Under The Radar Rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Who were the rookies this year who stuck on mid-season call-ups and weren't around long enough to get consideration for the Calder or All-Rookie Teams. I know I made this thread solely to mention Christian Backman who really did well to catch up on his learning curve which he had fallen behind on remaining in Sweden for so long.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
before his injury, kronwall was putting a good name in for himself. Next year we could see a few players traded on the blueline or not signed just to make room for Kronwall.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Fedor Tjutin, the man became the rangers #1 blueliner in a mere few games, even when Brian Leetch was there. And ya he didn't have the pressure a lot of other defencemen had but none were the #1 defencemen, and playoff potential hockey or not, captaining your teams blue line in nyc is rough as any job

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Plager05 said:
Who were the rookies this year who stuck on mid-season call-ups and weren't around long enough to get consideration for the Calder or All-Rookie Teams. I know I made this thread solely to mention Christian Backman who really did well to catch up on his learning curve which he had fallen behind on remaining in Sweden for so long.

I think Danton and Rycroft did OK for themselves as rookies, too.

PrussianBlue

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Matthew Lombardi for the Flames.

Yes, he did go to the junior all-stars but that was basically a "we need a representitive from almost all teams". The kid gets very little media coverage and has done very well for himself this year. HE wasn't even suppose to make the team but was given a chance because of injuries and has been a dominant player at times. He had a great rookie season and is playing great in the playoffs. He is playing better than guys like Ryder, Hunter, etc.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Matthew Lombardi for the Flames.

Yes, he did go to the junior all-stars but that was basically a "we need a representitive from almost all teams". The kid gets very little media coverage and has done very well for himself this year. HE wasn't even suppose to make the team but was given a chance because of injuries and has been a dominant player at times. He had a great rookie season and is playing great in the playoffs. He is playing better than guys like Ryder, Hunter, etc.

I can you say he play better than Ryder because I'm sure you didn't see him play. I have to say that I didn't saw Lombardi but Ryder, despite he's not racking-up the point play very well and creat a lot of chance. I'm just tired of people who base there comment on stats...

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
Derek Roy

He was an injury call up and forced his way into a permanent roster spot. Roy made Curtis Brown, a 10 year Sabre, expendable. Was one of the team's best players for part of the stretch run. Scored a key OT goal in Atlanta to keep the Sabres playoff hopes alive. Definitely did not get enough recognition for his performance.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Patrick - Flames Fan said:

Actually, Ryder has been a dominant player for the Habs in the playoffs, along with Saku Koivu, Alexei Kovalev and Craig Rivet. These are the 4 main guys that have been the most outstanding for Montreal. Eventhough he didn't, he had SO many scoring chances, he simply didn't get the breaks. Once he scores one, I'm sure he'll be able to build on this goal and keep up the good work.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Allan Rourke... while he didn't put up too much in the way of offensive numbers, his play overall was outstanding. He's one of those guys that you often didn't really notice on the ice due to the fact that he plays a conservative defensive game making very few mistakes.

Murphy*

Antoine Vermette has played very well all year, he may not have the offensive totals right now but they will come. Also, he is an absolute beast on the penalty kill. One of the fastest, if not the fastest player in the NHL.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Semin

He really didnt significant ice time until the caps traded away everyone...since he's been sent down to the AHL to help Portland in their playoff run, he's scored 7 goals 4 assists in 6 games

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Matt Stajan was quietly a solid rookie for the entire season. He played solid positional hockey and worked hard. He didn't do too much offensively, but he'll get better as he puts on size.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
eSabre said:
Derek Roy

He was an injury call up and forced his way into a permanent roster spot. Roy made Curtis Brown, a 10 year Sabre, expendable. Was one of the team's best players for part of the stretch run. Scored a key OT goal in Atlanta to keep the Sabres playoff hopes alive. Definitely did not get enough recognition for his performance.

I agree, Roy gets my vote on this one. He's been outstanding in the games I've seen and he shows so much effort and willing for his size.. it's fun to see him play.

jacketracket*

Aaron Johnson in Columbus. He wouldn't have put up Calder-like numbers over a full season, but he definitely proved that he belonged.

Was getting some PP time at the end of the season.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
Douggy said:
Matt Stajan was quietly a solid rookie for the entire season. He played solid positional hockey and worked hard. He didn't do too much offensively, but he'll get better as he puts on size.

I agree.........a lot of the players who get a lot of hype(Ryder, Hunter etc.) get a lot of big time minutes............they play on the top 2 lines. In the case of Matt Stajan, He was playing 3rd or 4th line most of the year and when Francis was traded to the leafs, He was benched.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
Semin and Stajan. For Alexander, being banked on by your team to score as a 19 year old must have been tough,e specially when he can't speak English, but he showed several flashes of his talent, only exciting me for what he can do in a year or two's time. Also, he's ripping it up in the AHL.

Stajan has impressed me beyond belief, to make the team as a 19/20 year old and show talent in occassional scoring as well as sound positional play, despite his small frame, he's impressed me quite a bit.

Special mention to half the Capitals' roster ;)

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Aaron Johnson and Tim Jackman. Johnson showed why he was a leading scorer in the Q, and his defensive game is rounding out well. Jackman doesn't mind going into the corners or in front of the net and getting his nose dirty. I expect both to be full time Jackets next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad