Underrated Historic Players?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I want to hear about some of the retired guys we don't talk about enough or not at all but should.
Here are some of Mine (im 15, so these are 90s 2000s guys):
Ed Jovanovski (you may know him)
Martin Havlat
Johnathan Cheechoo
Steve Ott :D

I am young and naive, so these player are notable in a way, but what are some players you think need more recognition and could you explain why they need more recognition?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
First one that comes to mind is former NY Islander defenseman Ken Morrow. Kind of forgotten in the shuffle behind Potvin and the key forwards. Played with bad knees through his all too brief career. CCHA player of the year (1975), key part in Bowling Green State University success (75-79) winning a few tournaments. Right after college, helps US Olympic team win Gold medal (miracle on ice 1980). Immediately joins Islanders and plays a key part in their 4 cup dynasty. Such an underrated stay at home defenseman, who scored some key playoff goals. Not mentioned enough in my opinion, especially when taking a look at what he did everywhere he played.
Had the pleasure of meeting him in the early '80s at a Police Boys Club award ceremony for roller hockey championship. A real good guy, too bad I was too young and dorky at the time, would've loved to talk hockey with him.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Tom Barrasso.
Youngest to win Vezina & Calder. Where were you months after graduating high school? Barrasso was in the NHL facing pucks. Only other player I can think of that went straight from high school to NHL was Bobby Carpenter. Barrasso helped give Buffalo credibility, doesn't get the credit he deserved winning with the Pens.

Reactions: frisco and Flamesss

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Youngest to win Vezina & Calder. Where were you months after graduating high school? Barrasso was in the NHL facing pucks. Only other player I can think of that went straight from high school to NHL was Bobby Carpenter. Barrasso helped give Buffalo credibility, doesn't get the credit he deserved winning with the Pens.

And Phil Housley.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Richard Martin.

-44 goals as a rookie (record until Bossy broke it).
-Named to Summit Series team as a rookie. Played on 1976 Canada Cup winner.
-382 goals in 681 games.
-Twice a first team AS, twice second team.
-Goals/Game is still 11th all-time. Behind only Bossy, Dennheny, Lemieux, Dye, Bure, Ovechkin, Brett Hull, Bobby Hull, Tim Kerr.
-43rd in career Points/Game.
-Five seasons of at least 44 goals. Two 50-goal years (and a 49).
-Career ended at 30 by a knee injury. Had he played until 34-35 he'd easily be a HOF player.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: brachyrynchos

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I know he was not perceived as a pleasant person but how is Barrasso not in the Hall?

My Best-Carey

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Jacques Lemaire. Never won an award, was never an All-Star, only played in two all-star games, no 50 goal or one hundred point seasons, and sadly he was never asked to play on Team Canada. But he was such a glue guy to those great Canadien's teams. Fabulous playmaker, very good shot, fast skater, good in the dot, great hustle and was incredibly responsible in his own end. Really elevated his play in the playoffs too. Yes, he's in the Hall, but Lemaire gets overlooked as one of the great centers of his era, and of all-time. His value to Montreal was off the chart. A real "thinking man's" hockey player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I want to hear about some of the retired guys we don't talk about enough or not at all but should.

I am young and naive, so these player are notable in a way, but what are some players you think need more recognition and could you explain why they need more recognition?

.... :squint: unhuh.................................... Gilbert Perrault, Rene Robert & Rick Martin, but particularly... Perrault. Beyond Sabers fans I'm not so sure the wider population of fans beyond this Board appreciate just how a good a player this guy was. Had he been in Montreal or even Philly, Long Island or Edmonton, been winning Cups whole other story. He really was like Morenz, like Lafleur the classic Flying French Canadian only Perrault was bigger, stronger, a total power forward, machine. But clean, graceful like the aforementioned. Unselfish. Reinvented himself a bit for the betterment of his line, team. Becoming more the playmaker than just a sniper. Total class act.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Marcel Dionne is almost never talked about despite his awesome career.

dionne is an interesting case, and maybe tells us a lot about how we should historically view guys like ron francis, mike gartner, arguably mark recchi, arguably phil housley and larry murphy, maybe patrick marleau when all is said and done. obviously that is a very wide gamut of players, of different abilities, of hugely different levels of greatness, and of different historical reputations.

but what they have in common, and what dionne tells us, is that they each retired artificially high in at least one statistical category, and they were each still misleadingly high up when they made the hall of fame (misleading either because of era, because the total is more a function of longevity than the player's level of greatness at his peak/prime, or because they would be passed soon enough).

