the KHL, and handles shutdown work fairly well. His offensive contributions have been solid for a first year 20-year old though I do wonder if he'll make it to being a top-4 in the NHL as the OP mentions.

Reactions: Realgud

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Viktor Neuchev looks like he gets the game at a pro level, the second half of his AHL season has started to pop for him offensively. He looks like he could be something and he gets very little notice, even among Sabre fans.

Nikita Novikov is the other, rangy LHD who has more offensive jump in his game at the AHL level than he showed as a teenager in the KHL, and handles shutdown work fairly well. His offensive contributions have been solid for a first year 20-year old though I do wonder if he'll make it to being a top-4 in the NHL as the OP mentions.

I'd add Komarov for Buffalo. He looks like a 2nd pair RHD. Novikov I dunno about top 4, but #6-7 in the NHL, yeah I see that in his future.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Ty Nelson would be the one that fits this description for me. He's somewhat short for a D in the NHL but he's very solid and plays a physical game. He skates well, and also has a booming shot. I definitely see a world where he becomes a 2nd pairing, PP2 defenseman. He turns pro next year so we'll see how it goes.

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
Nikishin gets all the love in Carolina (rightfully so), but I think Simon Forsmark is going to be a good NHL defender. He had a very solid rookie season in the SHL.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The Hawks have drafted a slew of players in the top three rounds in the last 2 drafts - but I'm going to pick a 3rd rounder to nominate as the Hawks underrated prospect - Nick Lardis - sniper with elite speed. Needs at least another season in the CHL and then probably time in the AHL to gain strength and fill out a bit - but then he has a chance to be very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad