UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A nice way to start the season. Nice to see Thomas playing well, I always said that they missed his spark the season that he was away.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Was watching the UNB v UPEI game. Francis Beauvillier and UPEI rookie Kurt Etchegary were both assessed fighting majors despite the fact it did not resemble a fight in any way. Completely ridiculous call by the refs. I'm sure the one game suspension is automatic but I hope there is some way they can appeal.

Also, is CHSR doing home games again this year?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I thought the game for fighting majors was automatic?

12.1 In AUS hockey, any five-minute major penalty for fighting, checking from
behind or checking to the head, is a game ejection and a one-game
suspension.
12.2 A second five-minute major penalty for fighting, checking from behind or
checking to the head within the same season is a game ejection and a twogame
suspension.

Thought that it was a very weak call considering the consequences for a major! Did either of them even have their gloves off?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Some interesting notes four games into the season.

Jordan Murray leads the AUS in goal with five and tied with Maillet for the league lead in points with eight. Very impressive for a Dman.

Etienne Marcoux has a .966 save pct and a .50 GAA. Leads league in both department.

Peter Trainor was been a healthy scratch for all four games so far. Looks like he will see limited action this season.

Chris Clapperton might be out until the new year with a broken foot.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Whats the deal with Peter Trainor? Does he just lack work ethic or something. Hes been a healthy scratch not only each game this year but 75% of his UNB career.

We are talking about a player who scored 46 goals and 100 points in the Q one season. Of course that was followed up with the same team in the Q as a older player the next season with only 62 Points in 65 games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Is Petgrave injured? He didn't play last night. I thought it was interesting they went with 5 D/13 forwards instead of sliding Boudens back. Brace played but I don't think I heard his name until the shootout so I don't think he played much. (unless the announcer was saying Brace and not Braes)

As for Trainor, him and Cooper are just victims of the numbers game right now unfortunately. They aren't really checking line players and there really aren't any spots available in the top 6 or 9 right now.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Any word on why Anderson was scratched?

I'm also guessing that Beauvillier will be suspended for at least one game. Maybe more.

I think that it was just a healthy scratch last night for Anderson, as he was playing tonight.

Hoping that it is just the one game for Beauvillier, but it might be two.

Pretty solid effort tonight though, shutting out the #2 ranked team and only allowing 13 shots.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Pretty solid effort tonight I thought. Couple things that I noticed from tonight, Acadia has a big team, but not a speed team. Glover seemed off, thought that he should have made the save on a couple of goals, the others, he had no chance. Thomas is not well liked by the officials, still unsure he was the only one to get a penalty at the end of the second period?
Was sad to see that Critch was a healthy scratch tonight. And hoping that Braes is not hurt, didn't look good when he went off after taking the boarding call.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Pretty solid effort tonight I thought. Couple things that I noticed from tonight, Acadia has a big team, but not a speed team. Glover seemed off, thought that he should have made the save on a couple of goals, the others, he had no chance.

Well Glover is the backup this season. Rookie Devin Williams is hurt right now.

Was sad to see that Critch was a healthy scratch tonight. And hoping that Braes is not hurt, didn't look good when he went off after taking the boarding call.

Well at this point in the season it is probably safe to give him a night off to recover. If needed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pretty solid effort tonight I thought. Couple things that I noticed from tonight, Acadia has a big team, but not a speed team.

Funny you say that as someone I was watching the game with said the exact same thing. Also, they don't seem nearly as dangerous without Cazzola or Franko.

Thomas is not well liked by the officials, still unsure he was the only one to get a penalty at the end of the second period?

Yep...he definitely isn't getting the benefit of the doubt on any calls. They called Braes for roughing after the whistle in the first period but nothing on Makin (I think it was) when he jumped Thomas from behind at the end of the 2nd

Was sad to see that Critch was a healthy scratch tonight.

Unfortunately I think he has been their least effective forward for quite sometime now...going back to the end of last year when I suggested him as a possible scratch. I didn't think they would actually do it though with him being the Captain, but at the end of the day they just have better options than him right now.

Anyone know what the status of Clapperton is? Is it assumed he will miss the entire first half?

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Funny you say that as someone I was watching the game with said the exact same thing. Also, they don't seem nearly as dangerous without Cazzola or Franko.

Yep...he definitely isn't getting the benefit of the doubt on any calls. They called Braes for roughing after the whistle in the first period but nothing on Makin (I think it was) when he jumped Thomas from behind at the end of the 2nd

Unfortunately I think he has been their least effective forward for quite sometime now...going back to the end of last year when I suggested him as a possible scratch. I didn't think they would actually do it though with him being the Captain, but at the end of the day they just have better options than him right now.

Anyone know what the status of Clapperton is? Is it assumed he will miss the entire first half?

Was nice to see Critch get a goal tonight, still didn't get a ton of ice time though! Hoping that Braes in not out long.
Hearing the Clapperton should be back in the next week or so, been skating, I assume working on getting back into game shape.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Was nice to see Critch get a goal tonight, still didn't get a ton of ice time though! Hoping that Braes in not out long.
Hearing the Clapperton should be back in the next week or so, been skating, I assume working on getting back into game shape.

Great news. I wasn't expecting him back until after Xmas.

Speaking of Xmas has there been any news on an opponent for the Pete Kelly Cup?
Last year they didn't announce it until the very last game of the first half.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Very impressive road win in Antigonish. :handclap:

Simpson with his first goal of the season.

If you look at the official AUS box score you will see a handful of game misconducts. Those should read 10min misconducts.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Very impressive road win in Antigonish. :handclap:

Simpson with his first goal of the season.

If you look at the official AUS box score you will see a handful of game misconducts. Those should read 10min misconducts.

I was wondering, couldn't watch the game, so couldn't figure how Jordan got a game in the first but got another penalty in the second? Was all confused. Nice to see them pick up another win in hostile territory!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The box score is pretty messed up...it's showing a bunch of power play and shorthanded goals. As far as I know UNB had 3 PPG and there were no SHG in the game.

The offense has been on fire all year but especially impressive lately with 6, 5, 5, and now 7 goals against X/ACA/SMU/X in their last four games. Hopefully Braes isn't out too long and we can see what they can do with a fully healthy line-up.

With Suellentrop out tonight I never did notice if they had Boudens playing back on D...did anyone else?

Glad to see McIvor come back after taking that hard hit and cutting up his face (which took 9 stitches to close).

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Clapperton saw plenty of ice time tonight. Scored his first of the season. Simpson scored a nice shorthanded goal on a breakaway. Appears to be getting more comfortable.

Both Braes and Sullentrop still out with injuries. Considering how the team is playing so far there shouldn't be any big rush to get them back. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Sullentrop come back soon as they only have 5 natural Dmen playing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->