Under using the Technology you own?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am one the older posters on this board, while I am computer literate and try to stay up to date on all technologies and look for new apps and tech to help my what I am doing.

Like when I was traveling south east asia for 6 months--I discovered a pile of apps and other stuff that help me save money.

A few days ago I was shopping for a book on line on Amazon and found that if you had a Kindle the book is free. I did not own a kindle and thought about buying one. Some how I stumbled onto the fact I could download Amazon Kindle to my tablet(take a look at the title before you mock the old man) and the books I wanted were in fact free. DU'H I know.

I started looking around and suddenly realized that many of the apps and other stuff I had were what I would call over lapping and making many apps that I used were redundant and taking up too space that could be used for other stuff.

This might only be me--but have any of you guys suddenly realized that the tech you had could do more then you realized?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Happens every so often to me.

I have a Galaxy Note 8 and just realized the fingerprint sensor also has a heartrate monitor built in it. Fancy that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It only really happens to me when technology has been out for a while and updates have been made without me realizing. So something like a smart phone, when the initial release of the phone happens it can do a,b,c and that's it. By the end of the lifespan it can typically do x,y,z as well and if I didn't pay attention I might've missed some things. Happens every so often with pieces of technology or programs I use but fall by the wayside. Another example would be the Twitch/Amazon Prime promotions that seemed to come out of the blue. Two services I use but if I wasn't paying attention I would've missed their overlap a little.

Normally before making any type of technology purchase I do extensive research and learn about what it can or cannot do.

As far as e-books, most people forget that their local library probably has access to thousands of titles available for free if you have a library card. Same is true for a bunch of other resources like language learning tools or introductory e-courses for different topics.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm sure I under utilize my technology - but there are definitely great things you can do with it. ie instead of having to buy an expensive OBD II scanner, I bought a cheap $8 wireless unit, and use it over bluetooth with my cell phone. Sure, no mechanic is going to operate their shop like that, but the thing has been accurate so far, and has helped with repairs. I've since gotten several for family members, in the of chance they have a breakdown - at least then, with a cell phone, they can try to get an idea of what's wrong on the spot.

I've got two high powered computers at home that I should be getting to do more than they currently do, although they are doing a fantastic job of what I primarily intended them for. I've got some Raspberry Pi's laying around that I should repurpose.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
My problem is buying is gadgets "'cause I gotta have it!", and then never really use them, example my Nintendo Switch, and some other consoles, but it's partly because I do sort of collect them, but in the case of the Switch, there's a definite lack of games that I don't already own on my Wii U, or I just roll my eyes at all the indies.

I really didn't need this laptop (and thanks to Intel and the 8th gen chips, I wish I waited), but it's got a nicer screen, and can play Sims 3 decently.

I have Office installed on both my computers, but never use it, save Outlook (laptop), because I have no personal need, but I get a free copy as a state employee. However at work, I feel like what I can't do with Excel is wasted - I really need to learn some Excel fu.

The last gadget that I bought that I absolutely love, is my Instant Pot.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of my $2,000+ PC playing phone games, but I see that's not quite what you meant. :laugh:
I came here ready to post the exact same thing... probably spent close to 3 grand on a new PC over the last 18 months and I literally play Rome II & Civ 6 95% of the time... don't even use it for email, surfing here or movies/music... it's a $3,000 dollar strategy game machine.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I came here ready to post the exact same thing... probably spent close to 3 grand on a new PC over the last 18 months and I literally play Rome II & Civ 6 95% of the time... don't even use it for email, surfing here or movies/music... it's a $3,000 dollar strategy game machine.
The most demanding game I've played on my Threadripper 1950x so far is Fallout New Vegas :laugh: But the computer does get used for mining and video rips, and some video encoding, so it is at least getting use.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The most demanding game I've played on my Threadripper 1950x so far is Fallout New Vegas :laugh: But the computer does get used for mining and video rips, and some video encoding, so it is at least getting use.
Hahah, you got it paying for itself a bit at least!

I was thinking about mine the other day as I had a crazy work week (and work from home) so I sat next to my turned-off-for-3-straight-days 3g PC and it's 2k monitor thinking "That 1080ti might have been overkill".

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Hahah, you got it paying for itself a bit at least!

I was thinking about mine the other day as I had a crazy work week (and work from home) so I sat next to my turned-off-for-3-straight-days 3g PC and it's 2k monitor thinking "That 1080ti might have been overkill".
You can always donate the 1080ti to me :)

Reactions: Bocephus86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad