UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Still kind of surprised they haven't moved Boudens back on D with Suellentrop out...must feel comfortable going with 13F/5D right now.

I don't want to jinx it because injuries always seem to pop up and makes it moot, but I wonder what kind of line-up they would go with if they have everyone healthy. I assume Trainor/Cooper would be scratches, but who else? Thomas? Critchlow?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Still kind of surprised they haven't moved Boudens back on D with Suellentrop out...must feel comfortable going with 13F/5D right now.

I don't want to jinx it because injuries always seem to pop up and makes it moot, but I wonder what kind of line-up they would go with if they have everyone healthy. I assume Trainor/Cooper would be scratches, but who else? Thomas? Critchlow?

Tough choice to make. I don't know, hard to take Thomas out I think, I know that he takes his fair share of penalties but he brings energy each and every night, personally thing he needs to be in the lineup, he's the spark plug that gets the rest of the team going! Also hard to sit your captain though

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With Suellentrop out tonight I never did notice if they had Boudens playing back on D...did anyone else?

Glad to see McIvor come back after taking that hard hit and cutting up his face (which took 9 stitches to close).

UNB played with 5 d-men all weekend. Boudens stayed up front. I don't see CoachMac moving Boudens back unless they lose another d-man to injury or suspension.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Pre-Season

Looking back is always easy.

UNB is certainly on a roll now after a slow'ish start. I can't help but wonder if they had played 2-3 more pre-season games if they would be 14-0 at this stage as they looked a bit rusty at first, but now seem like a well oiled machine.

The three game stretch (G5-6-7) where they went 5-4, 4-5, 5-4 were not their best defensive games and might have been better with a few more pre-season games.

The team is almost 100% with the exception of Sullentrop, making this weekend interesting with UNB on Olympic ice on Friday and back to Halifax vs SMU on Saturday - their first road games vs these opps . If they win these game giving up only 1-2 goals - I think they will likely run the board to the end of the season (maybe one loss to UPEI or SFX on the road).

Since that 3 game stretch, they have given up only 8 goals in 7 games with 2 shutouts.

The short pre-season . .
- hurt SMU. It's taken them a while to get back in shape. Some of that is injuries and a player leaving and some is just 'being ready'
- didn't really hurt UNB - a bit slow at first (bu UNB standards) but are now a steam train rolling over teams.
- helped UPEI. They caught some teams by surprise, but I think everyone has reigned them back in.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
York has been announced as the opponent for the Pete Kelly.

I can get on board with this...they haven't played them since 2003 so it is at least someone different.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
For those with Fibe TV

CyHGC_xXcAAppEQ.jpg

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
If you think the officiating was over zealous in Acadia it was really one sided in Halifax tonight. Yes, UNB got frustrated and it wasn't very hard to see why. 9 penalties were called on UNB totalling 28 minutes while SAINT Mary's had 3 penalties totalling 6 minutes.

The "Flavour of the weekend" seems to be the new 2 and 2 call for daring to question a call which I observed 3 times in the 2 games.

Even worse, if you take a stick to the face and question why there was no penalty the punishment seems to be 10 minutes.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If you think the officiating was over zealous in Acadia it was really one sided in Halifax tonight. Yes, UNB got frustrated and it wasn't very hard to see why. 9 penalties were called on UNB totalling 28 minutes while SAINT Mary's had 3 penalties totalling 6 minutes.

The "Flavour of the weekend" seems to be the new 2 and 2 call for daring to question a call which I observed 3 times in the 2 games.

Even worse, if you take a stick to the face and question why there was no penalty the punishment seems to be 10 minutes.

The officiating was inconsistent in both games. Friday, it seemed like they would call everything, but missed a few times UNB were on receiving end ... but of course they didn't miss handing unsportsmanlikes for V-Reds barking about non-calls.

Saturday, it looked like they decided that they were "going to let the boys play" which played into SMU's hands as they did their best to disrupt the V-Reds. However they didn't miss the retaliations or chirping over non-calls.

That being said, UNB needs to do a better job of sucking it up. As hard as it is to take it, they have to realize teams are going to do their best to get under their skin, (since they can't skate with them for 60 minutes) and complaining to the refs is just getting them 2's and 10's.

I'm sure it didn't help that their red hot power play went ice cold on the weekend against a couple of hot goalies. That had to be frustrating.

Again, they need to turn the weekend into a teachable moment. Losing focus plays into the other teams' hands. No one is going to give the top team any slack.

Time to man up.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The officianting was worse at the AUC last night in the Acadia game.

Some of the calls were borderline but the issue for me was the lack of consistency.

He calls Petgrave for obstruction, but lets Acadia board Beauvillier after he dumps the puck in.

He calls Petgrace for 10min Misc for talking back, gives Thomas a GM for a 'soft' stick toss in the penalty box and Mignardi 2min minor for talking back after a trip resulting in 4mins? Instead of having the same measuring stick he has a different stick for each player.

The cross-check on Maillet was a bad call - that was CFB. It's 2+10 for a reason (instead of 2+GM) so you may as call it.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

Some of the calls were borderline but the issue for me was the lack of consistency.

He calls Petgrave for obstruction, but lets Acadia board Beauvillier after he dumps the puck in.

He calls Petgrace for 10min Misc for talking back, gives Thomas a GM for a 'soft' stick toss in the penalty box and Mignardi 2min minor for talking back after a trip resulting in 4mins? Instead of having the same measuring stick he has a different stick for each player.

The cross-check on Maillet was a bad call - that was CFB. It's 2+10 for a reason (instead of 2+GM) so you may as call it.

Sounds about right with the 'quality' of officials that we seem to get, just glad that it wasn't O'Shaughnessy last night, it would have been an even bigger s**t show.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

They didn't even call the initial CFB. After Maillet was hit from behind, another player came in with a cross-check just as he was getting back up to his knees, and that's what got called.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
And we wonder why the players get frustrated out there, when the officials turn a blind eye to dangerous plays, and if Thomas sneezes the wrong way he gets penalty :(

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With UNB technically having one roster spot to use (since Trainor hasn't played)...can anyone else see them trying to add someone over the break? Or would that rock the boat too much and maybe create some unnecessary drama? I don't really think they NEED to bring in anyone given who they have sitting every night...but another defenceman, especially if Gazzola remains out for any length of time, might not be the worst thing. Although even then, they could always use Boudens back there if needed.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Any status on Gazzola?

I could see them adding another defenseman for depth.

However, I wouldn't complain if they added another elite forward. Especially hosting Nationals this year.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB reinstating women's hockey

From the UNB release this morning:

• UNB agrees to reinstate women’s varsity hockey at the Atlantic University Sport and U Sports Canada level starting in the 2018-2019 season;
• UNB agrees to revisit its gender equity policy and will provide the Commission and Sylvia Dooley with its revised policy no later than September 1, 2017;
• UNB agrees to withdraw its application for judicial review;
• UNB agrees to:

• Hire a full-time head coach;
• Invest in the infrastructure of the Aitken Centre to create a new coach’s office, therapy room and locker room for the women’s varsity hockey team;
• Provide a head coach with resources to build the team and recruit student athletes;
• Provide resources for equipment and player supplies;
• Provide athletic financial awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->