- ron francis retired 4th all-time in points, 2nd all-time in assists, 3rd all-time in games, and was still in those positions when he was inducted first ballot (which i still think is a travesty, given that larionov was eligible for the first time). today he is still an extremely high 5th, 2nd, and 4th, respectively.

- larry murphy retired with the second most games played, after howe. when he was inducted, he was 5th (today he is 9th). that combined with 1,200 career points (retired #3 all time for defensemen, behind you know who, and was inducted at #5, where he still is today and is unlikely to be passed by anyone, anytime soon).

- due to era, 15 years after retiring housley is still 4th all-time in defenseman points

- gartner retired an unfathomable 5th all-time in goals, was still at that number when he was inducted first ballot, has since fallen to a still-misleading 7th

- ...and so on (don't look now but marleau is 12th all-time in games played, will almost certainly pass lidstrom for the 11th spot this season, and would be 5th all-time if he plays all 82 games next season. incidentally, he hasn't missed a game this season. if he plays out his contract with no games missed, assuming jagr is really done, marleau is 3rd all-time, and within spitting distance of howe.)

okay, so dionne. he used to get talked about all the time, like freakin' all the time, as an "underrated guy" because "you probably don't know this, but marcel dionne is 2nd all-time in goals, assists, and points," and then the same after gretzky passed him except the 2nd turned into 3rd. he gets talked about a lot less now that he's 5th, 10th, and 6th, respectively.

my point is, dionne was talked about too much because he was higher on the all-time rankings than he should have been (relative to, say, beliveau, mikita, espo, trots, and others who were objectively greater players than him). not to say dionne isn't a slam dunk first ballot hall of famer and a top 60 player of all-time, mind you. but it was the numbers, and specifically that the numbers were surprising/misleading, that made dionne a topic of conversation. ditto ron francis, ditto mike gartner.

ron francis isn't going to fall any father, short of dramatic rule changes, but we already have seen gartner fall to 7th. i only see ovechkin passing him anytime soon but a generation from now i don't see a lot of people who didn't watch '90s hockey caring to ask about some guy they've never heard of who nobody has told their grandkids about who is 8th all-time in goals.

Reactions: Nick Hansen

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
.... :squint: unhuh.................................... Gilbert Perrault, Rene Robert & Rick Martin, but particularly... Perrault. Beyond Sabers fans I'm not so sure the wider population of fans beyond this Board appreciate just how a good a player this guy was. Had he been in Montreal or even Philly, Long Island or Edmonton, been winning Cups whole other story. He really was like Morenz, like Lafleur the classic Flying French Canadian only Perrault was bigger, stronger, a total power forward, machine. But clean, graceful like the aforementioned. Unselfish. Reinvented himself a bit for the betterment of his line, team. Becoming more the playmaker than just a sniper. Total class act.
OMG perrault. over here in the west in Vancouver we should know who he is, the guy we missed. Perrault Was Lafleur except less Offense, More Defense. I have acknowledged most Hall of Famers work in the game of hockey. The 70s is just an era most younger fans forget. Sure Orr, Clarke, and Lafleur are remembered but never Perrault. Perrault was Top 5, Maybe even Top 3 sometimes behind Lafleur and Dionne (The Perrault of HFBoards, More Recognised outside HFBoards) in the mid late 70s after Orr, before Bossy. Add the rest of the French Connection and you are in for a ride with the 70s Sabres.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The 70s is just an era most younger fans forget.

Over-looked somewhat by older fans, crazy era that it was, Montreal's dominance but for the Flyers 2yr reign, earlier Boston's Cup's. Philadelphia in particular is often broadbrushed with black paint, a number of beyond excellent players on those teams and one guy in particular who slips between the cracks is Bill Barber..... very talented & intelligent all-round player who was one of the best two way forwards in the history of the game actually, not just the 70's. Trottier, Bossy, Billy Smith of the Islanders... Tony Esposito in Chicago.... virtually everyone hating to play against him as he was just that good while at the same time being a needle, mouthpiece.

Got under peoples skin & would draw penalties, giving the Flyers the Power Play. He was also the first notable player to engage in "embellishment", give an Academy Award Performance like he'd been shot when barely touched looking to draw a penalty for nothing & for several seasons it worked. That however became a problem as Ref's got wise to his Shenanigans & then when he'd genuinely been fouled they wouldnt call the Penalty. He's remembered in some circles more for that unfortunately rather than his play, compete level, speed, skill, talent & work ethic.

Funny story... Referee Don Koharski's first ever NHL game, Barber realizing Koharski's first game Refereeing, green, rookie.... so Billy there....... trys out his acting skills, deliberately grabbing an opponents stick with a free hand and jamming it into his own feet, pulling a full Greg (former Olympic Diver) Louganis, launching himself skyward & catching major air before sprawling all over the ice... lolling around like he'd broken his neck & looking up at Koharski with pleading eyes who tells him... "nice one, too bad the waters frozen".

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
dionne is an interesting case, and maybe tells us a lot about how we should historically view guys like ron francis, mike gartner, arguably mark recchi, arguably phil housley and larry murphy, maybe patrick marleau when all is said and done. obviously that is a very wide gamut of players, of different abilities, of hugely different levels of greatness, and of different historical reputations.

but what they have in common, and what dionne tells us, is that they each retired artificially high in at least one statistical category, and they were each still misleadingly high up when they made the hall of fame (misleading either because of era, because the total is more a function of longevity than the player's level of greatness at his peak/prime, or because they would be passed soon enough).

- ron francis retired 4th all-time in points, 2nd all-time in assists, 3rd all-time in games, and was still in those positions when he was inducted first ballot (which i still think is a travesty, given that larionov was eligible for the first time). today he is still an extremely high 5th, 2nd, and 4th, respectively.

- larry murphy retired with the second most games played, after howe. when he was inducted, he was 5th (today he is 9th). that combined with 1,200 career points (retired #3 all time for defensemen, behind you know who, and was inducted at #5, where he still is today and is unlikely to be passed by anyone, anytime soon).

- due to era, 15 years after retiring housley is still 4th all-time in defenseman points

- gartner retired an unfathomable 5th all-time in goals, was still at that number when he was inducted first ballot, has since fallen to a still-misleading 7th

- ...and so on (don't look now but marleau is 12th all-time in games played, will almost certainly pass lidstrom for the 11th spot this season, and would be 5th all-time if he plays all 82 games next season. incidentally, he hasn't missed a game this season. if he plays out his contract with no games missed, assuming jagr is really done, marleau is 3rd all-time, and within spitting distance of howe.)

okay, so dionne. he used to get talked about all the time, like freakin' all the time, as an "underrated guy" because "you probably don't know this, but marcel dionne is 2nd all-time in goals, assists, and points," and then the same after gretzky passed him except the 2nd turned into 3rd. he gets talked about a lot less now that he's 5th, 10th, and 6th, respectively.

my point is, dionne was talked about too much because he was higher on the all-time rankings than he should have been (relative to, say, beliveau, mikita, espo, trots, and others who were objectively greater players than him). not to say dionne isn't a slam dunk first ballot hall of famer and a top 60 player of all-time, mind you. but it was the numbers, and specifically that the numbers were surprising/misleading, that made dionne a topic of conversation. ditto ron francis, ditto mike gartner.

ron francis isn't going to fall any father, short of dramatic rule changes, but we already have seen gartner fall to 7th. i only see ovechkin passing him anytime soon but a generation from now i don't see a lot of people who didn't watch '90s hockey caring to ask about some guy they've never heard of who nobody has told their grandkids about who is 8th all-time in goals.

"...when he was inducted first ballot (which i still think is a travesty, given that larionov was eligible for the first time)"

So how was it that Francis going in over Larionov was a travesty?

Larionov played 13 years in the NHL. Same era as Francis. He was a good player. Not a HHOFer by any stretch.

Great when he played with the Soviets with the legendary Green Unit. But, when Ron Francis played with Jagr & Lemieux, he was great too.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
"...when he was inducted first ballot (which i still think is a travesty, given that larionov was eligible for the first time)"

So how was it that Francis going in over Larionov was a travesty?

Larionov played 13 years in the NHL. Same era as Francis. He was a good player. Not a HHOFer by any stretch.

Great when he played with the Soviets with the legendary Green Unit. But, when Ron Francis played with Jagr & Lemieux, he was great too.

even if we grant that the players were equals, hell even if we say francis was better, which i guess the HOH centers list decisively does (but ftr i don't), larionov has major major historical importance.

"When I first stepped into Canada, in Winnipeg, for our first exhibition game at the '81 Canada Cup, I realized one day I wanted to come and play over here," Larionov recently told ESPN.com in advance of his upcoming induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame on Monday night. "Because of that, there were a few bumps during my eight seasons with the Red Army team."

Larionov, just 20 at the time, was at one point barred from traveling outside the Soviet Union because the Soviets were worried he would escape and stay behind somewhere in North America.

"I was quoted in the media and expressing myself quite openly that the day would come where I would play in the NHL, but I wasn't sure when," Larionov said. "It took us a while to get the doors open for many of us to come to the National Hockey League."

Wayne Gretzky, for one, saw what the rest of the hockey world was missing. Larionov was a legendary talent. He was a visionary. He was a pioneer.

"Back in the '84 Canada Cup, I got a chance to meet with him and spend some time with him," Gretzky recalled. "I didn't even know he spoke English. That was the first time I thought maybe those guys might come over and play in the NHL. We talked at length about it."

Gretzky's next visit with Larionov convinced him that it was only a matter of time before the Soviets would break the NHL barrier. During the 1987 Canada Cup, and under the supervision of coach Viktor Tikhonov, the famous KLM Line of Larionov, Vladimir Krutov and Sergei Makarov, along with blueliners Slava Fetisov and Alexei Kasatonov, went over to Gretzky's family home in Brantford, Ontario, for a barbecue.

"That's when I got to know [Larionov] even better and I found out a lot of those guys wanted to come over and play in the NHL," said Gretzky. "Both Igor and Fetisov spoke perfect English.

"Those two guys were the big leaders of trying to get Soviet players over here."

Larionov and Krutov became Canucks. Of course, there was a catch.

"I think $1.15 million from my salary over three years went back to the Soviet government," said Larionov.

But it was the price that helped finally opened the floodgates and allowed Russian players to one day make a living in the NHL. Fetisov made a similar deal so he could join the New Jersey Devils. Larionov believed it was important to leave Russia with the blessing of his government and not defect like others. He wanted it done right so, one day, all Russian players could do it.

"Those guys paid high taxes to the Russian sport government agency in order to leave," Fedorov said. "Their salaries were minimized by 65 percent. I just defected. But they couldn't do that. They were older and wiser and they had to be responsible. I respect them for that."

Said Samsonov: "Igor's impact was huge. He was one of the first guys to come along into the league and helped pave the road for players like me."

LeBrun: Igor Larionov was ahead of his time, on and off the ice

The Fetisov and Larionov–led campaign against the Soviet sports system in 1988 eventually led to Russian players being freed to play in the NHL. To them it was about standing up for what they believed in, literally putting their lives on the line.

"We had enough bravery to go against the Soviet system," Fetisov said. "Believe me, there were some pretty scary moments for all of us."

Larionov attacked national team coach Viktor Tikhonov and the Soviet communist sports system in editorials and magazine articles.

"They could have done anything they wanted to us, especially since were in the army," said Fetisov, who admitted images of Siberia crossed their minds. "The army could send us anywhere, anytime."

Papa Bear and the Professor continued to fight and slayed the mighty Russian bear.

If These Walls Could Talk: Detroit Red Wings

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Brian Propp. He's still the all-time leader in playoff points by a LW. Excellent defensive winger and PK'er. Led the 1980-1989 Flyers -who are tied for 1st with the Oilers in wins during this period- in cumulative scoring by a huge margin.
Propp-821
Kerr-578
Howe-417
Poulin-377

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

I wouldn't say 'great', but rather 'very good', a clear step behind his linemates Makarov and Krutov back in the 1980s. In fact, Larionov had a 'very good' long career, but I never saw him reach true greatness.

If Larionov deserves some extra points for his off-ice actions and struggle for freedom, that's fine, but purely hockey-wise, he doesn't belong to the Soviet top 10 All-Time imo.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Paul Coffey. He really deserved better "ahoi" to his career. Everybody know well, when Ray Bourque retired. But im sure, not many of you will know, when Coffey retired. For a guy, that holds many NHL records, it is a shame.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
A pair of Swedes that don't get mentioned enough who were important to their team:
Defensive forward Jan Erixon; played all 3 forward positions, superb at keeping the opposition of the scoreboard, nicknamed "Shadow" for following star players relentlessly. Key guy for the Rangers in the '80s.
Per Erik "Pelle" Eklund had the wheels and pretty slick hands, smart player who was buried on 4th line until winning the respect of Flyers coach Mike Keenan. Played a total of 594 games, 120-335-453. Only 1 major penalty his whole career. Good player.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad